Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft 2004 - 1st Pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Hybrid

vCash: 500
Calgary did really good in the draft it was more than just luck. Phaneuf turned out to be better than the D's picked ahead of him, Ramholt would be a 1st rounder easy if the draft was taken again, Greg Moore looked like a late round steal, and Tyler Johnson has been great since being traded to Red Deer. Also it looked like Sutter was going to pick Richards if Phaneuf wasn't available so it looks like he knew what he was doing.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
Calgarys track record in the draft is horrible.
You really think it's been that bad since Button re-organized it after the Coates era?

You must really not like Lombardi and Kobasew I guess. And obviously don't have any faith in Taratukhin, Trubachev, Maki, Nystrom, etc.

Personally I think our scouting has improved tremendously since Coates's staff was mostly dismissed. Button and Sands seem to have a better eye for talent than Mackenzie or Polano (especially Polano) did.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:47 PM
vega007

Eric Nystrom is a bum with no heart and will never make it to the AHL, never mind the NHL.

he is nothing like his dad. this two bit loser was a fourth line player all year and is all about himself

Old
04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Eric Nystrom is a bum with no heart and will never make it to the AHL, never mind the NHL.

he is nothing like his dad. this two bit loser was a fourth line player all year and is all about himself
LOL!

Old
04-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

"Highly profitable" and "scouting business" is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you agree?

And what has Eric Nystrom done in the past seven weeks to so dramatically change your opinion of him? Being named captain for next season? Yeah, I guess that proves he's all about himself.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...210#post933210

Give it up, junior. You're being knocked senseless in this thread.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll say this about Nick Polano: He believed in Martin St. Louis and implored Al Coates to sign him. St. Louis thanks him to this day for helping him start down the path.

Polano's name might be mud with Calgary fans in hindsight, but there's been worse evaluators of talent. The Ottawa Senators saw fit to take take him on as a pro scout. They're no slouches when it comes to strong organizations.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

You're hurting your credibility big time. We'll be remembering this post when Nystrom makes his pro debut and NHL debut.

Old
04-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Zhackpot

Vega007 has been awful quiet since called on the carpet. Completely avoided the "who do you scout for?" question.

Polano was partly responsible for the Detroit drafts of the early to mid 80's and helped Calgary stockpile talent that was either given up on or shipped out in other deals. Yes, some of the draft decisions should be blamed on the scouts.

But also partly to blame in Calgary was the ownership situation and the sense of urgency to win and get back to the playoffs in the late 90's early 2000's. Pressure to keep an eroding fan base factored into many decisions.

Also,don't forget the Flames were very reluctant to move youngsters in to the lineup back in the late 80's and early 90's. As a result, they tended to draft players that were more projects rather than blue-chippers so they could develop them. The fact that player salaries escalated as quickly as they did certainly didn't help the Flames when they had to ship out players such as Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Fleury, Vernon without having anyone ready to fill those roles.

Lots of factors went into the Flames past draft blunders but looking at some of the players who have blossomed since leaving Calgary ( insert the usual suspects here), tells me the scouts were about as good or "lucky" as any other teams and probably more so than most of the teams.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
You're hurting your credibility big time. We'll be remembering this post when Nystrom makes his pro debut and NHL debut.
vega really doesn't have any credibility.. all his posts are nonsensical and overly pessimistic.. i dont know why he posts stuff like that consistently..

Old
04-21-2004, 07:47 AM
vega007

honestly guys I watch a tonne of NCAA hockey and I don't think that Nystrom could have cracked the HITMEN roster, never mind the Flames. Eric Nystrom is a bum who is all about himself and doesn't care about the team. Ramholt is a hard worker but I just don't think he has the talent to make it. I hope I'm wrong

Old
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
honestly guys I watch a tonne of NCAA hockey and I don't think that Nystrom could have cracked the HITMEN roster, never mind the Flames. Eric Nystrom is a bum who is all about himself and doesn't care about the team. Ramholt is a hard worker but I just don't think he has the talent to make it. I hope I'm wrong
Seems like a bad choice to be picked as the captain next year for Michigan then doesn't it? Are you saying Red Berenson doesn't have a clue about his players? Seems like he would have been a poor choice to captain the US World Junior team as well, I wonder why those coaches gave the captaincy to such a poor team player?

Everything I've read points to Nystrom being an excellent team player. I think if he was all about himself you'd probably see him with more points as he "selfishly" racked them up. Instead we see a guy who seems to buy into whatever role Berenson wants him to play.

If you had criticized his talent or stuff like that, it might be valid but seriously you're the first and only person I've ever read, talked to, etc who said Nystrom is selfish and not a team player.

Ramholt is a hard worker but doesn't have enough talent? What Ramholt are you watching? The Ramholt I watched in camp is probably more purely skilled with the puck than Phaneuf. He's also a tremendous skater. Last year before the draft people were questioning if he'd want to make the NHL and play in North America coming from Switzerland but he answered all those questions.

These criticisms just don't seem right. Nystrom not a team player? Ramholt not talented enough? Seems about the same as critizing Krahn for being too small and Phaneuf for playing soft. In both cases you're the first and only person to suggest those weaknesses. Kinda makes you wonder...

Old
04-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Badger Bob

Bobby Nystrom said that Eric was more skilled than himself, but not quite as tough. If that's the case, it's something the Flames can live with. He's projected as a solid 3rd liner, and there's nothing wrong with that, especially since he was selected in a weak draft year.

Tim Ramholt had no difficulty in adjusting to the North American game. He already played the right style to conform seamlessly.

Old
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
vega007

I hope I'm wrong......

Closed Thread