HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Tom Barrasso - HHOF?

Old
02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
A question about Tom Barrasso, why didn't he ever represent Team USA in International events, except for the 2002 Olympics where he backed up Mike Richter?

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
A question about Tom Barrasso, why didn't he ever represent Team USA in International events, except for the 2002 Olympics where he backed up Mike Richter?
He was on the '87 Canada Cup team. I assume he would have been the favorite to be the Olympic starter in 1984, but he graduated H.S. in 1983 and didn't want to wait a year before turning pro. I remember being amazed because it was the first olympics after the Miracle on Ice team and I thought everyone would want to play for Team USA.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
He was on the '87 Canada Cup team. I assume he would have been the favorite to be the Olympic starter in 1984, but he graduated H.S. in 1983 and didn't want to wait a year before turning pro. I remember being amazed because it was the first olympics after the Miracle on Ice team and I thought everyone would want to play for Team USA.
I noticed that after I posted, he played at the World Juniors, 1 World Championships, 2 Canada Cups, all from 1983-1988, then nothing until he played one game against Belarus at the 2002 Olympics. Why no appearances in between?

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM

My hockey generation saw Barrasso at the second half of his playing career, so I might not be as good of a judge compared to those who saw his entire career.

However, guys like Barrasso and Vernon are in a similar boat to me. They both were outstanding goaltenders in mutli-Cup winning teams, but they were the type of goalies that were regular season notables. Again, Barrasso's rookie year was before my time, so I am not quite taking that into account. Not that regular season hardware is the be all end all, but it helps to make the case.

To me there is are three groups of Hall candidates from the era that I have watched. There are the sure fire guys that won at all times like Brodeur, Hasek, Roy and Belfour. There are the second tier guys who won the Cup but weren't as impressive with hardware during the regular season like Osgood, Richter, Vernon and Barrasso. Then there is the third string guys that were solid goalies, perhaps top 10 in any given season, but they never won anything like Beezer or Cujo.

To me the top guys should definitely make it in on the first ballot, the second group of guys should be considered but are not shoe-ins, and the third group of guys are get $10 for winning a beauty contest.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
FissionFire

I think Vernon is a cup above some of those peers you listed. He did win a Conn Smythe, which is an achievement that is saying something on a team featuring Yzerman, Fedorov, Konstantinov, and Lidstrom.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

It's a tough call. If he didn't play for the Pens, we wouldn't have won the Cups. Statistically, he was average, but his puck handling skills wer amazing. His prime was up until the early 90's, before real defense and the trap bailed out goalies.

I do think he was above Beezer and Richter, but let's face it..he was a dick. That's what's going to be the problem. Personality shouldn't come into HOF nominations, but unfortunately it does.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
I noticed that after I posted, he played at the World Juniors, 1 World Championships, 2 Canada Cups, all from 1983-1988, then nothing until he played one game against Belarus at the 2002 Olympics. Why no appearances in between?
Good question because to be honest he should have been. In '91 there was Richter and Beezer, but Barrasso was on par with those two and was way better than Pat Jablonskit the third stringer. As for '96 it was Richter again. Jim Carey had just won a Vezina so you got to take him but Guy Hebert over Barrasso? Hmmm. Barrasso should have been in there somewhere especially with Beezer opting out. '98 was the same thing with Beezer and Richter. I think Hebert was a third stringer again.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
blamebettman*

Barrasso was never a dominant goalie, at his best he was just "pretty good"

His win totals were never that impressive aside from 92-93, he never stole a series all by himelf. The Penguins had so much offense that they could've won with anybody in net in 91 and 92.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
HandshakeLine
Too long a Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
It's a tough call. If he didn't play for the Pens, we wouldn't have won the Cups. Statistically, he was average, but his puck handling skills wer amazing. His prime was up until the early 90's, before real defense and the trap bailed out goalies.

I do think he was above Beezer and Richter, but let's face it..he was a dick. That's what's going to be the problem. Personality shouldn't come into HOF nominations, but unfortunately it does
Bingo. He burned a lot of bridges in his days as a player, and if he doesn't get in, there'll always be the question of "why" he was denied.

I'd put him in. He was, for my money, the last great stand-up goaltender, a fantastic puckhandler, all-time leader in goalie assists, and one of the few (possibly only) goaltender to win the Vezina his rookie year.

HandshakeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
one of the few (possibly only) goaltender to win the Vezina his rookie year.
Ed Belfour off the top of my head is the only other goalie to win both the Vezina and Calder in the same year.

Ron Hextall also won in the Vezina in his rookie year, but Luc Robitaille won the Calder.

Jim Carey and John Vanbiesbrouck came close; they won it in their second year.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

It was theoretically easier in the days where the Vezina was statistically-based.

Frank Brimsek and Tony Esposito both did so under those conditions.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
The Dawn of Koon

vCash: 365
On play alone, absolutely. If he doesn't get in it will be thanks to the amount of bridges he burned with his personality...but he definitely deserves to be there.

What he achieved early in his career and with what he did in Pittsburgh with absolutely no defensive system in front of him was rather spectacular.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
saskganesh

I'd say no because Hall space is finite. a fellow like Barrasso would demand his own section.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Barrasso not in the HHOF shows just how media run the NHL is. Thats a problem.

He' still the best American born goalie, aside from Frank Brimsek, IMO. Those '90's Penguins teams were really bad defensively so his personal stats suffered. Also you really had to watch him to see how good he was. Not that he was flashy by any means but just a big quick stand up goalie that was technically very good. If you watch those Penguins cup games again he was a very close 2nd to Lemieux in importance.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote