HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins back?

Old
02-24-2008, 01:13 AM
HabsPack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
Couldn't say it better. Him being a more than 60 pts/season type of players is wishful thinking. Of course we can never be sure 100% what his true potential may be but it is way more probable that he'll over around 40-50 points a season most of his career (which I am ok with BTW).
Agreed, Higgins doesn't have the hands nor vision to be a top 6 forward, he'd be perfect as a hard working 2-way 3rd liner.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

* He's two (2) points away from a career high.

* He's scored 20 goals in 3 straight seasons (rookie, sophomore, post-sophomore).

* He's managed a career high in assists this season.

* He's posted a career high +3 so far this season.

* He's put up a career high in shots (190).

* He's posted a career high in Power-Play goals (9).

* He's posted about a 1:00 worse production rate than last year, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a quick hot streak.

Yes, he hasn't been the player we thought he would be this year. But he's what... 24? Give the guy a break. He'll be a 30-goal scorer in this league... if not more. He just needs time.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Marksman

I think hes slowed down his production, because he thinks hes not allowed to score more than 38 points.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
30 points in his first 38 games and he was amazing for us in the first half. He really has disappeared since then though... no idea what's wrong with this guy because he's a heck of a lot better than what he's shown lately.
I said it before in this thread and will say it again, Koivu is a large part of what has happened to Higgins. If you don't believe me, force Carbonneau to play Higgins with Plekanec and you'll see. Make the lines:

Higgy - Plekanec - Kovalev

S.K - Koivu - A.K

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I wouldnt tought a year ago that i would say the reason Higgy sucks right now is because he is weak mentally.. but it seem to be case, not that he really is weak but he seem down or something... the spark IS NOT THERE. is he playing injured maybe... really not the higgins we know, for all i know he will be back next season better than never.. but its a mistery what is happeing with him right now..

come on higgy, wake up ! you have it inside you just make it come out.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Alfie Turcotte

Must be the yoga thing...

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:44 AM
FrankMTL

Guys...this is a young player. He is going through some of the worst lows of his career but one thing I know is that he's the type of player you go to war with (when he's on his game). Last year in the last game of the year, he was one of the only players to show up, and he took the loss to heart.

Maybe everything happened to fast for this young player. People were talking about him being the next capitain etc. etc. Just sit back and look at things objectively for a second. The player we are seeing right now is not the player we saw for the last 2 seasons and i'm not talking about points either. Just the way he skates, the way he is not dominating down low, the energy...its all missing.

One thing I do know is that you don't throw away a young player that bleeds red white and blue for a rental player. Higgins will never be a superstar, but i think he will top out anywhere between 25-35 goals a season. I don't think too many of us will complain with him having 30G-30A seasons.

Gotta be patient with young players guys. Look at what happened with Andrei Kost this year..

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
GoodKiwi

It's called unrealistically high expectations guys!

If we dig up the original thread that asked how many goals/points we should expect from Higgins this season, we will see that my 23G was probably the lowest total predicted there. Most people saw 35G+ for Chris, which I thought was outrageous given his natural talent. You can only do so much with work ethic alone and when even that isn't present you're in a deep hole.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Pascal

Bottom line is people here thought he would suddenly start scoring 40 like the Iginlas of this world.

RANDOM FACT: It took five seasons for iginla to break the 30 goals mark.

LESSON: Chill.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:36 AM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
* He's two (2) points away from a career high.

* He's scored 20 goals in 3 straight seasons (rookie, sophomore, post-sophomore).

* He's managed a career high in assists this season.

* He's posted a career high +3 so far this season.

* He's put up a career high in shots (190).

* He's posted a career high in Power-Play goals (9).

* He's posted about a 1:00 worse production rate than last year, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a quick hot streak.

Yes, he hasn't been the player we thought he would be this year. But he's what... 24? Give the guy a break. He'll be a 30-goal scorer in this league... if not more. He just needs time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Bottom line is people here thought he would suddenly start scoring 40 like the Iginlas of this world.

RANDOM FACT: It took five seasons for iginla to break the 30 goals mark.

LESSON: Chill.
This makes way too much sense

Seriously, he did overrate himself with the 40 goal comment, but if you think the first three seasons of his career are an indication of how he's gonna do later on, especially when you consider he's only 24, you need to re-think things. The guy's on a tremendous cold streak, and yet still has the potential of beating out all his old career highs; yet we were praising him last season and the year before.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Pascal

another thing to factor in is that Higgins probably put way too much pressure on himself. I think he was the first person to overrate himself. With that pressure going into a cold streak amplified his "depression"/over thinking about the game and now he is in a huge rut because of it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I love Montreal, people judge 20-24 year olds as if they couldn't get better, ever.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Alain Racette

Thank God I'm not the only who thinks Higgins is easily on the worst players on the team this season!

I think once he hops the plane to Atlanta, he'll feel much better!

To MTL:
-F Marian Hossa

To ATL:
-2008 1st Round Pick
-2009 2nd Round Pick
-F Christopher Higgins
-Prospect Kyle Chipchura
-Prospect Alexei Emelin

Get 'er done, Bob! Though he does strike me as a conservative-type GM, I really want him to make a splash!!! Please, we NEED a blockbuster. Pretty sad when one of the biggest trades is Jaroslov FREAKIN' Modry!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:47 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post
This makes way too much sense

Seriously, he did overrate himself with the 40 goal comment, but if you think the first three seasons of his career are an indication of how he's gonna do later on, especially when you consider he's only 24, you need to re-think things. The guy's on a tremendous cold streak, and yet still has the potential of beating out all his old career highs; yet we were praising him last season and the year before.
I think most people here agree that 40 goals was overrating. But people who say what we are seeing now is the real Higgins make me want to puke. The guy could be a healthy scartch any day and we wouldnt notice the difference. They want me to swallow that the real Higgins is an invisible guy that constantly makes mistake when he has and doesnt have the puck? Give me a break and just watch him play. That is not Higgins. Anyone who expected him to be a fringe player after the past 2 years needs a serious reality check.

Lets just say yes...he's supposed to be a 3rd line player and that's what you expected. Fair enough....but I cant believe that what you see on the ice is that....Third line players arent supposed to be invisble either.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I think most people here agree that 40 goals was overrating. But people who say what we are seeing now is the real Higgins make me want to puke. The guy could be a healthy scartch any day and we wouldnt notice the difference. They want me to swallow that the real Higgins is an invisible guy that constantly makes mistake when he has and doesnt have the puck? Give me a break and just watch him play. That is not Higgins. Anyone who expected him to be a fringe player after the past 2 years needs a serious reality check.

Lets just say yes...he's supposed to be a 3rd line player and that's what you expected. Fair enough....but I cant believe that what you see on the ice is that....Third line players arent supposed to be invisble either.
... he's an inconsistent player who lacks talent. When he works less, he is unvaluable, because he doesn't have the talent to do something without working. When he takes a night off, he looks like he looked last night.

He's gonna be the type of player we see this season... an inconsistent guy who will find a way to score around 25 goals per season when he's playing with good linemates and/or when he has quality minutes. But he's not an impact player and he will never be.

When he was hurt last year, the team had his best moments of the season. Even if he had 13 points in 13 games, this doesn't mean he had an impact.

What I mean, is that he's not the type of player who has an impact on a team... he's just a complementary player who can score goals to help you sometimes. He's valuable, but you don't build your offense around guys like that...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:02 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
I love Montreal, people judge 20-24 year olds as if they couldn't get better, ever.
It is also physically impossible to get stronger.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
... he's an inconsistent player who lacks talent. When he works less, he is unvaluable, because he doesn't have the talent to do something without working. When he takes a night off, he looks like he looked last night.

He's gonna be the type of player we see this season... an inconsistent guy who will find a way to score around 25 goals per season when he's playing with good linemates and/or when he has quality minutes. But he's not an impact player and he will never be.

When he was hurt last year, the team had his best moments of the season. Even if he had 13 points in 13 games, this doesn't mean he had an impact.

What I mean, is that he's not the type of player who has an impact on a team... he's just a complementary player who can score goals to help you sometimes. He's valuable, but you don't build your offense around guys like that...
What you dont seem to understand from what I'm tyring to say is that I see no value in the guy on the ice rigtht now.
Lets do it an other way since you appear to be only good at finding his falws.

What are his qualities that make him valuable. I'm not talking about the old Higgins. The one you see on the ice now...the one you think is the real Higgins. What qualities do you see in him that makes him valuable and that you saw in your evaluation of him in the past few years?

Old
02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I said it before in this thread and will say it again, Koivu is a large part of what has happened to Higgins. If you don't believe me, force Carbonneau to play Higgins with Plekanec and you'll see. Make the lines:

Higgy - Plekanec - Kovalev

S.K - Koivu - A.K
Higgy - Plekanec - Kovalev played 1 game together. They had 2 goals in that game...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:10 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What you dont seem to understand from what I'm tyring to say is that I see no value in the guy on the ice rigtht now.
Lets do it an other way since you appear to be only good at finding his falws.

What are his qualities that make him valuable. I'm not talking about the old Higgins. The one you see on the ice now...the one you think is the real Higgins. What qualities do you see in him that makes him valuable and that you saw in your evaluation of him in the past few years?

you have some real issues with reading don't you?

I said that the player we have been seeing THIS YEAR is the player we'll see in the future. Now he's completely useless, but he's in a cold streak. He will, at some time, get back in a hot streak, but then he will go back down in another cold streak. He'si nconsistent in his game, and doesn't have the tools to work less. If he works less, than he is close to useless. Every player go through similar streaks, but that's where you can see who are the great players and who are the "ok" players.

What are the qualities that make him valuable? To perform, Higgins has to work. The only thing he has on his side is speed + hardworking. Now, he's in a streak where he works less... it happens to every player, especially at this time of the year where they are tired. The difference is that some players can count on other qualities... which is not Higgins' case.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
MastaK

Where is the Higgins that we saw at the beginning of the season?? We need him for the playoffs!

I have no worries, IFFF he is not injured, he will be back for the playoffs

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post

To MTL:
-F Marian Hossa

To ATL:
-2008 1st Round Pick
-2009 2nd Round Pick
-F Christopher Higgins
-Prospect Kyle Chipchura
-Prospect Alexei Emelin

Please, we NEED a blockbuster.
This easily qualifies as one of the worst trade proposals ever posted. Tell me you weren't serious.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
Thank God I'm not the only who thinks Higgins is easily on the worst players on the team this season!

I think once he hops the plane to Atlanta, he'll feel much better!

To MTL:
-F Marian Hossa

To ATL:
-2008 1st Round Pick
-2009 2nd Round Pick
-F Christopher Higgins
-Prospect Kyle Chipchura
-Prospect Alexei Emelin

Get 'er done, Bob! Though he does strike me as a conservative-type GM, I really want him to make a splash!!! Please, we NEED a blockbuster. Pretty sad when one of the biggest trades is Jaroslov FREAKIN' Modry!
Smoking much?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Higgy - Plekanec - Kovalev played 1 game together. They had 2 goals in that game...
It must be tried again. Higgins and Pleks played well together in Hamilton. It costs nothing to try it. It could not be worse for Higgins.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:32 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
you have some real issues with reading don't you?

I said that the player we have been seeing THIS YEAR is the player we'll see in the future. Now he's completely useless, but he's in a cold streak. He will, at some time, get back in a hot streak, but then he will go back down in another cold streak. He'si nconsistent in his game, and doesn't have the tools to work less. If he works less, than he is close to useless. Every player go through similar streaks, but that's where you can see who are the great players and who are the "ok" players.

What are the qualities that make him valuable? To perform, Higgins has to work. The only thing he has on his side is speed + hardworking. Now, he's in a streak where he works less... it happens to every player, especially at this time of the year where they are tired. The difference is that some players can count on other qualities... which is not Higgins' case.
I've seen two Higgin's. The one I've come to expect and saw for the first 15 games and then the invisible version we've seen for the rest of the season. So when you say what you see is what you expected I have to consider it's one of those two.

I dont know wether to laugh or cry seeing that you only can identify 2 qualities in Higgins.
So...Higgins has no anticipation skills? No checking skills? No leadership qualities? No intensity? No grit? No determination? No defensive awareness? No offensive awareness? etc..?

When he's at his best he's one of the team's best stickhandlers in tight spots. This dosent happen by chance...Random slugs will never be able to do that even if they try their best.

Old
02-24-2008, 12:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

The question is: Is Higgins another Mr October like Savage ?

I think that he might be overated and should play for the moment on a second or third line at best - or be seated for a couple of games.

But I would not trade him. This is a move that will destruct the so called chemistry that may exist. Komisarek will turn his switch to off and will never re-sign here.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote