04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
looks like the USA got themselves their #1 Dman

this team is going to get pounded in this tournament - i noticed that blake sloan joined the team. i mean, if sloan made it, that tells me all i need to know.
if he hits Bergeron. I will clock him myself at camp.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
i think you're giving gill too much credit. i'd worry about bergeron cleaning HIM out

i'm really excited for bergeron. canada should win gold, and it'd be great for him to experience some good times after that AWFUL DISGRACE THAT JUST OCCURRED

Old
04-21-2004, 07:22 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy
No Doubt that is the best team canada I have seen in a while ....Rumpy
Rumpy how old are you? (Just out of curiosity )

Old
04-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Rumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Rumpy how old are you? (Just out of curiosity )

I am 19 and I didn't mean team Canada..........I meant this tournament we usually have boneheads like Carter on the team.......this team is full of young talent.....Rumpy

Old
04-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
I am 19 and I didn't mean team Canada..........I meant this tournament we usually have boneheads like Carter on the team.......this team is full of young talent.....Rumpy
Carter scored game winner last year, but he sukked this year. I can see team Canada winning. GO CANADA!

Old
04-21-2004, 09:09 PM
DBL

That's awesome Bergeron is going, makes me want to watch Canada play so much more. This will be excellent for his development too.

I have no doubt in my mind he's dreamed of a day like this to represent his country with some of his countrys best players to win a gold medal. He should be thrilled beyond belief and play great.

Has for Murray, he had a poor playoff of course, so this is his chance to possibly show better of what he can do, for a better contract, and to get more teams interested in his services.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
It helps that they moved the tournament back some.

It used to be that only players from teams that missed the playoffs got a chance to play in the Worlds. Which especially back in th eold 21 team NHL didn't leave Team Canada or the US much of a chance.

Now 14 teams miss the playoffs and the Worlds start a bit later, so with 14 missing the playoffs and 8 more out in round one, that gives the teams plenty more players to choose from.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
kytem2

What are you talking about ? Canada won the gold medal in overtime last year against Sweden. Who got the winner ? Anson Carter on a beautiful goal !

Old
04-21-2004, 09:49 PM
WheatKingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2
A lot of Canadians follow the World Championships, they are televised live on TSN (many very early mornings), so they are actually pretty popular in Canada, and likely get zero coverage in the U.S.

Historically, not too many Bruins have gone over, so it is more intersting when they do.
the world cup rosters will be named in may. there was an age restriction of 22 and over, but that has been repealed. i am going up to the games in montreal in august, usa vs canada and sweden vs. slovakia. i cannot wait, especially since it may be the last NHL caliber hockey played for a long time.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl

Who will be representing Habs for team Canada during World Cup, by the way?
ECHO.......ECHO....ECHO

There is NO way Theodore (your best and only hope) even cracks the top3 goalies... (Brodeur, Belfour, Luongo). Thanks for coming out.

Old
04-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Rumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It helps that they moved the tournament back some.

It used to be that only players from teams that missed the playoffs got a chance to play in the Worlds. Which especially back in th eold 21 team NHL didn't leave Team Canada or the US much of a chance.

Now 14 teams miss the playoffs and the Worlds start a bit later, so with 14 missing the playoffs and 8 more out in round one, that gives the teams plenty more players to choose from.
I never knew that and it explains why I remember Canada always having a bad team for this tournament...Rumpy

Old
04-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Rumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2
What are you talking about ? Canada won the gold medal in overtime last year against Sweden. Who got the winner ? Anson Carter on a beautiful goal !
Still doesn't mean he should have been on the team...... Perrault got 6 points against the Bruins and nobody wanted him on Montreal until he did this.....Rumpy

Old
04-21-2004, 11:02 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Still doesn't mean he should have been on the team...... Perrault got 6 points against the Bruins and nobody wanted him on Montreal until he did this.....Rumpy
Carter may not do much in the NHL, but he has represented Canada very very well quite a few times. Oh yeah, and he always goes when asked, even after a long injury-filled season.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
ECHO.......ECHO....ECHO

There is NO way Theodore (your best and only hope) even cracks the top3 goalies... (Brodeur, Belfour, Luongo). Thanks for coming out.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHAHA (pause) HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHH!

We'll see!

Old
04-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Bruinguy
Here we are again!

Quote:
ECHO.......ECHO....ECHO

With all due respect I have to disagree with you. I really don't see Belfour getting the invitation. What I think Gretzky wants to do is go with the following:

1. Brodeur - He's already won Canada Olympic Gold
2. Luongo - Young and has some international experience
3. Theodore - Young as well and he wants him to get some international experience for future World Cups/Olympics etc.

Belfour is still an excellent 'tender but he's just turned 39 and won't be playing next year (because I feel that the CBA won't get done soon)...therefore almost 40 years old and probably looking at a trailer down in Florida or perhaps a nice fishing boat in Key West...

Old
04-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:

Sorry but I fail to see the point of bringing Eddie, at 39, unless he is going to start. What good does it having him as your 2/3 goalie? The torch is going to be passed this World Cup. Besides was Belfour even named to the initial list?

Old
04-22-2004, 07:24 AM
mcphee

AS to World Cup players, I'd be surprised to see anyone other than Koivu as captain of Finland. Zednik,Kovalev,Markov, and possibly Bullis could also paticipate for their respective countries. The World Cup could be important to a player like Thornton. It'll be a great oppurtunity to show himself off on a world stage. Regarding Theodore, I thought it had been hinted that he and Luongo were expected to be 2-3. Depending on the next couple of weeks, that could change. Turco and Belfour have to be considered. It depends on whether they are grooming players for the next Olympics or just putting out the best team possible.
I'd like to see Boynton considered, was he asked to go the World Championships ? He's been playing at that level. Gonchar is another guy who you would assume to be in the mix,obviously, for either tournament.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:31 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26
Possible Canada lines so far.

Smyth-Morrison-Murray
Friesen-Briere-Heatley
Morrow-Bergeron-Dumont
Horcoff-Niedermayer-Williams

Brewer-Niedermayer
Morris-Boumeester
Staios-Mitchell
Schultz

Luongo
Giguere
Denis

Looking not bad
I would love to see Bergeron and Morrow on the same line. I think they're pretty similar players and neither one is any fun to play against.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Jake3648

I see Jillson potted one in the USA's 4-0 exhibition win against the German National team......Hiilbert and Gill are there now as well.....nice series of exhibitions that dont mean diddily squat in the big scheme of things.....Can only imagine Hal on a bigger sheet of ice....YIKES!

Old
04-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Grapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
i'll help, although i can't possibly reach for his head, i'll just kick him in the shins.

Closed Thread