HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey Gods/Weird Goals

Old
02-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Jinsell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
who was the goaltender?

Mark Holden is the Jets goaltender. He did not play often in the NHL. Had a stint in Montreal before heading to Winnipeg.

Jinsell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinter Klaas View Post
Good memory.

I do remember a stat though being repeated over and over regarding the fact that Plante tied it and later won it.

He may have been the first player to tie it to send it to overtime and score the series winner. I am not too sure what the stat was, but I do remember it was of distinction.
I'm thinking the record might have been just that -- the first player to score the tying goal and then the series winner. I can't recall anyone else doing it and it's definitely something worthy of mention.

EDIT: You're right -- I've located a newspaper article that mentions the following:

"Plante was also credited with the tying goal, marking the first time in a Game 7 that the same player tied the score in the third period and won it in overtime."

Link

Last edited by Master_Of_Districts: 02-21-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Steelhead16

Not exactly history since it happened last night but it made history. Drew MacIntyre, goalie for the Manitoba Moose got credit for the game winner in overtime against Chicgo last night. He made a save during a delayed penalty call and the pauck was passed out from the corner to the point and went all the way down and in. I haven't checked much but he has to be the only goalie with an overtime winner???

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
silkyjohnson50

I don't got a video but it was either in the 97 or 98 playoffs...

Detroit vs. Phoenix, 1st round.

Fedorov is in the neutral zone and does your basic dump in by slapping the puck along the boards... As the puck is going along the boards, near the backboards, it hits something(crack in the boards) and changes directions - goes on an angle towards the net - and somehow hits Khabibulin, who is facing forward expecting the puck to go around the back of the net and out the other side, in the back of the skate and goes in the net.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
I don't got a video but it was either in the 97 or 98 playoffs...

Detroit vs. Phoenix, 1st round.

Fedorov is in the neutral zone and does your basic dump in by slapping the puck along the boards... As the puck is going along the boards, near the backboards, it hits something(crack in the boards) and changes directions - goes on an angle towards the net - and somehow hits Khabibulin, who is facing forward expecting the puck to go around the back of the net and out the other side, in the back of the skate and goes in the net.
I remember this goal -- it happened in the 98' playoffs in the Detroit-Phoenix series (as you mentioned). I'm pretty sure it happened in game 6. Anyway, Jimmie Waite was the goalie and he had absolutely no idea that the puck had gone into the net. It was definitely one of the flukier goals in Stanley Cup Playoffs history.

Old
02-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Al Bundy*

I think Jagr did it in 1999... right?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
I think Jagr did it in 1999... right?
Good call -- he scored the tying goal in game six against the Devils as well as the OT winner.

Old
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
mrhockey193195

In 1998 or 1999 (can't remember), Chris Tamer scored his only goal as a Ranger by taking the puck at center ice and flipping down, only to go over the head of Hextall and in the net (pretty similar to some of these random bad bounce/long shot goals posted in the thread already).

I think the rangers won the game 5-0 or 5-1.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote