HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/23 • New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres • 7:00 PM • MSG

Old
02-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The team needs a defensive upgrade. Having both Malik & Strudwick in there for the stretch drive is never going to make it easy.
Hey TB....with or without Mara, I totally agree and expect Sather to get, at the least, a 2nd pair D-man before Tuesdat night...My preference is a steady, phyiscal D-man, but a puck mover /offensive D-man could help also...I would guess some of Prucha, Hossa, Hollweg, prospects/picks (Montoya being the biggest--for a bigger return) would go the other way

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 10:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Hey TB....with or without Mara, I totally agree and expect Sather to get, at the least, a 2nd pair D-man before Tuesdat night...My preference is a steady, phyiscal D-man, but a puck mover /offensive D-man could help also...I would guess some of Prucha, Hossa, Hollweg, prospects/picks (Montoya being the biggest--for a bigger return) would go the other way
So, what's your thoughts on the McCabe rumor then?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, what's your thoughts on the McCabe rumor then?
I just read that one! MCCabe is defenitelty a player who when healthy would cover BOTH needs...But, he seems to get hurt alot....and I think the price to get him (in players and in cap space---what's his contract status for the next few years?) might be to high for my blood

Old
02-23-2008, 11:04 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
absolutely, especially montoya

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I just read that one! MCCabe is defenitelty a player who when healthy would cover BOTH needs...But, he seems to get hurt alot....and I think the price to get him (in players and in cap space---what's his contract status for the next few years?) might be to high for my blood
See, I'm not so sure about that...according to Newsday, the Leafs have offered McCabe to the IceHoles a few times this year, only to be re-buffed. And, Fletcher was brought in to clean up the mess. So, considering that the Rangers are one place that he might waive his NTC, (I believe his wife has LI connections), the cost might not be as much as you think. Figure a Malik/Prucha package (for starters) sends back $4.35 million to the Leafs. At season's end, with Malik off the books, the Leafs get over $4 million in cap space.

Maybe, the Ranger have to add another player at Hartford - Moore or Byers, perhaps? But, if Fletcher's goal is to clean up his cap space and add a piece or two in the process, (much like Sather did in 2004), that might be enough to get a deal done.

Oh, and a poster at BB also claims that the person who told him that the likes of Rucchin, Niemenen and Mara were headed to the Rangers, said that McCabe is headed here. Take it for what it's worth.

Old
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
See, I'm not so sure about that...according to Newsday, the Leafs have offered McCabe to the IceHoles a few times this year, only to be re-buffed. And, Fletcher was brought in to clean up the mess. So, considering that the Rangers are one place that he might waive his NTC, (I believe his wife has LI connections), the cost might not be as much as you think. Figure a Malik/Prucha package (for starters) sends back $4.35 million to the Leafs. At season's end, with Malik off the books, the Leafs get over $4 million in cap space.

Maybe, the Ranger have to add another player at Hartford - Moore or Byers, perhaps? But, if Fletcher's goal is to clean up his cap space and add a piece or two in the process, (much like Sather did in 2004), that might be enough to get a deal done.

Oh, and a poster at BB also claims that the person who told him that the likes of Rucchin, Niemenen and Mara were headed to the Rangers, said that McCabe is headed here. Take it for what it's worth.

****......dont want a player like that around....he is a boo magnet....being payed too much even if his cap hit is something like 5.25......would rather offer rozsival that money

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Hmmm, I would have no problem with giving u[p Malik, Prucha and a decent prospect and I do kinda like McCabe's game..but his cap hit the next 2-3 years (on top of what we have) and his occasional injuries would concern me..I would look elsewhere first but....

Old
02-24-2008, 12:58 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
so pure butterfly goaltending is not going to universally be the best choice. Shorter players will need to play in more of an upright position. However, just because you aren’t tall doesn’t mean you should abandon the butterfly altogether. I wouldn’t recommend pure standup goaltending for anyone. Modern goalies should utilize all of the tools at their disposal. The butterfly is the proven best method to protect the bottom of the net.
You should send a memo to all the NHL goalies on this. Since you do know that 90% of the goalies these days play butterfly right? And 90% of goalies weak spot is upstairs right? You would make one heck of a goalie coach.

BTW...how come you only appear on the boards when Lundqvist gives up a goal and are nowhere to be found when Lundqvist has a great game, or a great 3rd period that helped up win the game? I bet if he had given up that 4th goal you would have been back here trying to bash Lundqvist with everything you got since 90% of your posts here are been that over the past 2 months.

It's getting old man, real old.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:38 AM
NHLhockey1234

haha, Flyline88. There will be always Lundqvist haters, but I think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post

One last thing..the last time we played in Buffalo and had a faceoff with that little time left, I knew the game was far from over. Sure enough, I was right. This time I didn't feel that way, because we have Chris friggin' Drury on our side. It's a good feeling.
Meh.
Drury definitely lost that faceoffs last playoffs to Nylander... But Zubrus retrieved the puck.
He lost the faceoff last night to Kotalik, but the Rangers blocked a weak point and cleared it (with a minute to go) and played the other one wrong letting Shanny hold it against the board.

Surprisingly, in a sloppy defensive game I though nearly every single defenseman played pretty well, with Rozsival just that much better than the rest.
The forwards were brutal defensively though, on both sides.
Goalies had weak moments too.

Congratz on the win, not the best game in terms of quality, but it was fun.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Butterfly goalies get beat up high. Its a fact of life.
I would say any goalie gets beat up high, butterfly or mixed style. If you put a laser in the top corner, chances are very high that you will score. Even a goalie standing up crouches a little, so even he is vulnerable over the shoulders. And if he stands up too much he will get smoked downstairs, which is statistically way worse than up high.

As and you said, Lundqvist has always played deep in his net. Who wouldn't when you can't rely on your defense to help you out on a regular basis? If the defense can't cut the passing lanes, Lundqvist is doomed on the cross ice pass, while being deep in his net gives him much better chances to do something about it. The only times I've seen him challenge the shooter aggressively, is when he feels it's sure there are no pass alternatives for the shooter. He can always improve in this apartment though and he knows it (of course). No one is as critical to your performance as yourself.

Or what, do people in here want Lundqvist to challenge a shooter, only to have him pass his buddy for the open net? We've all seen how inept our defense is at doing their part of the bargain.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-24-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 06:27 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The team needs a defensive upgrade. Having both Malik & Strudwick in there for the stretch drive is never going to make it easy.
Agreed--but if Mara is seriously injured--there is less chance that we'll move a defenseman before the deadline. We definitely will need to bring another d-man in or take a chance on Baranka or Potter, or Hutchinson or Pock passing through waivers. I'm not looking forward to seeing Strudwick taking a regular shift in the playoffs--that is a recipe for disaster.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 06:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agreed--but if Mara is seriously injured--there is less chance that we'll move a defenseman before the deadline. We definitely will need to bring another d-man in or take a chance on Baranka or Potter, or Hutchinson or Pock passing through waivers. I'm not looking forward to seeing Strudwick taking a regular shift in the playoffs--that is a recipe for disaster.

I still see the Rangers trying to upgrade, even if Malik has to be a part of the deal.

Old
02-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
At this point, I think it's too late to be looking at who in Hartford can help, because what if they can't?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:19 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Meh.
Drury definitely lost that faceoffs last playoffs to Nylander... But Zubrus retrieved the puck.
He lost the faceoff last night to Kotalik, but the Rangers blocked a weak point and cleared it (with a minute to go) and played the other one wrong letting Shanny hold it against the board.

Surprisingly, in a sloppy defensive game I though nearly every single defenseman played pretty well, with Rozsival just that much better than the rest.
The forwards were brutal defensively though, on both sides.
Goalies had weak moments too.

Congratz on the win, not the best game in terms of quality, but it was fun.
I wasn't really referring to faceoffs, I mostly meant the feeling that a player like Drury, who has a knack for those moments when down a goal, is on the other side of the ice. Buffalo is still a good team but I definitely think not having a player like that on their side makes me a little less intimidated.

A good game and I wouldn't mind if Buffalo made the playoffs...especially if they are in the mix with Philly and the Islanders and as long as it doesn't come at the expense of us.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I would not mind McCabe save for what you state. He would be too expensive as far as a price tag (prospect-wise) and I believe would take up nearly $6m in space over the next several years. With Drury, Gomez & Henke signed to what they have signed to, I would think that they Rangers could not afford such cap hits.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
At this point, I think it's too late to be looking at who in Hartford can help, because what if they can't?
But what if they can, MJ? Realistically, it does not take much to be a better defenseman on the ice than Strudwick. Baranka or maybe even a Potter would not have much problems doing so. I am not against a trade as a way to improve the team, so long as it does not cost much in prospects or cap space. However, failing that, I would give someone from the pack a shot and would not be shocked if said player would be better than either Strudwick or Malik.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote