HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ville Leino

Old
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Ville Leino

From Eklund:

Remember the name Ville Leino this summer. He is leading the Finnish League in scoring: 25g-35a-60pts and is +30 in 45 games played. He is a puck possession forward who is not a afraid to get physical, and is drawing HUGE comparisons to some recent European greats. From all reports he will be stepping into someone's top six in the NHL next season.

If the scouting reports are even remotely accurate, do you think the Rangers make a run for him? It sounds like he is a great player that can score, and also has a mean streak. He would be a great replacement for Avery if his act wears thin or if the Rangers can't resign him. The possibility that he could know his fellow countryman Korpedo can't hurt either.

Your thoughts?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
broadwayblue

If he's going to be a top 6 forward next year it would be reasonable to assume he's a top 10 pick, no? Are you suggesting we trade our 1st and 2nd to move up to get him?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If he's going to be a top 6 forward next year it would be reasonable to expect he's a top 10 pick, no? Are you suggesting we trade our 1st and 2nd to move up to get him?
The guy is 24, so I believe he would be a UFA a la Brunnstrom

Edit: Not sure if he entered the NHL Draft before and went undrafted, so I actually don't know if he would follow the same rules as Brunnstrom. Can anyone help me out on the official rule?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think he's way beyond draft eligibility no?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
He should be a regular UFA.

Don't know much about him, and he sounds intriguing but our Finnish scouting is not very good.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Nich

rather have fabian. but really, i wouldn't be surprised to see us snag one

shanny and straka is out of our top 6, and really i think avery will be back on the 3rd line next year, if resigned at all

______ - gomez - jagr (assuming extended)
Dawes - Drury - Prucha
Avery - Dubi - Callahan
Byers - Moore - Orr

so why not?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
id rather get brunnstrom first.....i have a feeling that NHL teams will be keeping a closer eye on the foreign leagues for guys like Brunnstrom to pop up that NHL teams can snag...which will lead to getting guys that were good in foreign leagues but are barely bottom 6 forwards in the nhl

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Shadowtron

Notice how you don't hear about the Rangers pursing these guys? However, jack 10 years onto Brunnstrom's or Leino's DOB and Slats is in there like Daffy Duck on a pile of gold: "HE'S MINE!! HE'S MINE! HE'S MINE!"

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
TheHotRock

isnt bruunstrom only like 17th in the sweidsh league in scoring now? a friend told me mattias weinhandl and pavel brendl(remember him) are 1 and 2.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Notice how you don't hear about the Rangers pursing these guys? However, jack 10 years onto Brunnstrom's or Leino's DOB and Slats is in there like Daffy Duck on a pile of gold: "HE'S MINE!! HE'S MINE! HE'S MINE!"
are you positive that we aren't pursuing Bruunstrom?

Also on a side note I wonder if anybody will try to sign Jarko Immonen this offseason once he isn't rangers property anymore.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Ola

I don't give much for the SM-Liiga right now...

All leagues in Europe have been "open", which means that if you finnish last in the SM-liiga, you are demoted, or atleast gets to play a play-off like series against the winner of the 2nd tier league, and the looser gets demoted to the Mestis league (2nd tier).

Like LA Kings facing Providence Bruins in a best of 7 series where the winner plays in the NHL and the looser in the AHL next year.

Finland closed their league a handful of years ago. The idea was to take away the pressure from the teams, so that they would be sounder economically, and more patient with homegrown finnish players.

The result have been a huge dropoff in pressure, wich have lead to a huge dropoff in all aspects. Especially financially and on the ice. There are 3-4 teams in the Swedish 2nd tier league, that got bigger budgets then the team in the SM-liiga with the 2nd highest budget. In the end, money talks. I mean, I've discussed the SM-liiga vs the SEL with some finns on here before, but somewhere in the end money got a impact. A SEL team got around 200-300% higher budget then a SM-liiga team, of course it shows on the ice.

The SM-liiga now is defenitly a 2nd tier league in Europe, on the same level as the Slovak league and the likes, and way beyond the RSL and SEL.

Truth to be told, I've never heard of Ville Leino, but it defenitly sounds like some Eklund stunt as usual.

Nobody would get all horny over someone scoring 1.5 PPG in the ECHL..

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nobody would get all horny over someone scoring 1.5 PPG in the ECHL..
you obviously haven't met any echl puck bunnies.....zing!

haha look what a puck bunny echl search found me!

http://www.voy.com/174941/55.html

Old
02-07-2008, 04:52 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
isnt bruunstrom only like 17th in the sweidsh league in scoring now? a friend told me mattias weinhandl and pavel brendl(remember him) are 1 and 2.
http://www.hockeyligan.se/index.php?...n=2007&lang=en

here is the list in the league. Brustrom is 17th.. A lot of names on this list...should tell you to stay away from him and the others. I was amped on this guy too but then i saw this and the top 5..

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Nich

you guys do realize that there is more skills to a hockey player than just scoring right?

i mean sure, brendl can score, but he also has over 100 penalty minutes which tells me he is still lazy and a lot of those are probably hooking calls.

Old
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Leino is absolutely GOLD in EHM.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Choice

At this point, if Eklund says it you can pretty much say it won't happen.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Leino is absolutely GOLD in EHM.
Haha, I just came in this thread to say that.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I wonder if anybody will try to sign Jarko Immonen this offseason once he isn't rangers property anymore.
Immonen is considered a "defected" player since he still has a year on the Rangers contract. If he wants to come back to North America (unlikely) another team has to deal with NYR for his rights.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Haha, I just came in this thread to say that.
same here

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Finnpin

He is not a mean player but can handle the physical game against him and still hold the puck. We call him the magician here. He is a center but this season he's been playing the right wing.

51 gp 27g 44a = 71 pts, still 4 games left.

Here is english article about Leino:
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=33a5a0f91c

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 03:21 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
He should be a regular UFA.

Don't know much about him, and he sounds intriguing but our Finnish scouting is not very good.
there is no "finnish" scouting. its european scouting.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
KRM

I actually thought Leino was on his way to the SEL.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTIKA16 View Post
http://www.hockeyligan.se/index.php?...n=2007&lang=en

here is the list in the league. Brustrom is 17th.. A lot of names on this list...should tell you to stay away from him and the others. I was amped on this guy too but then i saw this and the top 5..
It is like that in the minors. The best younger players seldom scores the most. Like Jason Krog scored like 2.5x as much as Dubi in the AHL last seaosn.

I think its a phenomen thats pretty unique for Hockey.

In the NHL whats hard is really not to put the puck in the net, or thats not that separates the top scorers from the guys who don't make it, its about getting chances to start with.

Pavel Brendl can shoot the puck. Hed easily be the best shooter on most teams in the NHL. Hes about at the same level as Shanahan.

But put Pavel Brendl on a line in the NHL; and that line would instantly get exposed and get stuck in their own end most of the time.

A player like Zetterberg really isn't that good of a shooter, and he don't got spectacular vision at all. He is tremendous in every aspect that leads up to getting a scoring chance -- and is one of the highest scoring players in this league because of it.

Mårtensson, Weinhandl and Brendl are good enough to get scoring chances in the SEL; just as Brunnström is for example -- but what puts Brunnström ahead of thoose guys as a prospect is his ability to create offense. What leads up to making the final play. Now, people should be realistic when it comes to Brunnström. He could become a fairytale story, becomming a star in the NHL after basically comming out of no where. But I still think its more likely that he won't make it. The big deal about him really is that is a UFA. But I would put him at late 1st round value right now. And only around 30% of all 1st rounders make it -- so he is far from a done deal.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
I actually thought Leino was on his way to the SEL.
Nope he has contract to Jokerit 08/09. Only place he is going is the NHL or he stays here.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:24 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Nope he has contract to Jokerit 08/09. Only place he is going is the NHL or he stays here.
Yea I know he has a contract over next season, but after that I've heard he was on the wish list of a few SEL clubs.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote