HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie pads

Old
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Airborne Troll*

vCash: 500
Goalie pads

Should I buy these pads for 200$ Is it a good price?

Btw, is 32'' enough for a guy that is 5''10'' ?

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
SpItFiReZ

They are an older verision but for 200$ (if in good condition, all straps, no rips etc) for sure.

However, I'm 5'9 and wear 34" pads. So may be small unless you like shorter pads.

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

I'm 5'9 as well and mine are 32". they do their job. thats all that matters.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Heatons are very good quality as well, (recent) brand new ones cost around $500-$700

Henrique Iglesias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
MikeD

Not a bad price. As for fit, over all hight is a very poor indicator of size needed. The inseam meeasure of a well fit pair of slacks works better. IF your inseam is 32" (floor to groin in sock feet) is 32" they would be your MIN pad length and the knee should be near middle of the cradle. IF your inseam is longer than 32" then you want a taller pad. Match your inseam as a MIN or +2" of it for a MAX stock pad.

IF you want anything taller than +2" of your inseam be sure its with the extra length being added thigh rise. If not your knee will site near bottom or below the cradle.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:39 AM
eleventy

Actually the best way to measure goalie pads is to determine your ATK (ankle-to-knee). Have a seat, find some measuring tape, and measure from your ankle bone to the middle of your knee cap. Then multiply that number by 2. This is GENERALLY the recommended size of your goal pad. Personal play style and comfort level of course affect this. I'm 5'6" with an ATK of 16.5inches, and I use 33+1 goal pads. But I play an almost completely butterfly style game, and benefit from somewhat longer pads.

With regards to those pads you found, decent price, but I think they're too short for you unless your style of play is completely stand-up style. If you go down to butterfly, your knees are going to be exposed. Not only that, but I don't think your knee is going to be in the middle of the cradle anyway (as MikeD alluded to).

Depending on what level of hockey you play, you might want to check out clearance sales on new equipment. Goaliemonkey.com has some pretty decent stuff for sale, and for a bit more, you'd be able to get new, properly fitted stuff. I'm sure if you look around a bit more, you could also find good used stuff that actually fits too. Good luck!

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:06 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

All goalie gear questions here: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php
You'll def. get a good answer there.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
$200 is a good price... And as for sizing, I'm about 5'10" (a little taller) and wore 32" pads when I was playing more often. Then my brother bought some 34" pads and I use those when I play now (he doesn't play anymore), because they're better quality and are much lighter. But I think the 32" pads may have fit a bit better (I'd probably prefer 33", just to be somewhere in the middle). I'd say go to a local hockey shop, try on some 32" and 34" pads and see which fit better. The fit won't be exact unless you find the same pads (which you probably won't), but it'll give you a better idea of what you should be looking for.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
id take it, 32" is good for 5"10, if you keep growing they'll last you a few years, im 5'9 and i have 31" and if anything, their a little big.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
id take it, 32" is good for 5"10, if you keep growing they'll last you a few years, im 5'9 and i have 31" and if anything, their a little big.
Has nothing to do with height and everything to do with your ATK measurement (Ankle - To - Knee). I'm 6'3" and wear 37" + 2" on the thigh. I know goalies my height who comfortably wear 34" pads. I don't have a sizing chart off the top of my head for Heaton, but as someone else suggested, check out GoalieStore.

-- George.

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
ya, just go check it out at the goalie store, and if your still not sure just ask if you can try them on before buying them,

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan094 View Post
Has nothing to do with height and everything to do with your ATK measurement (Ankle - To - Knee). I'm 6'3" and wear 37" + 2" on the thigh. I know goalies my height who comfortably wear 34" pads. I don't have a sizing chart off the top of my head for Heaton, but as someone else suggested, check out GoalieStore.

-- George.
Garth, is that You? JK

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Brodeur

Ah, yes, the Heaton 10 seniors. I had those exact pads, here's a picture of me using them for ball hockey: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75...ranSzeliga.jpg

Actually, from the thumbnail of the picture you posted, it appears to be the pro version of the pad. $200 is a very good price for those. I'm 5'10 and the 32" were a little short for me when I started to play the butterfly. I've since gone to 36" RBKs.

If you're a butterfly guy, you might not have the widest butterfly and/or your 5-hole might be exposed a bit with those pads. I miss those Heaton 10s though, if I could find a pair of 35" in Brodeur colors on eBay I'd probably buy them.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
All goalie gear questions here: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php
You'll def. get a good answer there.
A poster will get some pretty good answers right here and not have to worry about 1:getting flamed, 2 told to do a SEARCH , 3, have to wade through the BS and pettyness of many nor wait a month for a registration application to be approved. Shill for them all you like but know that your insulting the goalies who do participate here.

ATK is one part of the measure used for fitting a pad but many dont know where. Top of knee, middle of knee, top of knee cap....etc etc. You would also have to look at a chart for the specfic maker to then get the conversion to full length. Then one has to take into account that some manufacturers run larger and are based on the latest BIGGER is Better buttrfly method. There is also the knee to thigh as well as skate size that factor into a pad size selection.

Making it VERY simple for those who just dont have the resources to try before buy and such was a goal of mine going back into the early eaighties, when I started what was called The Guardien Fund. It provided financial assistance for organized youth hockey goalies. Either in purchase of gear or one seasons league/association fees.

Taking data collected for a little over 75 youth and adult MALE goalies, using both the industry standards and Inseam measure, over 98% of the subjects fell inside the INSEAM MEASURE as the MIN PAD size. At +2" of the inseam measure, the knee of almost 99% fell at the low limit of the knee cradle. Applying that to Guardien Fund recipients, it served to fit over 100 new and experienced goalies.

Just taking a look and comparison of those above...I am 5'7" but wear a larger pad than CSN who is 5'9"? I wear a 32" pad (Heaton 6-6800 Pro/ pre CCM buy out) My inseam measure is 31. ATK and KTT measures put me in a 32" pad. I went with the 32" which put my knee just a tad below center of craddle. I could safely swing a 33" STOCK pad but being an old timer I was pretty set in my personal preference. I still wear the 6800's but will be upgrading to te Smith 5000 as soon as my youngest out grows his. LOL I was fortunate that his measures matched mine exactly when he finally made the jump to senior sizes at the end of his Pee Wee major season.

Obviously this will not fit 100% of the people out there and we all have our personal preferences BUT it will serve very well for just about any new goalie who hasnt formed that preference nor gained the knowledge to be able to take accurate ATK and KTT measures. For those who doubt it, chekc this against your own measures and your current pads. For all but the PURE BUTTERFLY it will fit 99% of the time. Even in the butterfly catagory it fits well but that group tends to have the added thigh rise to close the five while they extend for the widest possible flare.

Last edited by MikeD: 02-20-2008 at 06:02 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote