HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

PIT/NSH offer? Flame on :)

Old
02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

vCash: 500
PIT/NSH offer? Flame on :)

Didn't review the recent Radulov thread you kids have going here, so I was wondering what you think of this offer?

Not sure if I am overvaluing the Pens and undervaluing the Preds in this deal.

Thanks.

To Pittsburgh:

RW Alexander Radulov
D Ryan Suter

To Nashville:

C Jordan Staal
D Ryan Whitney

Being Gene Malkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-skank View Post
Didn't review the recent Radulov thread you kids have going here, so I was wondering what you think of this offer?

Not sure if I am overvaluing the Pens and undervaluing the Preds in this deal.

Thanks.

To Pittsburgh:

RW Alexander Radulov
D Ryan Suter

To Nashville:

C Jordan Staal
D Ryan Whitney
Pittsburgh and Nashville are not a good match ... both teams *NEED* a top 6 Winger ... unless Staal converts smoothly to wing then its a dead issue

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Pittsburgh and Nashville are not a good match ... both teams *NEED* a top 6 Winger ... unless Staal converts smoothly to wing then its a dead issue
What is your need at center? From what I understand, the system is lacking any major prospects there. Plus with Arnott and Bonk getting older, Staal would be a great replacement for years to come.

We have Christensen available, but alas, he is another center, would that help this deal?

And am I correct in thinking Suter is more of a defender than an offensive dman?

Old
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No Suter is a 2 way defenseman, smooth with the puck on his stick.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No Suter is a 2 way defenseman, smooth with the puck on his stick.
But how is he on the defensive end? A lot of the Pens posters are furious with Whitney because of his defensive play, but his offensive play is pretty stellar. I was hoping Suter would have strong play in his own zone, hence the swap.

Old
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I agree.

Staal is the very definition of a shut down center so converting him to wing does not make a whole ton of sense. The Penguins will try it for sure just because he's too good for the third line...but he should not be a winger. His playmaking may be lacking and he's painfully bad at faceoffs (what 19 year-old isn't?), but his game is still tailor built for that shut down center role with 60-70 point potential.

Both teams need wingers, so Nashville trading Radulov obviously doesn't make sense.

As for the defender swap...I can't pretend to know enough about Suter to comment on that one. We all know what Whitney is capable of (59 point sophomore season), but saying his play this year has been bad would be a drastic understatement. Penguins fans (myself included) would pawn him off for anything right now, management not so much.

The Shero connection will mean there will always be the chance of a Pens-Preds swap...but I wouldn't expect it to ever be more than a minor deal.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:00 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Suter is pretty sound in his own end. Strong, careful with his stick, good positionally. I have been impressed with his offensive progress this season, very good with the puck.

There is no point talking to us if you are after Radulov. Nashville has NEVER had a player with his potential explosiveness and raw talent, this guy is going nowhere right now.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds_wizard View Post
Suter is pretty sound in his own end. Strong, careful with his stick, good positionally. I have been impressed with his offensive progress this season, very good with the puck.

There is no point talking to us if you are after Radulov. Nashville has NEVER had a player with his potential explosiveness and raw talent, this guy is going nowhere right now.
Meh. Pittsburgh has had players like Staal before so I can't offer that claim...but the kid went 2nd overall, 3rd place voting for the Calder as the youngest player in the league last year, already a shut down forward at 19, has shown a nose for the net...trust me, we're not anxious to let Staal go either.

If either player was to be moved it would have to be in a deal involving the other. That said...neither of them are going anywhere.

Old
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Just the last few years, you've had Malkin, Crosby, Staal, it is an embarassment of riches for the Pens! Sorry if I don't shed any tears on your drafting position and riches...

Old
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

yeah its seriously not fair. you have crosby/malkin/staal while we have...legwand/finley

lol i hate life

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Trust me...if you guys went through what we went through for how long...

We're not asking tears to be shed...but we went through hell and high water to build this team. If any fan base can understand the whole moving thing floating overhead it's you guys, but we dealt with it for 8 years with nary a reprieve. Financial problems, worst arena in the league, politicians who can't find Pittsburgh on a map, a line-up that would be mediocre by AHL standards...

We're hardly the first team to suck for an extended amount of time...but we picked the perfect time frame to suck.

We have an embarrassment of riches now, but it took a ton of bending over to get it.

Old
02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
braindead

But look at the Preds. Second pick in a year that Legwand was second instead of Malkin. Just good enough to pick 6th over and over instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd. No luck in the Crosby lottery. Cheap ownership. No playoffs for 7 years, locked out after the first playoff appearance, no success in the 1st round, partially dismantled team after last year. Pens woes vs. Preds woes: It's like two contestants in a tallest midget contest.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
dulzhok

Value isn't horrible, but Preds won't do it.

Radulov is the first young forward that Nashville has had to be (realistcally) excited about. Gone are the days of trying to get turn Arkhipov, Krivokrasov, Tenkrat into front line scorers. I like Stall, but I'd take Radulov.

Haven't seen much of Whitney, but why the swap? Doesn't make sense.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
dulzhok

Counter:

Ryan Suter FOR Jordan Staal

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Counter:

Ryan Suter FOR Jordan Staal
I can think of a good song from Aerosmith. "Dream On"

Staal for Weber maybe but no way we give up Staal for Suter. I think Shero would get killed.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's you that needs to dream on, Staal won't get you close to Weber.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Amen to that, Trigg

Old
02-23-2008, 11:59 AM
predfan24

Stall reminds me alot of Legwand excpet he's bigger and he'll probly be a better goal scorer when it's all said and done. No thanks I'll keep Radu.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote