HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offical Flyers - Leafs pre-series thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2004, 03:22 PM
  #26
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
That's one wierd post. "Where else would you see thousands of Leaf fans on the streets?".....what the hell does that mean? Ofcourse they aren't going to celebrate in Timbuktoo if they win..........
Yeah but there are probaby a thousand + fans in Ottawa celebrating.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 03:23 PM
  #27
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF FAN
I am already sick and tired of you anti leaf and Flyer fans
calling off the leafs already. Why don't you talk the talk
rather than hate the Leafs because we have the best fans in the world. Where else will you see thousands of leaf fans on the streets
celebrating after a round 1 win.

We have the best fans and if we GET healthy we can go far including
beating the underachieving Flyers. :mad:

WOW...you are sick and tired after 2 posts.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 03:26 PM
  #28
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF FAN
We have the best fans and if we GET healthy we can go far including
beating the underachieving Flyers. :mad:
Settle down there, sports isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Just enjoy the entertainment.

Toonces is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 03:26 PM
  #29
LEAF FAN
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
That's one wierd post. "Where else would you see thousands of Leaf fans on the streets?".....what the hell does that mean? Ofcourse they aren't going to celebrate in Timbuktoo if they win..........

I meant that the streets were dry in every other city that won
round 1 games. Think what would happen if the Leafs won the cup.

Every square inch of the GTA would have fans celebrating.

DOES this city deserve a CUP ??

YES[COLOR=Red]

LEAF FAN is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 03:36 PM
  #30
TheBudsForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Actually, any impartial hockey observer would have to acknowledge that the Flyers have excellent, committed and intense fans that are also arguably the best in the NHL. LOL, any fan of the "other team" that ever took in a game at the old Spectrum can attest to the fervent intensity of many Flyer fans.

Leafs haven't won since 1967, Flyers since about 1974 (?). As far as winning a Cup, both Cities would go nuts in the event that this occurred this year.

As I've said before, the one thing that I think all Flyer and Leaf fans can agree on is that the Habs and Lightning are damn glad to be playing each other, and not the Leafs and Flyers respectively. The winner of the Habs/Lightning series will likely be facing off against the banged up opponent that survives this series.

No matter though, IMHO, if the Leafs and Flyers had not met in Round 2, chances were pretty good that they were going to meet in Round 3 anyhow.

Bring on Thursday night! Let the games begin!

TheBudsForever is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 04:05 PM
  #31
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF FAN
I am already sick and tired of you anti leaf and Flyer fans
calling off the leafs already. Why don't you talk the talk
rather than hate the Leafs because we have the best fans in the world. Where else will you see thousands of leaf fans on the streets
celebrating after a round 1 win.

We have the best fans and if we GET healthy we can go far including
beating the underachieving Flyers. :mad:
We're underachievers? I know i usually nap at work but did i nap through a Toronto stanley cup parade? And if i remember correctly, didn't us underachievers polish you up in the last 2 years?

Teezax is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 04:19 PM
  #32
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Philadelphia is the one team that Toronto did not want to face. But they are so I think you can throw away every single stat from the regular season or the previous round.

This series is going to be a bloody mess!

It will be a similar style of hockey to last year, but even worse. More like the Leafs/NYI series 2 years ago.

Toronto will win game 1, but it will be a 7 game series.

wasting time is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 04:21 PM
  #33
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
These teams are really even when it comes to size.

Flyers Defence 6'2 1/2 212lbs
Flyers Forwards 6'1 1/2 203lbs

Leafs Defence 6'1 200lbs
Leafs Forwards 6'1 3/4 215lbs

No real advantage to either team there.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 05:52 PM
  #34
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
These teams are really even when it comes to size.

Flyers Defence 6'2 1/2 212lbs
Flyers Forwards 6'1 1/2 203lbs

Leafs Defence 6'1 200lbs
Leafs Forwards 6'1 3/4 215lbs

No real advantage to either team there.
I write for a hockey site and since TB is coming up a lot, I'll post my prediction on that series here and see what people think. PS: I am guessing Flyers in 6. Anyone who is discounting the Leafs is an idiot though.

ROUND 1 RATINGS: The Lightning really cruised through the first round against the New York Islanders, but two hiccups were injuries to Cory Stillman and Jassen Cullimore. Vincent Lecavalier also needs to pick him his play. The Canadiens had a brutal series against the Boston Bruins, however, the team showed a lot of heart coming back from a 3-1 deficit, Theodore looks like he’s back in the groove, and most of the team is young.
TB RATING: 8 MONTREAL RATING: 7

Defense: As I said earlier, the Lightning have lost Jassen Cullimore for an indefinite period of time and this takes a big workhorse out of their machine. However, Darryl Sydor and Dan Boyle lead a heady group that doesn’t make any big mistakes. While the Habs D doesn’t quite have the talent of Montreal’s Andrei Markov and Craig Rivet both had a solid 1st round and look to see more of rookie Mike Komisarek who was very impressive in the games he played.
ADVANTAGE: NONE

Offense: While the Lightning did get by in the first round pretty easily, not many guys stepped up their game. St. Louis, Modin, and Richards pretty much carried the offense and this needs to change. With the Canadiens, it was Koivu, Zednik, and Kovalev although a line of Perreault, Ryder, and Ribeiro was looking very good down the stretch. I also like the Canadien 3rd and 4th lines a tad bit better. Call it a gut feeling.
ADVANTAGE: NONE

Goaltending: This match-up features two of the top net-minders in the game. Jose Theodore rebounded from a poor first four games of the Bruins series and shut down Boston after that. Khabibulin posted three shutouts en route to a 5 game series win. While I like the Bulin Wall, Theo has stolen a series before and Khabi hasn’t.
ADVANTAGE: CANADIENS

X-Factors: Which team will be the first to have a second line to contribute after the first one. Which first line will be better? Although it sounds crazy, both my bets are on the Habs here. Koivu looks like a man on a mission and I think this one will get accomplished.
MY PREDICTION: CANADIENS IN SEVEN

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 06:58 PM
  #35
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think Tampa wins the series, but I'd be surprised if it goes in under 6 games. Theodore kept getting better and better as the first round went along.

While I have Tampa in 5, I was talking about a series vs. the Flyers. Tampa smoked us all season and we can only pray Keith Primeau, Michal Handzus and John LeClair will stay within a stick length of these guys. LeCavalier, St. Louis, Richards...please. Esche would have to steal the series.

GKJ is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
  #36
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I write for a hockey site and since TB is coming up a lot, I'll post my prediction on that series here and see what people think. PS: I am guessing Flyers in 6. Anyone who is discounting the Leafs is an idiot though.

ROUND 1 RATINGS: The Lightning really cruised through the first round against the New York Islanders, but two hiccups were injuries to Cory Stillman and Jassen Cullimore. Vincent Lecavalier also needs to pick him his play. The Canadiens had a brutal series against the Boston Bruins, however, the team showed a lot of heart coming back from a 3-1 deficit, Theodore looks like he’s back in the groove, and most of the team is young.
TB RATING: 8 MONTREAL RATING: 7

Defense: As I said earlier, the Lightning have lost Jassen Cullimore for an indefinite period of time and this takes a big workhorse out of their machine. However, Darryl Sydor and Dan Boyle lead a heady group that doesn’t make any big mistakes. While the Habs D doesn’t quite have the talent of Montreal’s Andrei Markov and Craig Rivet both had a solid 1st round and look to see more of rookie Mike Komisarek who was very impressive in the games he played.
ADVANTAGE: NONE

Offense: While the Lightning did get by in the first round pretty easily, not many guys stepped up their game. St. Louis, Modin, and Richards pretty much carried the offense and this needs to change. With the Canadiens, it was Koivu, Zednik, and Kovalev although a line of Perreault, Ryder, and Ribeiro was looking very good down the stretch. I also like the Canadien 3rd and 4th lines a tad bit better. Call it a gut feeling.
ADVANTAGE: NONE

Goaltending: This match-up features two of the top net-minders in the game. Jose Theodore rebounded from a poor first four games of the Bruins series and shut down Boston after that. Khabibulin posted three shutouts en route to a 5 game series win. While I like the Bulin Wall, Theo has stolen a series before and Khabi hasn’t.
ADVANTAGE: CANADIENS

X-Factors: Which team will be the first to have a second line to contribute after the first one. Which first line will be better? Although it sounds crazy, both my bets are on the Habs here. Koivu looks like a man on a mission and I think this one will get accomplished.
MY PREDICTION: CANADIENS IN SEVEN
There are a lot more factors you need to take into consideration. First, Tampa Bay will have had a 6 day rest. They have more than one line who can score (they had like 6 20 goal scorers). They have defensemen who will activate (Kubina, Boyle, Sydor, Sarich) They are a threat to score from anywhere on the ice. Martin St. Louis had 8 shorthanded goals, plus while Theodore has been awsome recently, Khabibulin had 3 shutouts vs. the Islanders.

GKJ is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 07:20 PM
  #37
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF FAN
I meant that the streets were dry in every other city that won
round 1 games.
I read this then opened my local paper later to see the headline " Habs fans dance in streets after victory over Bruins"

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 07:53 PM
  #38
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,132
vCash: 500
are you sold on esche?
i seem to recall cechmanek being a 1 series wonder last yr

p.l.f. is online now  
Old
04-21-2004, 08:07 PM
  #39
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
are you sold on esche?
i seem to recall cechmanek being a 1 series wonder last yr
Put it this way

A)I know he is no Eddie Belfour

B)1 Year as our starter and no playoff expirience it's hard to say he will win us the cup

BUT

C) I have so much more confidence in him over Checkmanek.

So I guess I am sold on him for the moment.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 08:19 PM
  #40
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i seem to recall cechmanek being a 1 series wonder last yr
I also recall that Cechmanek didn't play so well durring the single series he won.

Toonces is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 08:36 PM
  #41
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
There are a lot more factors you need to take into consideration. First, Tampa Bay will have had a 6 day rest. They have more than one line who can score (they had like 6 20 goal scorers). They have defensemen who will activate (Kubina, Boyle, Sydor, Sarich) They are a threat to score from anywhere on the ice. Martin St. Louis had 8 shorthanded goals, plus while Theodore has been awsome recently, Khabibulin had 3 shutouts vs. the Islanders.
6 Day rest yeah, but montreal is a pretty young team overall and I don't think that the series with the Bruins was overly physical, there were a few good hits, but not just the grinding out pounding. 6 20 goal scorers yes, but those scorers have had trouble continuing that in the playoffs and that is where we are right now. You can talk about the Lightning d-men, but I think Montreal's are just as good. I think they probably outplayed Boston's. Shorties dont come that often in the playoffs and a shorthanded threat isn't the best weapon to have although it is convenient. Basically, I think that this is a one man squad. Samsonov tore up the Habs, but who won the series? Lalime and Brent Johnson both had 3 shutout first rounds a couple years back and neither of those guys have had a whole lot of playoff experience. I'll take Theo over Khabi right now especially cause Theo has really come on lately. Besides, you gotta believe in the Habs.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
  #42
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
While I have Tampa in 5, I was talking about a series vs. the Flyers. Tampa smoked us all season and we can only pray Keith Primeau, Michal Handzus and John LeClair will stay within a stick length of these guys. LeCavalier, St. Louis, Richards...please. Esche would have to steal the series.

We're a different team now. All games were pre-Zhamnov.

Final game of the 4, we had no Esche, Primeau, or Roenick.

Third game we're winning 1-0 and completely controlling the game. Esche gets hurt, Neil Little comes in and gives up goals on th efirst two shots he faces and the Flyers lose 2-1.

Game two we got smoked. No Primeau or Kapanen.

Game one we lost 5-4 in OT. This was also near the end of the "Jeff Hackett" era. Right after the two with the Devils. Hackett was again awful. We outshot them 41-28.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
04-21-2004, 10:13 PM
  #43
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
I don't think this will be as much of a slugfest as last year. Maybe because it's the second round and Toronto (and Philly) are already beat up. Both teams also added players who aren't exactly bruisers.

Granted, Tucker will try to injure somebody as will Marchment. Roberts will keep his elbows up at head level at all times (and not get called). Brashear will get penalized every time he thinks about checking somebody.

Can't imagine a more brutal series than last year though.

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 10:10 AM
  #44
Rails
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: LBurg and FBurg, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rails
Before looking at the Bolts, lets make sure we wrap up the Leafs.

Their only win this season came when we were without Roenick and Primeau. We should be ok since we have everyone healthy (except Desi). The real question is how hard they will make runs at Johnsson and how healthy his hand is. If he goes down, the series will go longer (or shorter if the wind is taken from the sails).

By the way, Fedoruk and Sharp scored a game winners against the Leafs. Enough said.

Rails is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 10:51 AM
  #45
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerzack
but Lightning rarely strikes twice.
Oddly enough, this saying is actually false. Lightning follows the path of least resistance to ground, and thus quite often it strikes the same place (and following the same path, even) twice, or even more times. Just a little thing that's always amused me about that saying.

At any rate, this should be a good series. The Leafs are one of the teams I hate the most, so I cannot say I wish them luck or anything remotely similar. I will say I hope Quinn doesn't whine so much this time around, and that the Leafs play a cleaner game than usual, and that the Flyers win. No predictions on length, etc. from me...I learned a long time ago predictions are pretty worthless. Here's hoping Esche keeps playing to his potential, the Flyers' D can keep it up, and the Flyers' forwards can keep up their play or elevate it against the Leafs.

Let's Go Flyers!!!

Stonehands77 is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
  #46
tytech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
MY PREDICTION: CANADIENS IN SEVEN

That's why you don't name what site you write for. That prediction is absurd. Is this the site you write for? I write for it too. TB in 6

tytech is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
  #47
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
I don't think this will be as much of a slugfest as last year. Maybe because it's the second round and Toronto (and Philly) are already beat up. Both teams also added players who aren't exactly bruisers.

Granted, Tucker will try to injure somebody as will Marchment. Roberts will keep his elbows up at head level at all times (and not get called). Brashear will get penalized every time he thinks about checking somebody.

Can't imagine a more brutal series than last year though.
Agreed, that was high octane stuff. I don't think any team could repeat that after playing in a playoff series already.

No doubt there will be some terrific hits, but they will pick there spots this time.

crump is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 06:26 PM
  #48
The Seeker 25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hockey Falls, PA
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Now I'm officially worried. I never agree with Al Strachan, but look what his series prediction is:

Philly in five

Just like he did last year when the Flyers and Leafs faced off, Al Strachan is seeing orange

FLYERS VS. LEAFS


Even the most rabid of Maple Leafs fans must admit that Ed Belfour saved the team from a first-round exit.

That's fine. Belfour is part of the team.

But can he do it again? The odds are not good for a number of reasons.

He's going against the coach who knows him best. He's going against a team that is much more committed than the Ottawa Senators.

He's going against a team stacked with net-crashing forwards and if there's anything Belfour hates, it's getting banged around in his crease.

The Flyers have bought into the system of coach Ken Hitchcock and, if the first round is a harbinger, finally have the goaltending to go with all their other established attributes.

The Leafs are coming off a long, tough series and have to face a committed, rested team which handled them well during the season.


As I said, now I'm worried!

Link: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040422/col_strachan-sun.html

The Seeker 25 is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
  #49
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
That's why you don't name what site you write for. That prediction is absurd. Is this the site you write for? I write for it too. TB in 6
I write for Spectors Hockey. It's people like you who give Flyers fans a bad name who just call someone absurd without even trying to contradict any of the points that they made. You may be right, but I won't gain any more respect for you because you have done nothing to back your prediction or to point out anything wrong with mine.

FlyHigh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.