HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If u were Klo? (Long)

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Oilforcup

vCash: 500
If u were Klo? (Long)

What moves would you make before the start of the 04/05 season:

here are mine:

Sign Nedved to a 3yr/11million contract

Trade Laraque and Chimera to BUF for Grier and a 2nd in 2005
-Trading Grier to make room for Laraque has not worked out. It was a mistake that I think should be undone, and will help our brutal PK

Resign Smith and Isbister
- Smith is worth 2.5, hes amazing and steps it up in the playoffs. I know he had a bad year but hes good. Isbister has one last year to prove himself

Do not resign Ulanov
- He played well down the stretch but I havnt forgotten how brutal he was 2 years ago against Dallas in the playoffs. Hes not clutch.

Do not trade for a Goalie
- I think Conks/Makks can handle the job

Play Isbister with Nedved and Dvo for the first 20 games to see how he does. If he cant get anything done with those 2, hes officially useless. If this is the case, put torres back on that line.

Put Brewer with Semenov
- Semenov did well in his rookie year and was paired with brewer for most of it.

My lines would be

Isbister - Nedved - Dvorak
Smyth - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Grier
Torres - Reasoner - Rita

Extras:
Pisani - Horcoff

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Bergeron
Stiaos - Wyowitka/Cross

Extra:
Wyowitka/Cross

Conklin
Makkenen

Finally, here are some other moves I would make but will never happen. Plus I dont really know if they are fair for either team.

Fire MacT and hire Larry Robinson
- This young team needs someone to get under thier skins, not someone they think of as a friend

Trade PHIL 1st 04 and Wyowitka to CHI for CHI 1st
- Draft Barker. This guy is an excellent skater and a great all round defenceman. He can work the powerplay and take the body. He is exactly what we need and will be ready to go in the 05/06 season.
- CHI is more desperate for a defensive Dman

Trade EDM 1st 04 and Lynch To BOS for Toivonen
- This guy is a termendous goalie and the best one out there that is available (Lehtonen, Fluery, and Miller arnt going anywhere unless for a Kings Ransom)

What do u think? What would u do?

And please dont flame me if you dont agree.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilforcup
- Draft Barker. This guy is an excellent skater and a great all round defenceman. He can work the powerplay and take the body. He is exactly what we need and will be ready to go in the 05/06 season.

- This guy is a termendous goalie and the best one out there that is available (Lehtonen, Fluery, and Miller arnt going anywhere unless for a Kings Ransom)
Eww on both these trades.. there is no way that Chicago will move their 1st pick for only a late first rounder and Woywitka. Likewise, I think trading our 1st pick and Lynch for Toivonen is quite the overpay. Lynch was an all star in the AHL in his first year there. We'd also kill our defensive depth with these trades, especially if we didn't retain Ulanov.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:28 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

here are mine:

-Trading Grier to make room for Laraque has not worked out. It was a mistake that I think should be undone, and will help our brutal PK

- Smith is worth 2.5, hes amazing and steps it up in the playoffs. I know he had a bad year but hes good. Isbister has one last year to prove himself

Do not resign Ulanov
- He played well down the stretch but I havnt forgotten how brutal he was 2 years ago against Dallas in the playoffs. Hes not clutch.

Play Isbister with Nedved and Dvo for the first 20 games to see how he does. If he cant get anything done with those 2, hes officially useless. If this is the case, put torres back on that line.

Put Brewer with Semenov
- Semenov did well in his rookie year and was paired with brewer for most of it.

My lines would be

Smyth - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Grier
Torres - Reasoner - Rita

Extras:
Pisani - Horcoff

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Bergeron
Stiaos - Wyowitka/Cross

Extra:
Wyowitka/Cross

Conklin
Makkenen

Finally, here are some other moves I would make but will never happen. Plus I dont really know if they are fair for either team.

- This young team needs someone to get under thier skins, not someone they think of as a friend

What do u think? What would u do?

And please dont flame me if you dont agree.
Yeah you lost me at don't sign Ulanov. He has a team option for 750000. we would be STUPID to let him get away for nothing. I disagree with most of the things you have said in this post.

The Oilers need to keep Nedved and trade Chimera someplace to make some room on the left. That is about it IMHO

Our lines should be

Smyth - Nedved - Dvorak
Torres - Horcoff - York
Isbister - Reasoner - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Pisani/Laraque
Chimera/Rita

Brewer - Smith
Ulanov - Bergeron
Staois - Semenov
Cross

Our team was good enough to make the playoffs with Nedved there. Just keep them together and draft TALENT

We are fine

PS - those trade are brutal. You want Lowe to get rid of all the defensive depth we have built for the past year? Then we are back to where we were last summer minus Lynch! Count me out of those proposals.

Last edited by s7ark: 04-22-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old
04-22-2004, 01:36 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

here are mine:

I wouldn't mind seeing Nedved back, but I think he could be had for 3yrs/9mil.

Quote:
I love Mikey, but he is pretty much finished. He can't hit anymore, and his goal production is still inconsistant. The Oilers PK was actually in the top 5 for more than half the season as well, so I'm not sure how much there is to address there.

Quote:
Here I agree... I don't know if Smith will accept 2.5 mil, but I think this is key.

Quote:
Do not resign Ulanov
I think you pick up his option for 750K... if he is the bad Ullanov too many times, you can walk away with little to no loss. However, if he plays like he did most of the season here, it's a huge option for the Oilers.

Quote:
The only way I deal for a goaltender is if the offer is something you can't turn away. I don't go selling the farm for an unproven tender, but I do the ears of an Elf if names like Theodore or something like that gets tossed out there.

Quote:
I think you have to give Torres the ability to pick up where he left off. I think you put Izzy down on the 3rd or 4th line and see if he can blow your mind, then move him up. Then again, early on Torres seemed to make every line he played on that much better, so starting him on the 4th won't necessarily hurt him.

Quote:
Put Brewer with Semenov
The problem is Brewer seems to struggle with the younger guys. I don't mind the idea, but both guys have to be effective together, and that wasn't always the case when they were paired.

Quote:
My lines would be

Smyth - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Grier
Torres - Reasoner - Rita

Extras:
Pisani - Horcoff

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Bergeron
Stiaos - Wyowitka/Cross

Extra:
Wyowitka/Cross

Conklin
Makkenen
I'd go with this:

Smyth - York - Pisani - I'd put these guys up against any top line in the league with no fear.
Isbister - Nedved - Hemsky - you can hide these guys and put them against teams weaker lines to exploit them.
Moreau-Reasoner-Dvorak - If what we saw of Reasoner in limited action this year is any indication of his development, this could be a dangerous line.
Torres-Stoll-Laraque/Horcoff - It all depends on where you see everyone... I mean Horcoff was a decent penalty killer, and if Reasoner is still hampered by a knee injury it might be best to limit his minutes.

extras - Rita, Chimera, Horcoff/Laraque

Defense-

Brewer-Smith
Bergeron-Ulanov
Staois-Cross

Quote:

Has Larry Robinson proven at all that he can coach young players? Judging by how quick he was ousted in New Jersey, it makes you wonder how his players respond to him. I also think that if you can limit Roster turnover this summer, we can get a true indication of Mac-T's abilities behind the bench.

Quote:
a). I doubt that Chicago makes this deal at all, it doesn't make sense
b). There is no way in hell that I pick Barker with the #3 overall pick. Olesz is a guy the Oilers should pick if they somehow manage to do this deal.

Quote:
I don't understand the point of this trade. I mean why go for a completely unproven kid, when the same package could probably get you something that is a little more of a proven commodity? Goaltenders at 19, 20 are a big time crapshoot, and as it stands now, Lynch is capable of at least being a 6th-7th defenseman in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:40 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The problem is Brewer seems to struggle with the younger guys. I don't mind the idea, but both guys have to be effective together, and that wasn't always the case when they were paired.
This is not really the case. At times, you should say, Brewer just struggles. Period. I think it bears little relevance as to who he is playing alongside unless you are discussing Tom Poti and that is merely one example. The Brew-Semenov pairing was fine during their extended run and there was little indication of Brewer not performing up to task more so than usual as a result of a younger partner in Semenov.

Brewer struggled early this year as well.. and he was paired with Jason Smith/Steve Staios at times.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:11 PM
outKast*

If i was Kevin Lowe i would....

1. get rid or Cory Cross
2. Trade Conklin and go after a real starter
3. Trade Smyth and an overpay for Spezza/Mark Bell
4. Sign Nedved
5. get rid of Horcoff
6. Sign Rita to a one way deal
7. Draft Malkin, Nyberg, Naslund, and Montoya when available
8. sign Joel Quenville for assistant coach
9. I would fire LHowson and make him and hire me as the assistant GM
10. Trade for Brendan Witt
11. Get rid of Bergeron.
12. Trade York and an overpay for Doan.
13. Try and get DiPietro while i take Mike Milbury a night out of town for drinks.
14. Write a huge article of how I made a mistake not getting Gezlaf and Parise and i had to draft that scrub Poulliot.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
1. get rid or Cory Cross
2. Trade Conklin and go after a real starter
3. Trade Smyth and an overpay for Spezza/Mark Bell
4. Sign Nedved
5. get rid of Horcoff
6. Sign Rita to a one way deal
7. Draft Malkin, Nyberg, Naslund, and Montoya when available
8. sign Joel Quenville for assistant coach
9. I would fire LHowson and make him and hire me as the assistant GM
10. Trade for Brendan Witt
11. Get rid of Bergeron.
12. Trade York and an overpay for Doan.
13. Try and get DiPietro while i take Mike Milbury a night out of town for drinks.
14. Write a huge article of how I made a mistake not getting Gezlaf and Parise and i had to draft that scrub Poulliot.
1. Get what in return?
2. Which real starter?
3. Smyth is not going to get you Spezza. It might get you Mark Bell. You might need to be a bit more specific in "overpay".
4. For how much? How long?
5. Why get rid of Horcoff? For what in return?
6. Would we have roster space for Rita?
7. Malkin won't be available for the 14th pick.
8. Quenville as assistant. I don't mind that.
9. I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I think you're missing a word or two. Regardless, you're a little too vague in your suggestions here to warrant a GM job.
10. What would you trade for Witt? Trade proposal?
11. Why get rid of Bergeron? In return for what?
12. Trade York for Doan? An interesting trade proposal.
13. Uh huh.
14. Uh huh.

I'm not flaming you Outkast, I just want know a little bit more about some of your ideas.

Closed Thread