HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish team in the next year's "Russian Open League"?

Old
01-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Den

vCash: 500
Finnish team in the next year's "Russian Open League"?

The guy who's behind the project basically said today in the press conference that there is interest from Finnish teams and possibly the "new RSL" starting next year will include them. I would be shocked, but anybody heard anything?

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
The guy who's behind the project basically said today in the press conference that there is interest from Finnish teams and possibly the "new RSL" starting next year will include them. I would be shocked, but anybody heard anything?
I doubt that Finns would have the interest nor the money to compete with the Russians. Haven't seen or heard anything in the media either.

edit: After reading jatkoaika.com FORUM i found one post that stated that Jokerit was rumored to participate in this "Open Russian League" some time ago(I think that the source of this speculation might be from Russia). It was planed that Gazprom would fund this league and that some other teams from ex-Soviet countries would participate aswell? (I believe that this could happen if Gazprom would buy a team from Finland or heavily fund a Finnish team.)

edit2: I was wrong, there was an article a month ago about this and Jokerit headman Harkimo stated that he was interested about the league, but had only heard about it from a reporter of Toronto Sun. Harkimo said that he thinks that Jokerit would not quit playing in Finnish league if they would join this new league. He said that Jokerit might have two teams, another participating in FL and another participating in this new league. Article speculated that teams participating would get a lot of new income from TV-rights and sponsors.

Link to Finnish article:http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/hockeynig...2007/12/592056

TSN's story:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225276&hubname=

edit3: The Star's story:http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/285910

Last edited by Tormentor: 01-13-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
ViD

I am not sure if Jokerit can afford two teams. New Russian league has some requirements. One of them is the salary floor of $10m. Salary cap is $15m + 7.5m for 4 star players who are chosen by the club. So they will have to have at least $10m payroll. I dont know about finnish hockey much, so if it is okay, just correct me.

However, I think that they can make some exceptions to get teams from big hockey nations because it will increase the reputation of the league and thus create more revenue from TV and ads.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I am not sure if Jokerit can afford two teams.
Somehting tells me Gazprom will stretch a helping hand: Gazprom participation kind of smells of a PR compaign in Europe (whitewashing the image?). I mean, everybody watching football knows that we need to breath O2 and fly Emirates; it would be nice if Europeans also knew that burning Gaz from prom is good for the environment.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I am not sure if Jokerit can afford two teams. New Russian league has some requirements. One of them is the salary floor of $10m. Salary cap is $15m + 7.5m for 4 star players who are chosen by the club. So they will have to have at least $10m payroll. I dont know about finnish hockey much, so if it is okay, just correct me.

However, I think that they can make some exceptions to get teams from big hockey nations because it will increase the reputation of the league and thus create more revenue from TV and ads.
Jokerit, that is one of the biggest clubs in Finland has a turnover of about 5.5 to 6 million (8.2 to 8.9 million $) a year and the player salary's are about 2.3 million (3.4 million $) a year. So without external financial support there won't be a Finnish team in this new league.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 05:11 PM
ViD

here are comments of one of the expert commitee of the Continental Hockey League Boris Mayorov

- On Wednesday my good finnish friend Harri Harkimo, the president and owner of the Jokerit club, told that he(I think that means Jokerit) would play in the new league with a great pleasure. But I know him very well. The most important thing for him is that the club has to produce some revenue. If our league can make such conditions, he will leave his own championship without any thought because he frankly believe that the new league could become the all-european league in the future.

this is from "Soviet Sport" newspaper - link(in russian)

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote