HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shutting up their critics, chasing away their ghosts

Old
02-18-2008, 02:09 PM
jean004

vCash: 500
Shutting up their critics, chasing away their ghosts

Over the summer, many predicted the HABS around 13th in the East and far from a playoff spot. I think it is clear that our Canadiens have made their critics bury their heads in the sand.

I am really impressed with this team. Although there are still a few things to do in order to be considered a true contender/great team, our Canadiens have done many things this year to show that they are truly becoming and going to be an elite team.

The following are accomplishments this year that I take note, and pride in. These are also things that are showing the rest of the league that we are truly and up and coming team.

1. We returned from a 3-1 deficit in the 3rd period against New Jersey and Marty Brodeur. Who would have said that Montreal would be able to perform such a comeback?

2. After so many questions marks being put regarding our offense, we are 4th in the league for most goals for. We have been in this spot consistently for pretty much the whole year as well. Who would of thought....

3. First one the powerplay in the league, for pretty much the second straight year.

4. After many people stating that we have trouble on HNIC, we comeout with a big shutout win at HOME....thanks to Price.

5. For the longest time since I can remember, we have swept a home and home series and with back to back games in two nights. When was this done last?

6. We have been horrible at home in the first half of the season. However we have turned this around. We are 6-3-1 in our last 10 games at the phone book. We are also 6-3-1 on our last 10 games on the road, to no one's surprise I am sure.

I am particularly proud of all these things, not to mention the great team chemistry in the room so far and seeing the guys defend one another even though we are a ''small'' team. We have definitely chased some of our ghosts in this year in many ways.

That being said, to be considered a top team in the league, we need to show that we are capable of owning top teams such as Ottawa, Detroit, and winning consistently against a team like New Jersey, the likes of the Leafs. Also we need to show that we can own on night in and night out, bottoms teams like Toronto and Florida.

We seem to have a hard time beating the top team that is the Sens and a team like Detroit, and seem to also have a hard time against bottom teams, however we own many of the teams that are in the middle of the pack.

We have been very consistent team all year, having our worst losing streak at 3 games, the best in the league if I am not mistaken.

We should be proud and applause rather than continuously be bringing out the negatives. No team can be perfect. No team can score 6 goals every game and let in 0. And it is pretty much impossible to win every game in a year, especially in today's very competitive NHL.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean004 View Post
...We should be proud..
I know I am. I may hate a player for a few hours, scream at another for a while or be mad at the whole team after a bad game, but I will always love the Habs. Especially this year, I'm quite proud!

Hey Habs!: And iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, eeeiiiiiiiiiiiiii, will always love youuuuuuuu, ouuuuu ouuuuuu lalala!!!

Even when we lose, my gf asks why am I still watching. I just can't change channel on a Habs game, even in defeat.

roy munson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
I know I am. I may hate a player for a few hours, scream at another for a while or be mad at the whole team after a bad game, but I will always love the Habs. Especially this year, I'm quite proud!

Hey Habs!: And iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, eeeiiiiiiiiiiiiii, will always love youuuuuuuu, ouuuuu ouuuuuu lalala!!!

Even when we lose, my gf asks why am I still watching. I just can't change channel on a Habs game, even in defeat.
I know what you mean, I won't change the channel, and am in a bad mood until pretty much the next morning when I wake up. Although she is a Sens fan, I am turning her into a Habs fan by default as now she wants the Habs to win just so that I am in a good mood. Life just isn't a joy when our Canadiens play like crap.

Old
02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

Quote:
I know what you mean, I won't change the channel, and am in a bad mood until pretty much the next morning when I wake up. Although she is a Sens fan, I am turning her into a Habs fan by default as now she wants the Habs to win just so that I am in a good mood. Life just isn't a joy when our Canadiens play like crap.
This can usually be cured with a bit of rest and a couple of Advil. Would she be a Leafs fan, well.. there isn't really a cure for that. Keep up the good work for turning her into a Habs fan!

Old
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
jean004

Quote:
This can usually be cured with a bit of rest and a couple of Advil. Would she be a Leafs fan, well.. there isn't really a cure for that. Keep up the good work for turning her into a Habs fan!
If she was a leafs fan....well there would be no mention of her...its bad enough I have to be related to a brother who is a leafs fan...where did he go wrong?....

Old
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Silver bullets.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Silver bullets.
OMG!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Let's just say that I'm glad to have been incorrect. I thought they'd be struggling to make the playoffs and would probably wind up on the outside of the bubble. I've never had so much fun being wrong.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Habs

<partypooper>

The season isn't over yet, please don't jinx this franchise.
Thanks.

</partypooper>

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Stephen Locke*

Let's purposely bump this thread in April.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

7. We've accomplished some great things even with Breezer in the line up.
8. We're tied with San Jose for the second least amount of regulation losses. Only Detroit has less then us (this could change if their losing streak keeps going on)

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
bipolarhabfan

I am pleasantly surprised at seeing the team reach this level of success this season. I am very proud of the way they have played and the fact that they only have 19 regulation losses in 60 odd games. Illustrates a very competitive club.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
znk

Chasing away their ghosts. That's something that should be avoided.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

Quote:
There's was NO WAY I wasn't gonna quote myself after this! WooHoo!!!

Old
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
ari1160

i just LOVE the habs... i love em soo much that am gona start crying now.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:05 AM
jean004

Quote:
Over the summer, many predicted the HABS around 13th in the East and far from a playoff spot. I think it is clear that our Canadiens have made their critics bury their heads in the sand.

I am really impressed with this team. Although there are still a few things to do in order to be considered a true contender/great team, our Canadiens have done many things this year to show that they are truly becoming and going to be an elite team.

The following are accomplishments this year that I take note, and pride in. These are also things that are showing the rest of the league that we are truly and up and coming team.

1. We returned from a 3-1 deficit in the 3rd period against New Jersey and Marty Brodeur. Who would have said that Montreal would be able to perform such a comeback?

2. After so many questions marks being put regarding our offense, we are 4th in the league for most goals for. We have been in this spot consistently for pretty much the whole year as well. Who would of thought....

3. First one the powerplay in the league, for pretty much the second straight year.

4. After many people stating that we have trouble on HNIC, we comeout with a big shutout win at HOME....thanks to Price.

5. For the longest time since I can remember, we have swept a home and home series and with back to back games in two nights. When was this done last?

6. We have been horrible at home in the first half of the season. However we have turned this around. We are 6-3-1 in our last 10 games at the phone book. We are also 6-3-1 on our last 10 games on the road, to no one's surprise I am sure.

I am particularly proud of all these things, not to mention the great team chemistry in the room so far and seeing the guys defend one another even though we are a ''small'' team. We have definitely chased some of our ghosts in this year in many ways.

That being said, to be considered a top team in the league, we need to show that we are capable of owning top teams such as Ottawa, Detroit, and winning consistently against a team like New Jersey, the likes of the Leafs. Also we need to show that we can own on night in and night out, bottoms teams like Toronto and Florida.

We seem to have a hard time beating the top team that is the Sens and a team like Detroit, and seem to also have a hard time against bottom teams, however we own many of the teams that are in the middle of the pack.

We have been very consistent team all year, having our worst losing streak at 3 games, the best in the league if I am not mistaken.

We should be proud and applause rather than continuously be bringing out the negatives. No team can be perfect. No team can score 6 goals every game and let in 0. And it is pretty much impossible to win every game in a year, especially in today's very competitive NHL.
7. Win 6-5 in shootout vs NYR. Add to this list, saving ourselves from a season sweep by the NYR, and a 0-5 comeback. Only time in HABS history (100 years) where the HABS return from a 5 goal deficit in any game and win the game.

The game in NJ and vs NYR at the phone book will be pivotal games of our season and how we hold ourselves from now on and into the playoffs.

A message was sent to the league tonight that the Club de Hockey des Canadiens de Montreal will not let itself get pushed around and will never give up.

An identity is formed!

Old
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
LesCanadiens

Decent post there....

Gotta say, it's sometimes humorous, sometimes annoying reading the panic-riddled threads when we play a stinker....us old-timers never get too low and never get too high, for the latter: until our captain is skating around the rink with the cup over his shoulders, of course. .

And please....I think this season puts a huge exlamation mark on the FACT that Gainey is a great GM, we should thank the gods each day that HE chose to take up the task of bringing another cup here (his only goal), and that the Gainey criticizers don't have even a atom-sized clue about the game of hockey outside EA sports.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Trexim

vCash: 594
Talk about ghosts .... Wonder if the Forum ghosts really move to the Phone Booth yet ... Habs fans miss them the last decades or so ...

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote