HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey in Habs uniform...

Old
02-23-2008, 10:50 PM
shredder11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
Seeing Gainey in the uniform was classic. The comment he made about being more comfortable in a shirt and tie was funny.

On a side note, I'm gonna cry like a baby when Saku gets his jersey retired. I've already named my first-born Saku (boy or girl, the name is unisex)

Im really hope your joking in a thread like this

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 10:51 PM
shredder11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Headline:

Habs GM Bob Gainey acquires veteran defensive forward for playoff push. Says his acquisition will be an "impact player". Details at 10:35 tonight.
Hehe
That would be sweet and a suprise.

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Unbelievable sight and I was so proud to be a Bob Gainey and a Hab fan. That moment is something the Leaf fans will never get, a real warrior, a real champion getting their jersey retired. I loved the skate around and in full CH gear.
Seeing Nuckles made me laugh as well. Man do I miss him as well.
In BOB WE TRUST, cup in 2009.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:08 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
On a side note, I'm gonna cry like a baby when Saku gets his jersey retired. I've already named my first-born Saku (boy or girl, the name is unisex)

No offense but Saku won't be getting his number retired by the Canadiens. He's been a loyal servant and a good player, but all the retired numbers are multiple cup winners and sure fire hall of famers. Saku has only two all-star appearances.

Maybe you were being sarcastic though....

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:39 AM
mabus

No hab has ever had their jersey retired, without entering the hall of fame. It's a higher honor than the hall of fame. Koivu is not going into the hall of fame.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I was at both ceremonies this year, IMO Robinson's was much better planned. I realize Gainey is a family man and doesn't like the spotlight, but I would have liked a hockey person to have spoken today ... where were the stories of him playing with 2 separated shoulders, with a dislocated shoulder, of the 1979 playoffs, where was the mention of Gainey being the only player to be carried on Forum ice ever, etc.. shrug.

Ohh common dude. The guy lost his frickin brand new towel when he was 8 can't you have some pity for the poor guy. Or at least mention his courage... he used the highest springboard at the pool even though he was only 8.

HomaridII

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Sumhabs

Each time there is a ceremony for retiring a ancien player's jersey I cry because Im like : Dang those players looked like beast and I will never see another guy like this in my life with the Habs... ;(

There also looked like real gentleman, learning french, etc...

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours View Post
Ohh common dude. The guy lost his frickin brand new towel when he was 8 can't you have some pity for the poor guy. Or at least mention his courage... he used the highest springboard at the pool even though he was only 8.

HomaridII
lol

The best ceremony I've seen is the one for Boom Boom, it was very emotional, other than the forum ceremony of course. The one for Robinson was amazing too, it was a great experience to hear Lou speak about the Habs dynasties and Larry in particular and how they affected and influenced him. It was great to see the Habs fans give Lou an ovation despite his team killing us for years, lol.

I love Gainey, he is a great example for everyone to follow on and off the ice, but I wasn't celebrating him losing a towel or jumping off a high springboard, lol.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:10 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
i too never got to see him play (born in 85), and it put a nice big smile on my face.

For a second I crossed my fingers and hoped he would say he's suiting up tonight. lol!
LOL me too!

and did he look huge in that Jersey?!
he'd be our biggest forward!

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Pascal

Because of that towel story from last night I dreamt I was diving in a pool at night. Thanks a lot Newbie!

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
optimus2861

I'm not a fan of dressing a retired player up in full uniform for a number-retirement ceremony, they just look old doing it. Gainey, sadly, was no exception.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote