Any Rumors in Boston ie: New GM

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 10:40 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

vCash: 500
Any Rumors in Boston ie: New GM

There must be some rumors regarding upper management changes due to another early exit for Boston again. Is a name like errrr.... Burke circulating as a potential GM for the B's?
Burke during his yearly ahhh gosh dammit it... we lost early again in the playoffs press conference, he didn't sound too certain he would be returning to the nux. His press conference was the by far the most apprehensive and it didn't sound like he knew what the heck was going on with his status.
If Burke is gassed, Boston would be the obvious choice. He has roots in the Boston area and his style of management would fit him to a tee.

Old
04-21-2004, 10:56 PM
hardbody77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
There must be some rumors regarding upper management changes due to another early exit for Boston again. Is a name like errrr.... Burke circulating as a potential GM for the B's?
Burke during his yearly ahhh gosh dammit it... we lost early again in the playoffs press conference, he didn't sound too certain he would be returning to the nux. His press conference was the by far the most apprehensive and it didn't sound like he knew what the heck was going on with his status.
If Burke is gassed, Boston would be the obvious choice. He has roots in the Boston area and his style of management would fit him to a tee.
///////////////////////////////////
i never liked oconnell until this year,he made good sound decisions. and has developed a solid core of young guns,obviously his scouts deserve alot of credit there too

Old
04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Perry91502

I dont think that MOC did a bad job this year, however last year was awful, and the year before was not that great as well. I really disagreed with the timing of the Ftorek firing. But that turned out ot be okay.

However, I think we should keep him on board unless we can have a replacement of someone better. I would not mind Brian Burke here, not at all

Old
04-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Strafer

I could see Burke replacing Harry Sinden since suposedly he has "nothing to do with the day to day operation of the team". If Burke or Lou L. were hired as president they could really teach MOC alot in many the many facets of operating and managing a modern team. For too long there has been a sense of on the job training with MOC and he hasn't been completely horrible at it it's just that his role models are a dinosaur (Sinden) and a tight fisted businessman who knows little about the actual game and the characters it takes to make it all come together. Burke in particular would be a great mentor for Mike and would take alot of the pressure off of him too since Harry seems to enjoy when Mike squirms (makes Harry feel all the more exaulted).

Old
04-22-2004, 12:47 AM
BruinsGirl

We have to think about why would Burke be canned in Vancouver.

Maybe it is partially his fault Vancouver with the human resources they have didn't go past second round for long time now.

While many people think Canucks are much better than Boston they are built almost the same.

Great first line and not much of depth after that. (We might be even deepper now).
Their defense is definately better ours. Goaltending situation is pretty much the same.

If we want to have playoff success we really need experienced coach to start with.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
That is a very fair point. It is not like getting Bob Gainey, or someone else who has won the Cup. Lamoriello vs Burke, that's a no contest IMO.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:55 AM
Guy!

I have no specific source for this, but around here there's a lot of talk about Lamoriello going to the Bruins for the next season, whenever that is. I was told, just yesterday, that he was all but a Bruin already, and it was only a matter of time. I do believe his contract is up in Jersey, though I can't confirm that for certain.

Again, this is third or fourth hand info, so take it for what it's worth, but this *is* the rumour that I'm hearing.

ACF

Old
04-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Magnus Fulgur

gm

I think MOC has done a great job this year: however, the next three years should be about finding the right personel to replace Rolston, Muzz, OD, McGillis etc. I don't think MOC is the right guy for that job; Lou would be a better choice.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:03 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I have no specific source for this, but around here there's a lot of talk about Lamoriello going to the Bruins for the next season, whenever that is. I was told, just yesterday, that he was all but a Bruin already, and it was only a matter of time. I do believe his contract is up in Jersey, though I can't confirm that for certain.

Again, this is third or fourth hand info, so take it for what it's worth, but this *is* the rumour that I'm hearing.

ACF
Rumors about Lamoriello going to the B's are born each summer.

If this is true...I don't know:

I really prefer to have offensive team and sign exciting players to what Lou is doing now in NJ. (Hrdina,Kozlov etc). OTOH they won couple of Cups...Hmmmm

Is Lamouriello also Nets GM?

Old
04-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Bruinguy
Here we are again!

Mentioned on TSN last night that possible destinations for Burke would be either Boston or Chicago.

They also mentioned tonight that Burke was going to have some meetings with Vancouver about a future contract.

Take it as it is...

Old
04-22-2004, 09:08 AM
misterjaggers

It sounds like Jacobs is satisfied with the job O'Connell is doing lately. He especially liked the Nylander signing:
"While there's been much speculation that general manager Mike O'Connell could be in jeopardy, Jacobs believes O'Connell is the one to lead his team into the new economic frontier that will follow a new collective bargaining agreement.
``Yeah, I do. I don't think there's going to be anything changed there,'' Jacobs said. ``There are a lot of things that each one of us do that you might like to see done differently, but I'm confident in him.''
Jacobs complimented O'Connell's performance, ...
``I think Mike's done a good job, especially at the trade date, where the couple of deals he did were outstanding,'' Jacobs said. ``The (Michael) Nylander trade I never even saw and that was outstanding. The (Sergei) Gonchar one was one that we had spoken of, but I never thought we had a shot of getting him and I thought he did a job of getting that done. Those things I think he did well. And I think he moved (coach Mike) Sullivan along very well.
-Steve Conroy article in Herald
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...?articleid=577

Old
04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
``Yeah, I do. I don't think there's going to be anything changed there,'' Jacobs said. ``There are a lot of things that each one of us do that you might like to see done differently, but I'm confident in him.''
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the sporting "kiss of death" right there?

ACF

Old
04-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
It sounds like Jacobs is satisfied with the job O'Connell is doing lately. He especially liked the Nylander signing:
"While there's been much speculation that general manager Mike O'Connell could be in jeopardy, Jacobs believes O'Connell is the one to lead his team into the new economic frontier that will follow a new collective bargaining agreement.
Jacobs complimented O'Connell's performance, ...
``I think Mike's done a good job, especially at the trade date, where the couple of deals he did were outstanding,'' Jacobs said. ``The (Michael) Nylander trade I never even saw and that was outstanding. The (Sergei) Gonchar one was one that we had spoken of, but I never thought we had a shot of getting him and I thought he did a job of getting that done. Those things I think he did well. And I think he moved (coach Mike) Sullivan along very well.
-Steve Conroy article in Herald
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...?articleid=577

Were those quotes before or after the Bruins lost?

Old
04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe
Were those quotes before or after the Bruins lost?
after...JJ gave an interview discussing the playoffs. i think it's the right move- give OC another shot since he's been "positioning us" for the new CBA.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

if Burke becomes available, I think the Bruins organization needs to find him a job somewhere. Maybe he takes over for Sinden and helps MOC from that position?
Either way, I see it as a step in the right direction.

still suffering from a Game 7 hangover-
Lauri from Tacoma

Closed Thread