HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Radek Bonk?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Radek Bonk?

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on acquiring Radek Bonk in the off-season. If Nedved's price becomes too high, would trading for Bonk from Ottawa be a reasonable solution? I believe he is under contract for $3.5 million next season and he has been good for around 20-25 goals and 60 points in his career. His value in Ottawa is likely at an all-time low due to his fairly poor playoff performance and a lot of Ottawa fans are howling for Spezza to claim the top center job. With a new coach next season, that may possibly be what happens. I'm somewhat indifferent as I don't know very much about Bonk's play - I do know that he is another Czech player though. At first glance, he might be too much of a playmaker and not gritty enough to really help our lineup out. What does everyone else think? If you believe he'd be a good fit, what would you be willing to give up?

Old
04-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Jim_Harnock

I really don't know. I've always liked Bonk, even back when he was a thoroughly unimpressive rookie... probably because I liked saying his name... BONK! BONK!

But I digress...

While I think Nedved would be a better fit for the team, assuming he plays like he means it, simply because he has more offensive flair than Bonk, Radek could be interesting. He's certainly a big guy. He doesn't play as physically as I'm sure MacT would like, but I think we already have far too many MacT players on this team -- the fetish with grit and defensive play over skill is why we missed the playoffs.

I think that if Nedved falls through, Bonk may be our best option. Not because he's the best guy on the market, but because he's the best we'll be able to afford, both in terms of trading chips and in terms of contract weight.

I have no idea what I'd be willing to give up, but Ottawa would most likely want size and toughness in return, so I'd be willing to package Laraque. I have no idea what we'd have to add, though.

Old
04-22-2004, 04:57 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
We certainly could've used him this year on the powerplay, but I'd still rather have Nedved if we're going to be paying a center that much. At least we know what he can bring without Alfredson, Hossa, and Havlat on his wings.

::EDIT:: Alright, I read that as 5.5 million the first time. 3.5 is definately more around our price range, but only if we can't sign Nedved would I make a trade for Bonk.

Last edited by misfit: 04-22-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old
04-22-2004, 05:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think you have to think UFA first.

Save your resources for when you need to use them.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:04 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think you have to think UFA first.

Save your resources for when you need to use them.
agree 100%. If I can get a guy reasonably close in skill for the same price as Bonk without having to trade for him, why not?

Then again, I do think Bonk would fit fairly well here, maybe OTT won't qualify him (I can't imagine that scenario, someone would think he's worth trading for) and EDM can bid on him?

side note, the more I watch of the CAL series, the more I'd rather have Conroy than Nedved. Seems to be a much better fit, to me.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Asiaoil

Pick up Nedved's option and trade him to Ottawa for Bonk

Old
04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
side note, the more I watch of the CAL series, the more I'd rather have Conroy than Nedved. Seems to be a much better fit, to me.
Will Conroy help out our powerplay? I don't think so.. he strikes me as a more talented Horcoff type player. Really good work ethic, pretty decent skills but not enough finish or talent to be a great player. I also don't think there is any way that Conroy will be joining our team. Calgary will likely be able to match whatever we offer Conroy on the free agent market (unless signing Iginla completely kills them..) and it seems to me that Conroy is enjoying his time in Calgary so far. Conroy might be more of a "Mac-T type player" but I still don't feel he'd help us more than Nedved..

Old
04-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Matts

I read in the Ott Sun yesterday

that the Sens have tried to trade him for two years and there's been little interest. Now I would imagine that's because of what they've wanted in return

In any case the writer said it might look funny from the outside but he wouldn't be surprised at all if the Sens non-tendered him

Closed Thread