HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Jaromir Jagr Era is Over

Old
02-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Jagr is not the Jagr of last season or the year before.

But he sure as hell is still a decent top 6 RW IMO and because of this should be on the team next year.

No problem if he signs a contract similar to shanny's with performance bonuses for points and playoff wins.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 08:22 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Don't think you'll have to.

By all accounts, he'll either come back to NY or retire from the NHL.
Ola has it spot on.

The guy, whether you agree or not, revived your franchise. He gave them both success and time to groom the young guys.

He's still a top-10 RWer, and somehow, IMO there's a good chance he could be a top-10 player come April. He'll always get the opposition best players off guys like Gomez and Drury. He's lived with pressure all of his career.

And finally, I have no idea why people seem to think that a team struggling to separate it from the pack in the playoff run, would be better off without guys like Jagr, Shanny, Straka or Rozsival.
You replace them all with rookies and stars from fallen franchises, and it would get ugly.

Remember, this is hockeysfuture, you know the drill...if you are not guaranteed a Cup, you have to rebuild. I've long been an advocate of young players getting their opportunity to make the roster. But, this is a team, (while it may have taken 2/3's of the season to do so), which was put together to be successful in the playoffs. Is it flawed? As much as any of the other top teams in the East. But, the Rangers play very well in playoff-type games, (such as yesterday). And, basically, the Rangers can compete with any team in the east. And, they are intergrating young players in the process. They also have quite a few young players who may be ready next year to make the NHL, and two stud prospects, Cherepanov and Sanguinetti, also on the way. But, since this is HF, this needs to be done at hyperspeed.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

pretty sure, if Jagr doesn't mind taking a pay cut, the NYR would be all over re-signing him for one year at 5 million. The other options in that price bracket are Rolston and Huselius.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

you think its possible Jagr was Clemens'd up in "06?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Not unless Gypsy Tears are a federally banned substance.

I'm not sure whats up with Jagr. Instead of shooting bombs from the PP he just sits by the side boards.

He also seems to be outshined by his new linemates, but that is probably because they go a million miles an hour and play a NS game. He creates the space for them to do so.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
I would trade Jagr because he isn't doing anything at this point...Our newest signings like Drury and Gomez are doing their job and the youngsters(dawes,staal,dubinsky,callahan) as well. I would trade Jagr at this point to get something valuable back while he's still with us.

NYR-ATL Proposal:

NYR: Jagr
Malik
Prucha
Sang
2nd rounder
3rd rounder

Atlanta: Marian Hossa
Did Jorts register a 2nd account?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
Not unless Gypsy Tears are a federally banned substance.

I'm not sure whats up with Jagr. Instead of shooting bombs from the PP he just sits by the side boards.

He also seems to be outshined by his new linemates, but that is probably because they go a million miles an hour and play a NS game. He creates the space for them to do so.

His shoulder is just shot. I think that's what it comes down to. I think he's honestly scared of blowing it out again with one big slapper.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Well, yes, Hossa is not a perfect player by any means, and still has a lot to prove, but quite simply he's the best option available unless we can pull of a miracle trade, or a draft steal this summer who is ready to play right away.

But what we cannot afford is to pay a mediocre Jagr anything more than ~4 million to come back and TRY to carry this team offensively.
For next year, Hossa might be a better option then Jagr. Probably would be if JJ don't improve. But note that he only got 4 more pts then JJ this season.

But I wouldn't be suprised if JJ was willing to come back next year for a one year 6m contract. Hossa could get anything from 5-7 years times 8m per.

If we keep Jagr for next season -- we get another 12 month to replace him from within. And we get to aim at next seasons UFA crop that is MUCH bigger then this years.

You indicate that Jagr might not be able to carry this team offensivly, that Hossa might be able to, but in any case JJ isn't worth more then 4m per. I think thats argument is flawed because JJ is still tremendously much better then any likely option AFTER Marian Hossa. Like Ryan Malone for example.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
SouvenirCity

Hey all, first time poster and Rangers Season ticket holder.

I was at the Rangers Sharks game yesterday, and the main thing with Jag's doesn't seem to be that he's "done" but that now in the new NHL his "game" seems to be a thing of the past. A perfect example of this was when Komisarek was beating him up. Now that every team knows he's just gonna sit at the half-board, or behind the net, they key on that and shut him down. The only thing that can really re-vamp Jag's career is what he was doing yesterday and against Buffalo. He needs to allow himself to be less of the main attraction, and just make short passes to others to gradually make them better. I totally agree that we should trade him, but if we don't he seems to be meshing very well with Dubey in the last few games.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
For next year, Hossa might be a better option then Jagr. Probably would be if JJ don't improve. But note that he only got 4 more pts then JJ this season.

But I wouldn't be suprised if JJ was willing to come back next year for a one year 6m contract. Hossa could get anything from 5-7 years times 8m per.

If we keep Jagr for next season -- we get another 12 month to replace him from within. And we get to aim at next seasons UFA crop that is MUCH bigger then this years.
Exactly. I think that this team needs to take a year off before signing any more 7m players to long term contracts. There's something very scary about the idea of signing 4 of those guys in 1 years time. I think it would be wise to spread things out a bit so as not to leave ourselves with no flexibility.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Hey all, first time poster and Rangers Season ticket holder.

I was at the Rangers Sharks game yesterday, and the main thing with Jag's doesn't seem to be that he's "done" but that now in the new NHL his "game" seems to be a thing of the past. A perfect example of this was when Komisarek was beating him up. Now that every team knows he's just gonna sit at the half-board, or behind the net, they key on that and shut him down. The only thing that can really re-vamp Jag's career is what he was doing yesterday and against Buffalo. He needs to allow himself to be less of the main attraction, and just make short passes to others to gradually make them better. I totally agree that we should trade him, but if we don't he seems to be meshing very well with Dubey in the last few games.
Welcome to the forums! As for your post, I agree. Jagr needs to move around more...once he stops he's just getting mauled. That said, he's had at least 2 or 3 point blank chances from the slot the past couple of games and he's just not finding the net.

Old
02-18-2008, 11:00 AM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Welcome to the forums! As for your post, I agree. Jagr needs to move around more...once he stops he's just getting mauled. That said, he's had at least 2 or 3 point blank chances from the slot the past couple of games and he's just not finding the net.
What iv'e seen is that he has been finding the net, its just rather than firing a wrister past the goalie (a la 2 years ago), he seems to be firing them right into the glove or chest. Also if anyone saw the interview with Jags from Saturday, you definitely need to take the captaincy away, I mean the guys gotta be bringing the whole team down.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
cljbice

oilers -rangers proposal jagr+1st for pitkanen

cljbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cljbice View Post
oilers -rangers proposal jagr+1st for pitkanen
Done, pending Pitkanen signs an extension

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
WHAT IF: Jagr all of a sudden turns it on in the playoffs and singlehandedly shoots us into semis....

what would you say....?

- he is out of the slump we knew he was in and he would get out eventually

or

-no room for JJ for future this is Gomez/s team

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
WHAT IF: Jagr all of a sudden turns it on in the playoffs and singlehandedly shoots us into semis....

what would you say....?

or

In that scenario, I think JJ makes the call. Was that the last gasp of an amazing career, or has he regained his touch?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Trever1982*

Jagr

I definitely think it's time to trade Jagr. What's wrong with taking chances? he's more than likely going to be a free agent after this year anyways so why not get a first round draft pick some prospects and maybe a replacement as well for someone who isn't producing

Petr Prucha needs a roster spot anyways

Trever1982* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever1982 View Post
I definitely think it's time to trade Jagr. What's wrong with taking chances? he's more than likely going to be a free agent after this year anyways so why not get a first round draft pick some prospects and maybe a replacement as well for someone who isn't producing

Petr Prucha needs a roster spot anyways
Please, Prucha will be gone before JJ.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

what would you say....?

or

if he turns it on and totally dominates, like he should be, i would say sign him for one more year......or extend his contract......and keep the rebuilding going on....

i would let shanahan, straka, malik, mara all walk and try to fix those holes from within and maybe get another young winger if possible......but i would continue trying to build the team around gomez and drury

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
What iv'e seen is that he has been finding the net, its just rather than firing a wrister past the goalie (a la 2 years ago), he seems to be firing them right into the glove or chest. Also if anyone saw the interview with Jags from Saturday, you definitely need to take the captaincy away, I mean the guys gotta be bringing the whole team down.
that's what i meant...maybe i should have said he's not finding the back of the net. instead he's shooting the puck right into the goalies chest as you mentioned. he's still getting one or two of those great chances per game...it's just that he's not converting...when he used to be just about automatic.

Old
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I've only been advocating trading JJ since before the season. What this team could get for JJ would be more beneficial to the organization that what he produces now. Stop being hopeful that he's going to "GET HOT". On other threads I've posted stats where when Jagr's played his best hockey, the Rangers weren't and when the Ranger's were playing their best hockey, Jagr wasn't. This team doesn't need him, he's not important to the team, and he should be moved. DO NOT sign him again, trade him now, get what you can from him, and lets move on. He's done wonders for NY for the previous two seasons, lets let him help NY in his last season with the Rangers and lets let him bring back something in a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Remember, this is hockeysfuture, you know the drill...if you are not guaranteed a Cup, you have to rebuild....since this is HF, this needs to be done at hyperspeed.
Are you suggesting that trading Jagr is rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Sure, it's possible, I'd hope that hockey players are above that though.

Quote:
...Also if anyone saw the interview with Jags from Saturday, you definitely need to take the captaincy away, I mean the guys gotta be bringing the whole team down.
Which is why moving Jagr is even addition by subtraction at this point. Why continue hanging onto something that isn't there anymore and prevent you from moving forward. Trade him and move the C and the team focus somewhere else.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
HenriksBetter

Quote:

what would you say....?

or

I have seen all these what if posts all season long and it is getting old to be honest. There are only 20 games left after tonight and Jagr has yet to turn it on like a lot of people have said he will. Jagr is no longer a 1st line scoring threat. Hell he isn't even getting double teamed as often as he was last season because he has become so much less effective. If he isn't gone in the offseason like i hope he will be, he should be on the second line next season, be getting no more than $4 mil. and without a no trade clause in the contract.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote