HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitch walks out of practice - sends message to players....

Old
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Hitch walks out of practice - sends message to players....

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/02...most_out.shtml

Quote:
What a wild day in the world of covering hockey.

The Blue Jackets coaching staff walked out of the rink today and let the players practice by themselves at the University of Ottawa ice rink. Read that sentence again. In the world of hockey, this represents a pretty big deal, a real eye-opener for the players.
Apparently it worked when he would do it in big-D -- hopefully it'll lead to some positive outcome tomorrow....

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Good move Hitch, about damn time.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
blahblah

Is it just me or is the Dispatch actually getting pretty good at Jackets coverage? I'm been fairly happy with their coverage this year. They may not know hockey really well, but they are providing a lot more information. I would be curious how many hits they get on that blog, I know I go there daily.

Kudos and keep improving Dispatch. 1460 needs to take note.

This story is very interesting to me. Wonder what the reaction was by the team. I find this more interesting then the trade talks.... lol

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Is it just me or is the Dispatch actually getting pretty good at Jackets coverage? I'm been fairly happy with their coverage this year. They may not know hockey really well, but they are providing a lot more information. I would be curious how many hits they get on that blog, I know I go there daily.

This story is very interesting to me. Wonder what the reaction was by the team. I find this more interesting then the trade talks.... lol
The addition of the blogs have been incredible. It certainly scratches my itch. I think Portzline is running with his first big show job and he is doing a good job.

Great move by Hitch, I love mixing things up. I just wish he would have tried it 2 weeks ago.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
The addition of the blogs have been incredible. It certainly scratches my itch. I think Portzline is running with his first big show job and he is doing a good job.

Great move by Hitch, I love mixing things up. I just wish he would have tried it 2 weeks ago.
The teaser with the follow-up story is awesome, I can't wait to read the Dispatch tomorrow.... Good stuff...

You can only pull stuff like this every once in a while, otherwise it losing meaning. But yeah, I get your point.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
pipe dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

No it's not just you. compared to the years past they have done a great job this year and I hope they do more next year. Now I think 1460 needs to grow up this is the NHL who cares about football and your bumpkin coverage

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Dirtydownshift

Unfortunately, it's pretty much too late to be of benefit for the season, assuming the players were to respond. We have 20 games and have been targeting 96 points. The CBJ would need to close out at 16-3-1 and have had their a$$e$ handed to them by Toronto, St. Louis and Chicago during the last 6 days.

Dirtydownshift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
BluejacketNut

But the important question is, did they have a players only meeting?

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:08 PM
CBJwheel

Maybe the players will rebel and screw up in Ottawa tonight on purpose...

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

yea the coverage has been unbelievable

and good job by Hitch! this team needs some tough love

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
CBJSlash

We will beat the Sens 7-0 and lose the next 5 games.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Interesting move. Maybe they'll take notice & use this as a motivator to go on a tear again. Earlier this year after being embarrassed by STL, they won four straight.

Then came the All-Star break.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Dispatch stepping up their coverage even more.....

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...odayintro.html

Quote:
Introducing 'CBJ Today'

Dispatch.com readers can now receive the latest stories and breaking news about the Columbus Blue Jackets delivered to their e-mail. CBJ Today, our newest e-mail newsletter, is sent each morning with that day's Jackets and NHL stories from The Dispatch.

In addition to receiving the daily headline e-mails, you'll also be sent alerts to breaking news about the Blue Jackets and links to Web-only extras from The Dispatch's beat writers.

To sign up for CBJ Today, change your e-mail address or e-mail format (HTML or text) or to discontinue delivery of this newsletter, please go to our "Edit Profile" page. Enter your e-mail address and password, then edit your profile. (The option to receive CBJ Today is last on the list under "Mailings and Newsletters." Just check the box beside CBJ Today, scroll down on the page and click "submit.")

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:26 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Hitch addressed the "walk out" on his show today. See notes in the Hitch Show thread.

Hitch didn't term it as a "walk out." He soft pedalled it. He said he led them through the video review of the loss, and then left it to the team leaders to conduct the practice. He added something to the effect that they needed it, that the coaches had done all they could do. As he described it, it didn't seem like an act of petulance which the term "walk out" tends towards.

Dispatch coverage has been very good. 1460 pales vastly by comparison, which is odd because they are owned by the same company.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Hitch addressed the "walk out" on his show today. See notes in the Hitch Show thread.

Hitch didn't term it as a "walk out." He soft pedalled it. He said he led them through the video review of the loss, and then left it to the team leaders to conduct the practice. He added something to the effect that they needed it, that the coaches had done all they could do. As he described it, it didn't seem like an act of petulance which the term "walk out" tends towards.

Dispatch coverage has been very good. 1460 pales vastly by comparison, which is odd because they are owned by the same company.
So, Adam Foote instructed the defense in preparation for the Stanley Cup runners up? Oh, I've got a good feeling about this.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
Interesting move. Maybe they'll take notice & use this as a motivator to go on a tear again. Earlier this year after being embarrassed by STL, they won four straight.

Then came the All-Star break.
It's all because Rick Nash was snubbed from AS MVP, LeClaire was snubbed from the AS game and Bill Clement didn't include Hitchcock in his Top 10 coaches of the year list.

The NHL hates Columbus.

Dirtydownshift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

The NHL does hate Columbus, no arguments there.

I think this "message" by Hitch and the staff is too little too late, he should've done it before they made the trip up to Detroit.

The "message" certainly seems to discredit his earlier qoutes of begging Scottie not to dismantle this team...

This is news that If I were Hitch, I wouldn't have wanted to get out to the media.

As far as 1460 vs. The Dispatch goes...its clear that the Dispatch is the "good" cop... Don't know much about Reed, but Arace and Portie struggled the first few years and we were critical, Portie is very good now, methinks.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 02-20-2008 at 08:12 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

He half-assed his own walkout, then.

I bet the players shot all the DVDs into the nets, and someone will be out with another mutilated pinky.

I can just see/hear the quotes from players asked about it:

"Hitch is a great coach. He knows how to win. He did this in Dallas, and it really motivated the team. We'll come out hard tomorrow because of this."

"Hitch has done for me what he did for Modano....Wait, what was the question again?"

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

So...you're saying he should have been like....

and should have thrown this....

back around...

Would have been ok with me.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
He half-assed his own walkout, then.

I bet the players shot all the DVDs into the nets, and someone will be out with another mutilated pinky.

I can just see/hear the quotes from players asked about it:

"Hitch is a great coach. He knows how to win. He did this in Dallas, and it really motivated the team. We'll come out hard tomorrow because of this."

"Hitch has done for me what he did for Modano....Wait, what was the question again?"
Bullseye Ren. The players just seem to be going through the motions.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I think this "message" by Hitch and the staff is too little too late, he should've done it before they made the trip up to Detroit.
He should have done this after the post ASG road trip. Had he done it then and had Howson been able to bring in a guy like Brad Richards sooner the Jackets would be darn close to being in 8th spot right now. I also think trading Shelley during that time was very poor insight to what makes a team click mentally, Shelley needed to go but not not then.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
federov just showed them pictures of his girlfriends before he won the cup and then after. i think that should work.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
federov just showed them pictures of his girlfriends before he won the cup and then after. i think that should work.
Trade that *******. Now they've done so much shooting before the game that they won't have anything left for Ottawa.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Doctor Spin

Very good reporting as usual by AP. Everything that happens at practice in the NHL is public knowledge minutes after, so you have to believe Hitch wants it all out there, particularly that a "valued" guy like Foote stepped in to lead practice. Just like his comments about how "valuable" his players were and how they were such a cohesive group. Folk shouldn't forget that before the hockey world took him, I believe Hitch was a very successful salesman. He's doing a great job adding some value to a group of past-their-prime rentals and younger UFAs we won't be able to resign at a reasonable price. Hopefully GMSH will get something for them.
On the other topic running through this thread, the Dispatch coverage has excelled while the 1460 coverage has headed for the dumpster. It's too bad a top quality play-by-play team is cursed with such a home. Other than Torgy, none of the 1460 regular staff seems to know anything about hockey or really care about it unless Jim Tressel is at the game.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Bluebengal

Hitch walks out of practice - sends message to players.... and then all the players said yeah! now we can just stand around and do nothing just like we do in games but now nobody will be here to yell at us!

Bluebengal is offline   Reply With Quote