HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Nike sale of Bauer complete

Old
02-21-2008, 10:14 AM
stick9

vCash: 500
Nike sale of Bauer complete

Quote:
Nike Inc. (NKE) agreed to sell its Bauer Hockey unit to an investment group led by Kohlberg & Co. and Canadian businessman W. Graeme Roustan for $200 million.
Taken from another site (modsquadhockey.com). I will try to dig up an official link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...?mod=wsjcrmain

Last edited by stick9: 02-21-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Link added
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
frito

Yeah! now maybe RBK will sell CCM et. al.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
vivianmb

good riddance nike... a step in the right direction.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
Meh....to early to say. Nike gave Bauer a vast amount of capital to draw from for research and development and a marketing dept that knew how to market products in the sports industry.

Lets see what this firm has in store for Bauer before we call it a step in the right direction.

Personally, I think Bauer loses. Nike was and is very successful at designing top notch footwear. Nice to have all that info to draw on when designing skates. Let's not forget, Bauer's greatest products have come under Nike's watch.

Time will tell.

Old
02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
stickglovesshirt*

heres the full press release in the pic. its a good read. pretty long..
save the pic, then open it in a picture viewer to zoom, etc

stickglovesshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
What exactly are we bidding good riddance to? Nike Bauer makes most of the best product on the market. The money Nike put into r&d is incredible. Granted, their graphics might be flashy, but who in the market right now is not? Their skates are worn by the majority of professional players and they are gaining ground on Easton in the stick department. While Rbk makes the best protective equipment NBH does an excellent job as well.

Are you one of those people who bypassed an incredible product because you couldn't bear the thought of a "swoosh" on your equipment?

Nike left Bauer largely untouched and made an alternative "Nike" line. Just a couple years ago did they integrate their lines into Nike Bauer.

So, yes, good riddance to large amounts of money that yield quicker developments and better performance at the cost of flashier graphics!

Bring back moisture absorbing 12 lb leather skates as long as they are black!

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Meh....to early to say. Nike gave Bauer a vast amount of capital to draw from for research and development and a marketing dept that knew how to market products in the sports industry.

Lets see what this firm has in store for Bauer before we call it a step in the right direction.

Personally, I think Bauer loses. Nike was and is very successful at designing top notch footwear. Nice to have all that info to draw on when designing skates. Let's not forget, Bauer's greatest products have come under Nike's watch.

Time will tell.
bauer supreme line has been around since i can remember. that is their greatest product imho.how high have prices gone since the swoosh ( and others ) have entered the picture?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

What now, are they going to change their name or something?

Henrique Iglesias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
stick9

Quote:
bauer supreme line has been around since i can remember. that is their greatest product imho.how high have prices gone since the swoosh ( and others ) have entered the picture?
The Supreme line is just a name. Give me a Bauer product pre-Nike that has had a bigger impact on the market then the One90 skate and stick, the One95 skate, the Vapor xxx-lite stick, the Vapor xxx and xxxx skate. All of which have come under Nike's rule.

Prices are all relative. You can't expect them to charge the same amount for high skates today that they charged 20 years ago.

All this aside. Had Nike not bought Bauer. Bauer would no longer exist.

Old
02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils9789 View Post
What now, are they going to change their name or something?
New products will carry only the Bauer name. Existing products will carry the Nike/Bauer name for another two years.

Old
02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Thank god. I'm so sick of saying NikeBauer.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
The Supreme line is just a name. Give me a Bauer product pre-Nike that has had a bigger impact on the market then the One90 skate and stick, the One95 skate, the Vapor xxx-lite stick, the Vapor xxx and xxxx skate. All of which have come under Nike's rule.

Prices are all relative. You can't expect them to charge the same amount for high skates today that they charged 20 years ago.

All this aside. Had Nike not bought Bauer. Bauer would no longer exist.
So because Nike tweaked an already existing product in composite sticks it makes it an impact product? Ill give them their due on the One series of skates but other than that its all marketing and hype.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
stick9

Let me ask this. If Nike has been bad for Bauer how good will a non-hockey company be for them?

At least with Nike they were sporting goods company with a reputation for making pro level shoes and apparel. They had a background in the sporting goods industry.

Curious to hear some replies.

Old
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Let me ask this. If Nike has been bad for Bauer how good will a non-hockey company be for them?

At least with Nike they were sporting goods company with a reputation for making pro level shoes and apparel. They had a background in the sporting goods industry.

Curious to hear some replies.
Theres a big difference between making shoes and making hockey equipment. While they werent bad they werent that good either. QC and dependability have gone down while prices have gone up. Look up Roustan and you will see he has some hockey background. Its not like its just some company that has no idea.

Old
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Theres a big difference between making shoes and making hockey equipment. While they werent bad they werent that good either. QC and dependability have gone down while prices have gone up. Look up Roustan and you will see he has some hockey background. Its not like its just some company that has no idea.
Many of the issues people have with Nike Bauer are trends that have been evolving in the entire industry and will not change just because Nike sold Bauer. Nike had some bad ideas, but the money they brought to Bauer's r&d cannot be underestimated. They could have gotten rid of all of Bauer's engineers the minute they bought the company, but they kept Bauer as a separate line and financed them.

Was the V12 a horrible skate? Horrible elbow/shoulder pads? The Supreme elbow/shin/shoulder pads which people rave so much about now are basically Nike products.

Just because the guy has some background in hockey does not mean he knows the first thing about designing skates and equipment. I hope he does, but it's not a pre-requisite. The smartest thing anybody could do is to say, "Good job, keep it up!" and let the internal structure stay the same, and write the checks.

Old
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Many of the issues people have with Nike Bauer are trends that have been evolving in the entire industry and will not change just because Nike sold Bauer. Nike had some bad ideas, but the money they brought to Bauer's r&d cannot be underestimated. They could have gotten rid of all of Bauer's engineers the minute they bought the company, but they kept Bauer as a separate line and financed them.

Was the V12 a horrible skate? Horrible elbow/shoulder pads? The Supreme elbow/shin/shoulder pads which people rave so much about now are basically Nike products.

Just because the guy has some background in hockey does not mean he knows the first thing about designing skates and equipment. I hope he does, but it's not a pre-requisite. The smartest thing anybody could do is to say, "Good job, keep it up!" and let the internal structure stay the same, and write the checks.
I realize how much R&D money Nike provided. To me their early years of trying to make equipment that flat out didnt cut the mustard so to speak caused them alot of problems. Its only been the last few years that theyve finally started to make decent products but QC and the way their top end stuff is made isnt all that great.

With the Supreme line its what alot of people grew up with and are comfortable with. NOw the top end Suprmere stuff is a mix of of Nike and Bauer designs. My equipment that is Bauer is all pre NBH. And the only reason Ill purchase anything with NBH on it now or Bauer in the future is for elbow pads because they are the only company that makes a pair that im comfortable with.

I dont see the new ownership coming in and changing anything except maybe the R&D budget but who knows. The only reason I brought it up that the guy has experience with hockey is that stick 9 had said the group was non hockey. Well so was Nike. In 95 they werent manufacturing much but shoes.

Old
02-21-2008, 10:38 PM
RobertKron

Weren't a lot of the non-skate, pre-nike, great products (4000 helmet, techniflex, sbd shoulder pads, SP___ shoulders, etc) just Cooper products that got carried over when they got eaten up by Bauer, anyway?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Mancini0518

the old Bauer vapor's are still the best skates i have ever used

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
the old Bauer vapor's are still the best skates i have ever used
Didn't those come out well after Nike bought Canstar?

Old
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Now all my equipment will be considered old.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
All Vapors came out after Nike purchased Bauer.

Old
02-22-2008, 01:53 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Weren't a lot of the non-skate, pre-nike, great products (4000 helmet, techniflex, sbd shoulder pads, SP___ shoulders, etc) just Cooper products that got carried over when they got eaten up by Bauer, anyway?
Yeah they were. Its exactly why you still some form of all those products still in the NBH lineup. NBH pro shoulders are an updated version that unless you are lucky to know some, have the cash to get them shipped over from Europe orfind one of the very few pairs in the States youre out of luck. For some reason the dont offer the pro shoulders or elbows here in NA.
Quote:
Nike buying Canstar got rid of a few lines. Cooper ,Flak, Micron. Micron 10-90s were considered by some to be the best skates across the board. Sucked to see those things go bye bye.

Old
02-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Theres a big difference between making shoes and making hockey equipment.
you make it sound like they brought the people from their shoe department over to run the hockey division; laying off all the hockey people from Bauer after they bought it

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:02 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Nike buying Canstar got rid of a few lines. Cooper ,Flak, Micron. Micron 10-90s were considered by some to be the best skates across the board. Sucked to see those things go bye bye.
Didn't most of the worthwhile Cooper stuff end up getting eaten up by Bauer, as we mentioned, and the Mega/Microns, or at least the Air 90/70/etc, ended up as Bauer Airs for a little while?

What I meant, though, was that the "old Bauer Vapors" were really a product that came out when Bauer was under Nike's control.

Urgh. I missed out on a set of near-new Mega Air 90s on ebay the other day due to shipping restrictions. Me no happy.

Old
02-22-2008, 08:49 AM
stick9

Quote:
I realize how much R&D money Nike provided. To me their early years of trying to make equipment that flat out didnt cut the mustard so to speak caused them alot of problems. Its only been the last few years that theyve finally started to make decent products but QC and the way their top end stuff is made isnt all that great.

With the Supreme line its what alot of people grew up with and are comfortable with. NOw the top end Suprmere stuff is a mix of of Nike and Bauer designs. My equipment that is Bauer is all pre NBH. And the only reason Ill purchase anything with NBH on it now or Bauer in the future is for elbow pads because they are the only company that makes a pair that im comfortable with.

I dont see the new ownership coming in and changing anything except maybe the R&D budget but who knows. The only reason I brought it up that the guy has experience with hockey is that stick 9 had said the group was non hockey. Well so was Nike. In 95 they werent manufacturing much but shoes.
True, but I've stated many times that Nike was also not a hockey company, but rather an experienced sporting goods company.

If you don't see them changing anything other then the R&D budget. Then is this good move? If that truly is the case then Bauer will continue operate like it did under Nike's just without the swoosh. So it's a lateral move.

Honestly, I think too many people are hung up companies like Nike and Reebok being in the hockey business. I've owned Nike gear...still use a pair of Nike shin pads. I never any complaints with any of the Nike gear I owned. I'll admit I was skeptical at first when I tried on a pair of RBK skates. They turned out to be the best skate I've ever owned. I shelfed my Graf 703's for them.