HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else have the gut feeling that...

Old
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Anyone else have the gut feeling that...

by deadline day Phil Kessel will be an ex-Bruin? I'd hate to see it, but don't you guys have the same feeling you did with Boyes?

Unless it's for a signed Hossa or Jokinen I will puke....especially if it's for a Liles or Suter.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't shake it..

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
wouldn't surprise me at all to see the kid moved.

For all his offensive potential I don't think the powers that be care for his lack of"D", unwilliingness to go into traffic, and lack of any sort of physical game.

They have kept him after school to work on it but so far same old, same old.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
sarge88

I do but I'll wait to see how I feel about it until after the deal is made and after probably another 3-4 years as well.

Kessel going away for a guy who doesn't re-sign here, I'll be ticked off.

Kessel bringing a guy back that is similar in upside but tougher and more of what I expect a "Bruin" to be - I'll be okay with it.

I was once ridiculed because I posted here that I doubt that Samsonov would ever be more than a 70-75 point guy - well he scored 70 once & 75 once.

Not tooting my own horn because that may be the only thing that I've got right over the years, but with Kessel I get the same feeling.

He has the skill to do more, but IMO if he's going to top out at 30-33 goals and 70 points - while providing little defensive support and no physicality - then I think we could find someone else for the money that he'll be eventually paid that can be more well rounded.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
stick9

Same feeling. PC's comments today about wanting to get bigger up front and play a puck possession game down low speaks volumes about Phils future.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
beaverjc

I think the issue is the Bruins are looking to acquire "impact" players - by the likes of a Hossa or Jokinen and in order to get that quality of player you have to part with young, blue chippers and frankly Kessel fits the bill. Not to mention he is seen in this town as "underachieving" and obviously isnt a favorite of Julien and the system Julien wants to play. Kessel is high on the tradeable list....

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ranold26
The real Gahden

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bsfanincuse

Send a message via ICQ to bsfanincuse Send a message via AIM to bsfanincuse
He just isn't rw material and being 5'10 175 isn't that big. Oh wait that is Rick Kessel I don't know why I get the two confused. Hossa is a rw and proven scorer in the NHL and is big 6'1 210. Chia did mention getting bigger up front didn't he?

bsfanincuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:26 PM
DOGSTARMAN

I'm thinking that Mark Stuart is the most likely to depart and Phil Kessel could depart in a larger scale trade. I also question whether Kessel is a "Chiarelli guy" unless you really believe that Gorton was getting directions from Chiarelli before he was released from Ottawa - which I don't believe. In which case, Kessel is another "old guard" player that Chiarelli may have no special attachment to.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
It would make me sick but I have no say in the matter.

Hossa won't make us win 3 playoff rounds. If we get a young D for Kessel that won't help us score goals and what would happen to the present Ds?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
bsfanincuse

in Celtics terms we have Chara ( Pierce) Allen ( Savard) and now we need Garnett (Hossa insert power scoring forward here) And they basically mortgaged their future to get those guys to take a run at their championship

Old
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I'm thinking that Mark Stuart is the most likely to depart and Phil Kessel could depart in a larger scale trade. I also question whether Kessel is a "Chiarelli guy" unless you really believe that Gorton was getting directions from Chiarelli before he was released from Ottawa - which I don't believe. In which case, Kessel is another "old guard" player that Chiarelli may have no special attachment to.
Great point about the "old guard" and Kessel. If you were a GM who on the Bruins excites you if you are a seller at the deadline and looking towards the future? Kessel is young, underperforming and has potential and a reasonable salary and upside..Stuart and then the real young guys like Lashoff, Hamil and Krejci types...

Old
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
TheBigBadB

The problem is the lack of patience by Fans and Management. Kessel is not Crosby or Ovechkin. First that needs to be established. The kid has abundance of skill, but not strength. Dont you think Phil knows this? Kid has never missed a practice and participated in every Bruin event. Yet he gets crapped on. Kid cant win here, maybe its best for him to get traded..Fans are so good a running players out of town. Thornton, Boyes, and now Kessel. Probably be Hossa's turn if he signs here.

We gave up Boyes and he'd be the leading scorer on this team right now. Now they want to do the same with Phil? I got news for you, NONE of the Bruins prospects have the potential to be top line talent like Phil. Unless they overpay for another top line scorer then next season even with Hossa your STILL lacking offensive fire power. Anyone trust Murray to make it through a season without getting hurt? Is Axe really top line talent? Kobasew? Its a crap shoot, then we'll all start craping on Hossa if he isnt at a 50 goal pace.

I just dont really understand the desire to trade this kid. If they could get Hossa as a Free Agent and keep thier top prospect, why wouldnt you just go that route? If Chia does this, then its nothing more than short sighted management.

TheBigBadB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Bruwinz37

I think if the Bruins make a deal for someone like Hossa than a secondary deal for a solid defenseman takes place as well.

Ie-Hossa for Kessel/Stuart/prospect

then Liles or a Preissing type for another package.

I think they know Hossa alone wont make them contenders, but adding Hossa and a top 3 defender certainly makes them one of the top teams in the conference.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfanincuse View Post
in Celtics terms we have Chara ( Pierce) Allen ( Savard) and now we need Garnett (Hossa insert power scoring forward here) And they basically mortgaged their future to get those guys to take a run at their championship
Basketball is a totally different sport..and you can keep three guys on the floor for almost the entire game

TheBigBadB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:40 PM
bsfanincuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
Basketball is a totally different sport..and you can keep three guys on the floor for almost the entire game
just a play on words

Old
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
BronxBruin

I've been one of Kessel's biggest fans since the day the B's drafted him but I would not be all that upset if he was traded as long as we got a good return that can be signed for several years (*cough* Hossa *cough*). While his game has definitely improved in almost all aspects since last season, it seems as though his improvement has plateaued over the past few weeks. My two biggest qualms are 1) he generates a ton of scoring chances but isn't able to bury them and 2) the puck seems to constantly bounce on him or roll off his stick leading me to question his puck control. He will undoubtedly continue to get better but at this point, I am more inclined to trade him for a known commodity (*cough* Hossa *cough*) rather than ride along the roller coaster that is likely to come along with Phil's development.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
RSBPC

I am also dreading the inevitable Kessel trade that will probably take place. I really don't want the B's to give him up in any deal, Hossa included. He is going to develop into a great goal scorer in the not too distant future, I just pray he does it in black and gold.

RSBPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
rcduthie77

I think its very hard to say, I believe that there are alot of GM's asking for Kessel but I am not at all convinced that he will move him. I think Chiarelli sees the value in Phil and like any good GM keeps the options open but unless there is a huge overpayment I don't see Phil going. I think Chia sees the options with Hossa and it's pretty obvious the Thrashers want Kessel but if Chia is even a half-way decent GM he realizes he can put together a better package then Montreal did without giving up Kessel, they won't give up Higgins in a package so no way do we give up Kessel, thats pointlessly upping the ante.

If Kessel goes it will be very tough for me to stay a Bruins fan I've seen Janney, Moog and Thornton and to although it was for a good reason Bourque all dealt away and I can't take having my favorite player exiled off again. Kessel can be a great asset to this team but they have to let him develop, I don't believe he's too far away now and trading him would be a huge mistake when we could have him and Hossa together creating major havoc.

Chia see the light my friend, be creative, if you want to trade for Hossa then get him but leave Kessel alone please. There are packages to be had that don't include Phil and if we have to lets grab Hossa come July 1st but don't take Kessel off this team.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
BadBruins

As much as I'd hate to see it, I get that feeling too.

It still gets on my nerves when I see people complaining about a 20 yr old sophmore not playing up to their expectations. I mean, most young highly touted players don't start putting up consistent numbers until they hit 22-23. Heck, most players don't make an NHL team until they reach that age, while Kessel made the Bruins as an 18 yr old in his draft year.

I could probably stomach dealing Kessel in a package for an elite D-man or forward, but otherwise I hope he stays a Bruin.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
BronxBruin

Quote:
I just dont really understand the desire to trade this kid. If they could get Hossa as a Free Agent and keep thier top prospect, why wouldnt you just go that route? If Chia does this, then its nothing more than short sighted management.
Because there's no guarantee that Hossa will ever reach free agency. I can't imagine any team giving up the assets Atlanta is asking for Hossa without fully intending on signing him long-term. Yes, your scenario is ideal but I just don't see it happening.

As someone already pointed out, if Kessel reaches his maximum potential, is he going to be any better than Hossa is right now? Even if he is, how long are we going to have to wait for him to get there? IMO Hossa is exactly what this team needs. Couple his acquisition with the hopeful return of Bergeron next season and this team could do some damage in the East for the next couple of years.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post
I've been one of Kessel's biggest fans since the day the B's drafted him but I would not be all that upset if he was traded as long as we got a good return that can be signed for several years (*cough* Hossa *cough*). While his game has definitely improved in almost all aspects since last season, it seems as though his improvement has plateaued over the past few weeks. My two biggest qualms are 1) he generates a ton of scoring chances but isn't able to bury them and 2) the puck seems to constantly bounce on him or roll off his stick leading me to question his puck control. He will undoubtedly continue to get better but at this point, I am more inclined to trade him for a known commodity (*cough* Hossa *cough*) rather than ride along the roller coaster that is likely to come along with Phil's development.
When he starts burying some of those scoring chances, which he likely will given his shootout skills, he will end up as a 40-50 goal scorer. It could take him 5 more years to reach that potential, but he will get there. If Chia trades him, I hope it's out of the Conference, let alone the Division. If he trades him to Atlanta, this guy is going to burn us for years to come.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
<---------It will be back to the drawing board for these guys!

Count down to the new avatar!

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
The problem is the lack of patience by Fans and Management. Kessel is not Crosby or Ovechkin. First that needs to be established. The kid has abundance of skill, but not strength. Dont you think Phil knows this? Kid has never missed a practice and participated in every Bruin event. Yet he gets crapped on. Kid cant win here, maybe its best for him to get traded..Fans are so good a running players out of town. Thornton, Boyes, and now Kessel. Probably be Hossa's turn if he signs here.

We gave up Boyes and he'd be the leading scorer on this team right now. Now they want to do the same with Phil? I got news for you, NONE of the Bruins prospects have the potential to be top line talent like Phil. Unless they overpay for another top line scorer then next season even with Hossa your STILL lacking offensive fire power. Anyone trust Murray to make it through a season without getting hurt? Is Axe really top line talent? Kobasew? Its a crap shoot, then we'll all start craping on Hossa if he isnt at a 50 goal pace.

Great post. That's this famous lack of patience who put the team into a perpetual DNQ cycle. It's time for the organisation to sit tight on the roster and build around the core. I agree with you assement about the Boyes trade since the Bruins are looking to trade for a guy like him. Kessel is young and have a lot of potential. Traded him because he's not the typical power forward that bruins fans like would be... stupid?

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
beaverjc

Every game I stand up thinking Kessel score only to have his shot either miss the net or the puck skip over his blade.....is that more his inability to finish? Will that improve over time? I am not sure....

Old
02-21-2008, 05:03 PM
BruinsBtn

The bounces and scoring may improve over time but I don't think his inability to come out of the corner with the puck with ever get better. It drives me insane.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote