HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Blue Jackets Fan Speculation/Trade Proposals/Blog Rumors Thread II

Old
02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
tkeats

vCash: 500
all this trade talk is gettin me excited - im already checkin this daily...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/deadline2008/

i really hope we make some moves - i especially like the rangers one posted earlier.

tkeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
A birdie told me today that the Sens are one of a handful to clubs that wants Blue Jackets center Sergei Fedorov. Ottawa GM Bryan Murray has long had an affinity for Fedorov, and the Senators could use a responsible defensive player. What could the Blue Jackets get in return? Maybe they're waiting on Antoine Vermette. Or maybe 20-year-old defenseman Brian Lee, a big-time prospect. Stay tuned.
Brian Lee? Hot damn. It sounds too good to be true. It more then likely is. I don't see Fedorov alone getting Lee. But it would be awesome if it happened.

02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Brian Lee? Hot damn. It sounds too good to be true. It more then likely is. I don't see Fedorov alone getting Lee. But it would be awesome if it happened.
Lee or Vermette would be incredible and I think possible.

The Sens have got to be feeling like that window is closing as Alfie is getting older. They've been so close I would have to make a big move if I were them.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
RickS

here's what we get to look forward to in the next week on Sportsnet.ca:

"Live web streaming, reporters in each Canadian city and the insight of former GM Doug MacLean is just the beginning of what you will get on hockey's most-anticipated day."

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
here's what we get to look forward to in the next week on Sportsnet.ca:

"Live web streaming, reporters in each Canadian city and the insight of former GM Doug MacLean is just the beginning of what you will get on hockey's most-anticipated day."
You can't say it won't be interesting.

Can't wait to hear his take on any Foote or Fedorov deals...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

"Team X got a great player. This player will be part of the team for years to come, and will carry the franchise to the playoffs. They've added a character guy. Good Move"

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Xoggz22

Too much back and forth a few pages back regarding Hitch and Howson to quote anyone in particular but I'll just throw the old "Rome wasn't built in a day" cliche in here.

At this point you can't (well you can but I don't think it's with foundation) blame either one for this team. They are much better than expected (overall, not the last 3 weeks) and they have had to deal with a coach that has a certain type of player expectation with a roster that was essentially established two years ago.

Can anyone really say that our free agent signings from last year weren't better than expected? Takes a good eye to see talent. We're saddled with a few players that are either on the down side of their careers or simply don't fit the system. You can't move them all at once as much as we'd like to.

The deadline is still 6 days away. Why are we casting judgement on moves yet to be made now? Maybe Howson respects his coach to see if we can squeeze out a few more wins? It doesn't mean their trade value goes down. If a deal is there to be made I have faith he'll make it. They have to be deals that are good for 2009 and beyond.

I know it's been 7 years and I'm as pissed as the next guy but being pissed in late February with still a sniff is a hell of a lot better than being pissed in December with no chance in hell.

let's get through Tuesday and see how we fare the balance of the year. Keep in mind we have a number of positions to fill for next year regardless of trades or not. 7 UFA's wil likely need replaced and those are roster players. I don't see us signing 7 players for next year but we konw Brassard and Voracek are two likely candidates for getting a full time spot. In my book that's already a talent upgrade.

And why the concern about Voracek on the 3rd or 4th line. It's a great place for him to start. HE'LL BE A ROOKIE! Learn the game the right way and in time. If he's good enough he'll move up the lineup quickly.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Xoggz22

As for lines...without a trade or two we don't have a lot of open spots....

Modin X Nash
X Brassard Zherdev
Chimera X Fritsche
Boll Malhotra Novotny

Spots for Voracek and Brule are likely. If so that leaves one opening and an extra (Picard? Lidstrom?) That's not a huge change but I still contend that if we improve the D transition game you'll see the skill level of our forwards improve. Just my opinion.

Maybe Malhotra gets moved, Brule slides to the 3rd line with Fritsche moving to C or the 4th line wing with Novotny at 4th line C? Maybe Fritsche brings the power game to line 2 with Z and Brass opening a spot for Voracek. Maybe Brule does get moved (I personally feel he's played 100X better since his recall).

Either way we still have a glaring need at C and I won't even go into our D troubles (3 UFA's and not much left behind that....OUCH). If we move players it better be for some proven players on D or some ready to step in prospects....on D.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:45 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Too much back and forth a few pages back regarding Hitch and Howson to quote anyone in particular but I'll just throw the old "Rome wasn't built in a day" cliche in here.

At this point you can't (well you can but I don't think it's with foundation) blame either one for this team. They are much better than expected (overall, not the last 3 weeks) and they have had to deal with a coach that has a certain type of player expectation with a roster that was essentially established two years ago.

Can anyone really say that our free agent signings from last year weren't better than expected? Takes a good eye to see talent. We're saddled with a few players that are either on the down side of their careers or simply don't fit the system. You can't move them all at once as much as we'd like to.

The deadline is still 6 days away. Why are we casting judgement on moves yet to be made now? Maybe Howson respects his coach to see if we can squeeze out a few more wins? It doesn't mean their trade value goes down. If a deal is there to be made I have faith he'll make it. They have to be deals that are good for 2009 and beyond.

I know it's been 7 years and I'm as pissed as the next guy but being pissed in late February with still a sniff is a hell of a lot better than being pissed in December with no chance in hell.

let's get through Tuesday and see how we fare the balance of the year. Keep in mind we have a number of positions to fill for next year regardless of trades or not. 7 UFA's wil likely need replaced and those are roster players. I don't see us signing 7 players for next year but we konw Brassard and Voracek are two likely candidates for getting a full time spot. In my book that's already a talent upgrade.

And why the concern about Voracek on the 3rd or 4th line. It's a great place for him to start. HE'LL BE A ROOKIE! Learn the game the right way and in time. If he's good enough he'll move up the lineup quickly.
Hell yeah... well said

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

Me to. If we can dump both of them for a few guys that are 20-23 with comments like "big time prospect" as a followup then that's what we need. Money is the biggest roadblock standing between a small market team and the playoffs.

We must "catch" a few up and coming players whose salary lags behind their ability. That's the only way we can afford a team talented enough to make the playoffs.

BTW, most here said Peca was a third liner at best last summer, I know, I tried to make a case to the contrary and failed. After watching this season he is at best a defensive second liner. As for talent, the Blue Jackets are a team full of third liners with Nash and Z as far as the offense goes. Check the goals for-we are not a talented team on offense-period!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:08 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I've thought about that one in recent weeks and come to the conclusion that you get more by selling them seperately. Seperately you could get a first rounder plus for each of them. But packaging them together isn't likely to get two first rounders plus (for example) and its not likely to get you a roster player (signed beyond this year) either way--just a package of picks and prospects.

I'll jump on the "what I'd do" bandwagon.

To Washington:
Sergei Fedorov + 3rd Round Pick

To Columbus:
Eminger + a 1st Round Pick

Eminger is likely a goner for Washington anyhow, they get a third rounder out of him and a missing piece to win the Southeast in return for a mid-late first round pick.

To Pittsburgh:
Adam Foote

To Columbus:
1st Round Draft Pick

Pittsburgh is not going to be in good drafting position, but they have an excellent chance to win the East if they improve on the blueline. They get a proven playoff performer and a leader. Foote gets to stay near his family and we can attempt to re-sign him as a UFA.

To NYR:
David Vyborny

From NYR:
Peter Prucha

One underperforming player for another. A low cost move. His salary next year is $1.6 million--the savings we have left if Foote re-signs for $3 million.

To ???:
Mike Peca

To Columbus:
3rd Round Pick

These aren't dramatic or wholly unrealistic trades in my opinion, but what they do is set the team up nicely going into a deep draft. Ideally, we have a lottery pick. Maybe the #5 or #6 pick in the draft. Plus the mid-round pick from Washington and the late round pick from Pittsburgh. If there's a team with the #1 pick that doesn't have a need at center, maybe they trade down and take one of our other picks (or a prospect like Brule) and we move up and take Stamkos. Worst case scenario, we load up with plenty of prospects for the future at the draft.

Acquire through free agency: Daymond Langkow. #2 goaltender.

Nice assessment. Not unrealistic by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd be inclined to package Peca with Hainsey to Ottawa to see if we can pry Vermette away from the Sens-if Ottawa doesn't land Boyle or Campbell.

Perhaps take the Washington #1 (since likely to be higher than Pittsburgh's)+Brule+OKT+a prospect and find a top-pairing d-man.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:28 PM
CBJSlash

On the mains from McKenzie, Columbus is in the mix for Richards.

Supposedly asking for 3 solid prospects. We have those.

Old
02-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

Richards would do the trick but man, 8 million? That's more than this team can afford with the big three only two years out for resigning. However, if Richards and Nash can run off 15 wins out of 20 then the money will be there.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I've thought about that one in recent weeks and come to the conclusion that you get more by selling them seperately. Seperately you could get a first rounder plus for each of them. But packaging them together isn't likely to get two first rounders plus (for example) and its not likely to get you a roster player (signed beyond this year) either way--just a package of picks and prospects.

I'll jump on the "what I'd do" bandwagon.

To Washington:
Sergei Fedorov + 3rd Round Pick

To Columbus:
Eminger + a 1st Round Pick

Eminger is likely a goner for Washington anyhow, they get a third rounder out of him and a missing piece to win the Southeast in return for a mid-late first round pick.

To Pittsburgh:
Adam Foote

To Columbus:
1st Round Draft Pick

Pittsburgh is not going to be in good drafting position, but they have an excellent chance to win the East if they improve on the blueline. They get a proven playoff performer and a leader. Foote gets to stay near his family and we can attempt to re-sign him as a UFA.

To NYR:
David Vyborny

From NYR:
Peter Prucha

One underperforming player for another. A low cost move. His salary next year is $1.6 million--the savings we have left if Foote re-signs for $3 million.

To ???:
Mike Peca

To Columbus:
3rd Round Pick

These aren't dramatic or wholly unrealistic trades in my opinion, but what they do is set the team up nicely going into a deep draft. Ideally, we have a lottery pick. Maybe the #5 or #6 pick in the draft. Plus the mid-round pick from Washington and the late round pick from Pittsburgh. If there's a team with the #1 pick that doesn't have a need at center, maybe they trade down and take one of our other picks (or a prospect like Brule) and we move up and take Stamkos. Worst case scenario, we load up with plenty of prospects for the future at the draft.

Acquire through free agency: Daymond Langkow. #2 goaltender.
I like just about everything I've read here. I'd scrap the #2 goalie for now and focus on a goal scoring defenseman. On the trade front, I'd do one thing different. Add a draft pick to Vyborny and pick up that a-hole Sean Avery instead. No one will be taking cheap shots at our guys without retaliation again.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Richards would do the trick but man, 8 million? That's more than this team can afford with the big three only two years out for resigning. However, if Richards and Nash can run off 15 wins out of 20 then the money will be there.
only 2 more million than Fedorov.

I'd be hard pressed to think that a full year with Nash and Richards with Zherdev, Modin etc.. we wouldn't make the playoffs.

A lot of cash, but if McConnell feels like stretching that budget out we'd be fine. I think he should give Howson the opportunity to make the moves he feels will be necessary. It is not my cash though.

Old
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

Get 'er done Scotty!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:39 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I'm all over this one. Get it done tonight.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
PLEASE Howson, get Big Bad Brad Richards.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

WAIT!!!!

Is Richards really the answer? Don't get me wrong, I like his game and all, but is he a bona fide, number one center? Or does he just get paid number one center money?

Is everyone ready to risk the likes of Brassard, Mason and Voracek/Lindstrom for Brad Richards?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
CBJSlash

Deal out Feds, bring in Brad, I'm happy.

Nothing else would be needed to make me happy.

Old
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
WAIT!!!!

Is Richards really the answer? Don't get me wrong, I like his game and all, but is he a bona fide, number one center? Or does he just get paid number one center money?

Is everyone ready to risk the likes of Brassard, Mason and Voracek/Lindstrom for Brad Richards?
He's a top player with sub subpar linemates. Expensive yes, but to get top players here we'd have to overspend.

I'd try our 1st, Brule, and Lindstrom

Old
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Don't think it would take that - someone on the mains said they'd be happy with Brule + 1st. At that price, I say - giddyup!

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kev22

I mentioned early in this thread a trade for Richards that was:

Gilbert Brule
Joakim Lindstrom
Ron Hainsey
1st Rd Pick '08
2nd Rd Pick '09

Looks like we could probably pull the 1st round pick off the table and be able to get the deal done with that. I think that if we could get a deal with that, both teams would clearly win. Tampa Bay gets cap relief and the CBJ get their number one center.

Richards to Columbus (K5)

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Don't think it would take that - someone on the mains said they'd be happy with Brule + 1st. At that price, I say - giddyup!
giggity giggity

Old
02-20-2008, 09:51 PM
MFRONE

Quote:

I usually agree with Top Shelf, but no way do we offer Zherdev and Brule for Richards

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote