HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter to EDM PROPOSALS

Old
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Eh I was being a little sarcastic with you earlier. However, Carter is an elite young talent in this league. I like Stoll a lot, but I don't think he's at the same level and while I like Gilbert a whole lot, I don't know if he's quite at that elite level.

I think a lot of Flyers fans undervalue Carter. It's not often that a C like him comes along, he's already a fantastic 2-way player and he's been on the 3rd line all year.

He has 35-40 goal potential written all over him as well as becoming an elite defensive player, it's usually not a good idea to trade those guys away.
I like Stoll. He has proven to hav ethe potential to be more than just a 3rd line center, but even if in that roll, he would be very good at it. If Edmonton had a better dman to offer, say a true #2 or #3 dman, I would do something like Carter/Jones or Picard for Stoll, that dman and a pick but Gilbert/Smid are not good enough to give up Carter in my opinion.

Carter and Hemsky might be a match made in heaven though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Agreed. Carter has the chance to really become a special third line center in terms of being able to score a lot of goals and being a real defensive presence out there.
Carter is more than a third line center and that is why it may be tough to keep him going forward. It is going to get too costly. One of the following is going to happen

1) Carter will become a winger
2) Briere will become a winger
3) Richards becomes the "3rd" center but gets the point on the pp time and lots of pk time, kinda like Handzus
4) Carter will be moved

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
ICarter is more than a third line center and that is why it may be tough to keep him going forward. It is going to get too costly. One of the following is going to happen

1) Carter will become a winger
2) Briere will become a winger
3) Richards becomes the "3rd" center but gets the point on the pp time and lots of pk time, kinda like Handzus
4) Carter will be moved
#2 please.

Briere Richards JVR
Giroux Carter Hartnell/Umberger
Downie Potulny Umberger/Hartnell

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac223 View Post
#2 please.

Briere Richards JVR
Giroux Carter Hartnell/Umberger
Downie Potulny Umberger/Hartnell
Considering Briere has scored all his points as a center in this league, that is the last choice I pick....I still for the life of me dont understand why it was even brought up (not directed at you obviously)

Old
02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Considering Briere has scored all his points as a center in this league, that is the last choice I pick....I still for the life of me dont understand why it was even brought up (not directed at you obviously)
Carter will simply be a better option at center going forward.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Sure, but then leave them both at center. Richards is clearly exhausted already. Cut down his even strength minutes and let Briere and Carter handle that since Richards is a lock to get a ton of special teams play.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Maybe, other than to the people that think he is better off as a winger....

Old
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Sure, but then leave them both at center. Richards is clearly exhausted already. Cut down his even strength minutes and let Briere and Carter handle that since Richards is a lock to get a ton of special teams play.
That is what I want to see now and next year. I want a "3rd line" of Hartnell Richards Downie next year with Richards getting all that special teams play and Carter getting more even strength time.

Old
02-20-2008, 07:32 PM
scottymac223

I think we can all agree that in a few years our forwards should be SICK. A 3rd line, a THIRD line of Hartnell Richards Downie is disgusting.
JVR-Briere-????? or Carter
Giroux-Carter or ????-Umberger
Hartnell-Richards-Downie

Yeah I like that too.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
27roenick97

i might've missed it for these line predictions, buuuuuuuuut.....

*** happened to gagne?

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Ri hards

annnnd. . . .no

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:34 PM
scottymac223

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
i might've missed it for these line predictions, buuuuuuuuut.....

*** happened to gagne?
That's a good point. Ooops. He's not dead, mah bad. So put him where the ?????'s are

Old
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Kelevra

Quote:
I like Stoll. He has proven to hav ethe potential to be more than just a 3rd line center, but even if in that roll, he would be very good at it. If Edmonton had a better dman to offer, say a true #2 or #3 dman, I would do something like Carter/Jones or Picard for Stoll, that dman and a pick but Gilbert/Smid are not good enough to give up Carter in my opinion.
I agree with your post but you are do not know Tom Gilbert. I would rather have him than stoll. He has played like a top four dman for the first half of the season. He really has been sensational in his ROOKIE year. Granted he is 24 and may not improve a lot from here on out, but he is a very good top 4 dman, and may become a top pairing dman.

Gilbert is a true #4 right now, and could become a true #3 or #2.

It seems to me that most people here think that Gilbert + Stoll is a fair and good offer, but I also get the feeling that people here dont want to move him unless its an overpay..is that correct?

Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I agree with your post but you are do not know Tom Gilbert. I would rather have him than stoll. He has played like a top four dman for the first half of the season. He really has been sensational in his ROOKIE year. Granted he is 24 and may not improve a lot from here on out, but he is a very good top 4 dman, and may become a top pairing dman.

It seems to me that most people here think that Gilbert + Stoll is a fair and good offer, but I also get the feeling that people here dont want to move him unless its an overpay..is that correct?
let's just say that if the flyers can get more, they'll wait for the larger package.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:45 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
let's just say that if the flyers can get more, they'll wait for the larger package.
If Stoll and Gilbert weren't both RFAs (who, together, will demand as much or more money than Carter will this offseason), I do Carter and Picard for Stoll and Gilbert yesterday.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
hfboardsuser

I don't think either are in for significant raises- Stoll due to concussion problems, Gilbert due to recent RFA contracts (Carle, Girardi). I'd be shocked if it cost more than $5.5M to sign both.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post

I know a little about Tom Gilbert, but admittedly not a lot. He has played very well this year, but we are talking about a potential 40+ goal scorer and borderline top center in the league...I am not just giving him up for the first #4 dman that I find. Tom Gilbert isnt lighting the world on fire up there with 22 point, and yes I am sure part of that has to do with the team he is on not scoring much, but like you said he is already 25 years old and probably is going to level off somewhere around where he is now. Picard had just as many points on last year's Flyers team, which was MUCH MUCH worse than the Edmonton team this year. We dont have to give up Carter to get Picard. Basically what I was saying was that if I trade Carter, I want someone the claiber, or at least close to the caliber of Kaberle. I dont quite think Gilbert is in that class.

I really like Stoll. I think he is easily a 20 goal, 50 point center in this league that can play some defense, has leadership ability and will play physical. Would fit perfectly as a 3rd line center somwhere and has potential for more.

If we could do something like Stoll, Gilbert, a good pick or a prospect for

Carter and a mid level prospect than I start to think about it.

But I only move Carter if I cant re-sign him.

Edmonton is actually one of a few teams I enjoy watching and will pull for them to win if they are not playing the Flyers or Red Wings.....As an Edmonton fan I would drool at what a first line of Penner Carter Hemsky would be like

Old
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Fourier

I am another Oiler fan here that also likes Carter. Setting aside any of the previous proposals and assuming Carter stays, how will you pay for him? Even with Hatcher off the books I don't see much room for Carter. An offer sheet would likely get you a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. But if that 1st pick is out of the top five you stand a strong chance of losing out.

For me, the salary cap makes Carter's actual trade value very difficult to predict.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I am another Oiler fan here that also likes Carter. Setting aside any of the previous proposals and assuming Carter stays, how will you pay for him? Even with Hatcher off the books I don't see much room for Carter. An offer sheet would likely get you a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. But if that 1st pick is out of the top five you stand a strong chance of losing out.

For me, the salary cap makes Carter's actual trade value very difficult to predict.
Jason Smith will be gone, Jim Dowd will be gone, Kapanen and/or Knuble might be gone. We can keep Carter if we really want him. I think that it's more a matter of whether or not we want $16 million or so of cap space tied up in our top 3 centers.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

I dont know about anyone else here, but I am worried about Gagne. Whether it was one concussion or three this year, he obviously is having issues coming back from it. Who is to say that he is going to be the same player next year? Worst case scenario, what if he cant come back next year??

I know, you are all thinking what the hell does this have to do with Carter to Edmonton proposals....

Well, I really rather not trade anyone at forward until we see how Gagne recovers in the offseason. Hypothetically, if he did not come back, Umberger and Hartnell are now your top two LWs, and Upshall I guess is the 3rd with Lupul, Giroux, Downie on the RW. We will need Carter's goal scoring if that is the case.

I just rather wait and see at this point. If it is an offer that cant be refused, fine, but if not, just wait until the offseason at this point and let the young guys continue to grow.

Upshall, Umberger, Downie, Richards, Lupul, Hartnell, Carter all seem to have good chemistry as teammates. They hang out together in the city, etc. Keep the group together as much as possible, add Giroux and Parent to that next year and see what happens