HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins back?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
  #76
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder11 View Post
I agree ,this would have a big impact in my game!!IMHO
So he knows he going to be traded since November?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
  #77
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Right now Higgins isn't even playing hockey he's just floating out there like Kovalev was last year, and how quick was everyone to trade him at the time. Let's wait until he regains his stride until we can judge him again. And he WILL, regain it. Fo sho.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
  #78
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I still think you guys are way off. I'd rather stick with the organization on this one. They thought he was who most of us thought he was and that he was ready for the A. I thought he was a 30 goal scorer....but right now it's the least of my concerns. If it was only his point production the problem I might be on your side but it's not. It's his complete game that has dropped...and that to me is the real issue.
The game he's displaying is waht he is going to give the Habs in the present and the future. Hot streaks mean nothing in some cases. Look at Antropov. He had a great start this year. Now he's falling down and will likely never fetch these numbers again. Even Begin a couple of years ago was leaning through a 20-25 goals season (remember on october-november 2005 when he was always scoring clutch goals?).

Sometime everything works well for a player. But what makes the difference between a great and an ok player is that the great one will adjust his game to the opponent, and the ok player will let the opponents adjust to his game.

Higgins has not the tools to adjust his game to the opponents now. The other teams know him, and he didn't adjust. He doesn't have the talent to do so...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
  #79
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
So he knows he going to be traded since November?
That's not fair. He was solid until the beginning of January.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
  #80
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
hell, what's your problem... I'm saying that I've been writing for a year that Higgins is nothing extraordinary, and that he's overrated. I've also been saying in that same year that Gainey should trade Higgins before he loses all his value, which could even drop, IMO, to Ryder's value's level.

People, in that same year, have been calling me crazy and told me that I knew nothing about hockey. I've been sticking to my initial idea despite that, and now, we see who the bandwagon fans really are.

Is that clear enough now?
Well, I'm just trying to figure out how you've been saying something for an year and it's only been 5 monthes since you register. Therefore, if you really validate that you've been saying that for an year, the only possibility I see is that is not your first account and multiple accounts is against the rules; I just find this a bit intruiging.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
  #81
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
The game he's displaying is waht he is going to give the Habs in the present and the future. Hot streaks mean nothing in some cases. Look at Antropov. He had a great start this year. Now he's falling down and will likely never fetch these numbers again. Even Begin a couple of years ago was leaning through a 20-25 goals season (remember on october-november 2005 when he was always scoring clutch goals?).

Sometime everything works well for a player. But what makes the difference between a great and an ok player is that the great one will adjust his game to the opponent, and the ok player will let the opponents adjust to his game.

Higgins has not the tools to adjust his game to the opponents now. The other teams know him, and he didn't adjust. He doesn't have the talent to do so...
I hate to be redundant... but like I said in my previous posts... This KID isn't even playing right now and he needs a serous wake up call. When he broke into to league he was flying. Do you remember those days? When he used to beat defensemen to the puck on a regular basis. I'm not even talking about puck handling or vision, justs speed alone. He was the man. Right now he needs a smack upside the head.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:54 PM
  #82
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, I'm just trying to figure out how you've been saying something for an year and it's only been 5 monthes since you register. Therefore, if you really validate that you've been saying that for an year, the only possibility I see is that is not your first account and multiple accounts is against the rules; I just find this a bit intruiging.
humm... question for you... have you ever wrote a hockey-related post? I could ask you another question, but I'll pass and let you play your game alone...

As for the 1 year quote, you perfectly know what I mean (ie. back in 2007).

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
  #83
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I hate to be redundant... but like I said in my previous posts... This KID isn't even playing right now and he needs a serous wake up call. When he broke into to league he was flying. Do you remember those days? When he used to beat defensemen to the puck on a regular basis. I'm not even talking about puck handling or vision, justs speed alone. He was the man. Right now he needs a smack upside the head.
30 points in his first 38 games and he was amazing for us in the first half. He really has disappeared since then though... no idea what's wrong with this guy because he's a heck of a lot better than what he's shown lately.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
  #84
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
humm... question for you... have you ever wrote a hockey-related post?
Yeah, when there's something to discuss but redundancy is quite the fashion lately. Anyways, I don't really like Higgins either, I'm still seeing him as a good 2-way player but not first-liner. Nevertheless, I think that this subject was more than covered lately.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
  #85
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I hate to be redundant... but like I said in my previous posts... This KID isn't even playing right now and he needs a serous wake up call. When he broke into to league he was flying. Do you remember those days? When he used to beat defensemen to the puck on a regular basis. I'm not even talking about puck handling or vision, justs speed alone. He was the man. Right now he needs a smack upside the head.

You think the opponent didn't adjust?

They made it a mission to check him in those occasions, and little'Higgy found that it hurts to get checked on the boards... he's not alone and that's a pretty normal reaction.

I disagree when you say that he should get punished... He can't give more than that... as the others said, he has limited skills and limited vision. He often makes the bad play. He has to play with hot players to produce. That's not exactly the definition of a superstar...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:59 PM
  #86
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Yeah, when there's something to discuss but redundancy is quite the fashion lately. Anyways, I don't really like Higgins either, I'm still seeing him as a good 2-way player but not first-liner. Nevertheless, I think that this subject was more than covered lately.
thanks for your opinion dude, nice talking hockey with you.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
  #87
StanleyCH25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Personally, I think there's something not quite right with his game. There are some mental lapses and he seems to be struggling heavily. I remember watching his games with Hamilton and he was what I consider to be an intellectual player... seemed to know where the play was heading and always be one step ahead of the play. He didn't have the best hands in the world but his smarts seemed to really pay off. Now, for some reason, he seems to be struggling heavily with this aspect of the game so I can't help but wonder if he's distracted by something. Whether it's an injury, a personal issue or just over analysing things to the point that he starts doubting himself.

Still, I think he's a very capable player and will bounce back. The question is whether it will be with Montreal or not. I guess we'll know in a few days. Is he ever going to be better than Marian Hossa? Offensively it's highly unlikely but I can't help but feel like he's that kind of player who will bleed for you if it will win you a game which Hossa would not.

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:09 AM
  #88
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
The game he's displaying is waht he is going to give the Habs in the present and the future. Hot streaks mean nothing in some cases. Look at Antropov. He had a great start this year. Now he's falling down and will likely never fetch these numbers again. Even Begin a couple of years ago was leaning through a 20-25 goals season (remember on october-november 2005 when he was always scoring clutch goals?).

Sometime everything works well for a player. But what makes the difference between a great and an ok player is that the great one will adjust his game to the opponent, and the ok player will let the opponents adjust to his game.

Higgins has not the tools to adjust his game to the opponents now. The other teams know him, and he didn't adjust. He doesn't have the talent to do so...
I dont know if you read one single word of what I said....It's not about the frigging points. Right now he's useless. Even as a third liner. I cant believe you think this is what he will give this team...
We are talking about Christopher Higgins...not a frigging bag of potatoes. The guy who would hustle....skate fast....like at 1:13 in that clip or even at 1:30. We never see him do that again....not even get those shots or get open like that.



I have to question your analysis of the player. Some of you are talking as if only his point production is down. That's so far and away from the truth. Blinded by the stats....I'll say it one final time. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN STATS. The guy has no hustle, no confidence, no focus. He's totally confused on the ice and cant be used in a defensive assignment cause he's way to passive right now. Great you think this is the player he should have been all along....I assure you I have never see prior to this season that version of Higgins. Bravo...your crystal ball does wonders. But to me its pure BS.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
  #89
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
...

Shortened quote but I agree with that. When Higgins had a certain hustle in his game I could forgive him for every empty net that he missed because he actually tried. But now, he's not the same at all. Reminds me of Zednik (before both injuries *knocks on wood*) and the recent Ryder if anything. Just get ur **** together man.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
  #90
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I dont know if you read one single word of what I said....It's not about the frigging points. Right now he's useless. Even as a third liner. I cant believe you think this is what he will give this team...
We are talking about Christopher Higgins...not a frigging bag of potatoes. The guy who would hustle....skate fast....like at 1:13 in that clip or even at 1:30. We never see him do that again....not even get those shots or get open like that.



I have to question your analysis of the player. Some of you are talking as if only his point production is down. That's so far and away from the truth. Blinded by the stats....I'll say it one final time. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN STATS. The guy has no hustle, no confidence, no focus. He's totally confused on the ice and cant be used in a defensive assignment cause he's way to passive right now. Great you think this is the player he should have been all along....I assure you I have never see prior to this season that version of Higgins. Bravo...your crystal ball does wonders. But to me its pure BS.

I miss that Higgins.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
  #91
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Since when is time in the press box good for confidence?
It's not, but something needs to be done to shake him out of his stupor.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:18 AM
  #92
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
wow.....I almost forgot how good he was. I wish there were video of him beasting the boards, getting hounded by two guys and still come out with the puck. all I can say is what....the hell....happened. I almost never see him on the fly now. One theory. Skost addition to the line prevents him from carrying the puck himself so he's a bit lost on what to do. A year ago, I use to watch him fly on the wing with a great burst of speed for a shot. Now you barely see him. His game imo ain't suited with Skost although the latter has chemistry with Koivu. damn.....

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
  #93
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I dont know if you read one single word of what I said....It's not about the frigging points. Right now he's useless. Even as a third liner. I cant believe you think this is what he will give this team...
We are talking about Christopher Higgins...not a frigging bag of potatoes. The guy who would hustle....skate fast....like at 1:13 in that clip or even at 1:30. We never see him do that again....not even get those shots or get open like that.



I have to question your analysis of the player. Some of you are talking as if only his point production is down. That's so far and away from the truth. Blinded by the stats....I'll say it one final time. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN STATS. The guy has no hustle, no confidence, no focus. He's totally confused on the ice and cant be used in a defensive assignment cause he's way to passive right now. Great you think this is the player he should have been all along....I assure you I have never see prior to this season that version of Higgins. Bravo...your crystal ball does wonders. But to me its pure BS.
You don't seem to understand the fact that almost all these goals occured while he was not being covered by other players... The other teams have learned to counter him...

And I'm not even talking statistically... Have you ever played a sport in a high caliber in your life? You gotta adjust to the opponents and find some solutions to counter them... and the opponents will try to find a solution to counter you... etc etc...

Higgins is being watched carefully by the opponents and now he struggles. Remember Perezhogin's start in the NHL? He was flying all around the ice and nobody seemed to care about cover him. Later, the opponents adjusted and Alexander was unable to adjust.

Same thing with Higgins. The opponents know how he plays, and adjusted to his style. Now Higgins is lost because even when he comes back at what he did a year or so ago, it doesn't work anymore because the other players cover him carefully. He doesn't have the tool to do anything else, that's why he's lost now. A great player could find a way to do different things.

If you still consider Higgins as a potential future star, than be it. You'll just be very disappointed.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:32 AM
  #94
redmachine54
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
I think a benching is in order. We've seen Ryder benched, we've seen Lats benched, but neither of them are logging the same ice-time as Higgins.

It's tough, but I'm sure he knows he isn't playing well -- get the message across. This is over the course of... whatever games were played over the last two months. I do think he has the ability to score 30; 40's pushing it, but he can definitely do 30 one day. He has the talent to do it, but as znk pointed out, he's just not playing at the level he's shown he can play at.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:40 AM
  #95
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
You don't seem to understand the fact that almost all these goals occured while he was not being covered by other players... The other teams have learned to counter him...

And I'm not even talking statistically... Have you ever played a sport in a high caliber in your life? You gotta adjust to the opponents and find some solutions to counter them... and the opponents will try to find a solution to counter you... etc etc...

Higgins is being watched carefully by the opponents and now he struggles. Remember Perezhogin's start in the NHL? He was flying all around the ice and nobody seemed to care about cover him. Later, the opponents adjusted and Alexander was unable to adjust.

Same thing with Higgins. The opponents know how he plays, and adjusted to his style. Now Higgins is lost because even when he comes back at what he did a year or so ago, it doesn't work anymore because the other players cover him carefully. He doesn't have the tool to do anything else, that's why he's lost now. A great player could find a way to do different things.

If you still consider Higgins as a potential future star, than be it. You'll just be very disappointed.
I played Junior A and I also coached...not that it changes anything.

The Higgins we see right now is not even worthy of a 3rd line. See...there is not one word in your post about how his defensive play, awareness and intesity are all gone. That has nothing to do with the other team adjusting to him. What you said could all have an effect on his offensive game....but that's only a fraction of the problem and you seem to totaly ignore it no matter what arguments are brought up. Now if you said the Higgins you expected is somewhere between what we see now and what we saw when he was at his best....then you might have something. But to say that what we see now is what you thought all along...well then it just shows more about your inability to judge player ability then anthing else. I think I'm done on the subject. Higgins has never played this bad since he's been in the organization. And you say you expected that all along. All I can do is laugh in dismay. This is one of those "I told you so" I wouldnt be proud of.

And I consider Higgins as a top 6 player. Right now he's a fringe player.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
  #96
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,452
vCash: 500
I think Chris needs to play with different players.

Carbs should play him on the shutdown line. Give him defensive responsibilities. He will regain his confidence in a defensive role.

In other words he shouldn't play with Koivu anymore but with Lapierre.
Play Lats with Koivu instead.

zx81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
  #97
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I played Junior A and I also coached...not that it changes anything.

The Higgins we see right now is not even worthy of a 3rd line. Now if you said the Higgins you expected is somewhere between what we see now and what we saw when he was at his best....then you might have something. But to say that what we see now is what you thought all along...well then it just shows more about your inability to judge player ability then anthing else. I think I'm done on the subject. Higgins has never played this bad since he's been in the organization. And you say you expected that all along. All I can do is laugh in dismay. This is one of those "I told you so" I wouldnt be proud of.

He's having the type of season I expected him to give us... now and in the future. An hardworking, inconsistent, lacking-of-talent forward who will get about 25-30-55 per season. Now he's in a slump, and he will get through similar slumps every year of his career.

This year is a reflection of what I think of his potential. He's overrated, and has a great value in the league while he's young. In two years, this will not be the case. Gainey would be wise to pull the trigger if he has a pending deal involving an impact player with Higgins going in the other way as the biggest piece from our side.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
  #98
Mr Megot
 
Mr Megot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I think Chris needs to play with different players.

Carbs should play him on the shutdown line. Give him defensive responsibilities. He will regain his confidence in a defensive role.

In other words he shouldn't play with Koivu anymore but with Lapierre.
Play Lats with Koivu instead.
I totally agree with Higgins playing on a shutdown line for some games. It worked last year with Pleky so why not.

I still beleive Higgins has the potential to be a consistent 30 goal scorer (maybe 25-35 goal scorer...) hes just having a terrible season. He will be part of the core of this team for many years to come and it would be a huge mistake to trade him.

Mr Megot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:55 AM
  #99
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
He's having the type of season I expected him to give us... now and in the future. An hardworking, inconsistent, lacking-of-talent forward who will get about 25-30-55 per season. Now he's in a slump, and he will get through similar slumps every year of his career.

This year is a reflection of what I think of his potential. He's overrated, and has a great value in the league while he's young. In two years, this will not be the case. Gainey would be wise to pull the trigger if he has a pending deal involving an impact player with Higgins going in the other way as the biggest piece from our side.
I agree with most of what znk said.. to me slumping is about missing opportunities, having bad bounces... but Higgins is almost invisible out there. Everything he does seems wrong à le moment.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
  #100
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
He's having the type of season I expected him to give us... now and in the future. An hardworking, inconsistent, lacking-of-talent forward who will get about 25-30-55 per season. Now he's in a slump, and he will get through similar slumps every year of his career.

This year is a reflection of what I think of his potential. He's overrated, and has a great value in the league while he's young. In two years, this will not be the case. Gainey would be wise to pull the trigger if he has a pending deal involving an impact player with Higgins going in the other way as the biggest piece from our side.
Couldn't say it better. Him being a more than 60 pts/season type of players is wishful thinking. Of course we can never be sure 100% what his true potential may be but it is way more probable that he'll over around 40-50 points a season most of his career (which I am ok with BTW).

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.