Jacobs: Accountable?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 08:00 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Jacobs: Accountable?

It's been a 180 degree change for Jacobs, but I am happy to see he has been much more accountable for his team these days. In the article from today's Herald (http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...?articleid=577), he was willing to face the media and answer some tough questions.

Overall, we can deduce a few things from this trend. Clearly, Jacobs has felt the ire of fans and in response has become more visible to the media. What's more, he inserted his son into the Bruins operations in part to devise ways to improve his image. Just the same, you have to believe that as one of the most influential men in hockey, the constant failure of his team hurt his credibility with his peers. In any event, after 10 years of disappointing results, it's finally caught up to him, and now he's doing something to face up to it.

It makes you wonder if all the kicking and screaming for accountability by fans all over finally hit home. If so, maybe we can take just a little bit of credit. As the most popular message board for the Boston Bruins, it's reasonable to assume that such a forum can be fertile ground for such themes to gain momentum across the board. If our constant calls for accountability helped push the envelope in any way, we should be very proud.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:10 PM
maswe12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
It's been a 180 degree change for Jacobs, but I am happy to see he has been much more accountable for his team these days. In the article from today's Herald (http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...?articleid=577), he was willing to face the media and answer some tough questions.

Overall, we can deduce a few things from this trend. Clearly, Jacobs has felt the ire of fans and in response has become more visible to the media. What's more, he inserted his son into the Bruins operations in part to devise ways to improve his image. Just the same, you have to believe that as one of the most influential men in hockey, the constant failure of his team hurt his credibility with his peers. In any event, after 10 years of disappointing results, it's finally caught up to him, and now he's doing something to face up to it.

It makes you wonder if all the kicking and screaming for accountability by fans all over finally hit home. If so, maybe we can take just a little bit of credit. As the most popular message board for the Boston Bruins, it's reasonable to assume that such a forum can be fertile ground for such themes to gain momentum across the board. If our constant calls for accountability helped push the envelope in any way, we should be very proud.
I think it has something to do with gaining support for the lockout he's been dreaming of for a while. You dont wake up and grow a heart.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

His son is also undoubtedly an influence.

Say what you will, but Charlie is a true fan of the Bruins first, and his increased role with the team over the past several years has been a decent first step.

We'll have to see where the relationship leads, but it appears for now that the team is headed in the right direction for the future.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I'm sure Charlie emphasized to his father how much he could help the team's PR by being more hands on. Whatever the explanation, I continue to be pleased that Jacobs is more engaged in the team's workings. I don't even know how that even really impacts what happens in the front office day to day, but it gives you peace of mind about how the team is run.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:08 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker

I think that this board can easily take some credit for Jacobs new found accountability. Where else can a business owner get almost instantaneous feedback on even miniscule moves made by his management team. If he, or someone close to him is not checking in here almost daily then they are missing out on a tremendous resource.

Furthermore, the fact that there are so many regulars here only adds credibility to this feedback. I say this because there is a track record here. Sure some of us are constantly bringing up the positive, some constantly looking at the dark side. But in general the vast majority of posters here develop opinions case by case. If M.O'C pulls off a trade, Mr. Jacobs can come here and find out what B's fans think of the move and by and large the consensus here after about 3 pages of posts will probably mirror what rest of B's fans out there feel about the move.

As I said, if the Bruins aren't using us as a free marketing survey, they are surely lacking some fundamental business skills.

The opinions, thoughts, ideas, criticisms, and accolades that are provided here on a daily basis would cost the Bruins thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars, if they were to hire a marketing firm to gauge what B's fans really think.

We give it to them for free. All we ask in return is the acquistion of Gonchar and Nylander, caliber players at every trade deadline.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:19 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
His son is also undoubtedly an influence.

Say what you will, but Charlie is a true fan of the Bruins first, and his increased role with the team over the past several years has been a decent first step.

We'll have to see where the relationship leads, but it appears for now that the team is headed in the right direction for the future.
I thought the media made a big thing of Charlie at the beginning of the
year, but then I never heard from him.

Nothing during the swoon in Dec.
or when they picked up their play in Jan.
or at the trade deadline.

If he is suppose to be getting more involved I would have thought
we would have gotten some sound bites at those moments or through
out the year.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
If M.O'C pulls off a trade, Mr. Jacobs can come here and find out what B's fans think of the move and by and large the consensus here after about 3 pages of posts will probably mirror what rest of B's fans out there feel about the move.

As I said, if the Bruins aren't using us as a free marketing survey, they are surely lacking some fundamental business skills.
I agree with this - very much so.

I'm sure everyone remembers the frenzy around here when that first Gonchar rumour surfaced. Who knows where that really came from? The initial deal would have sent Sammy packing to Washington. Without a doubt, one glance at the thread dedicated to the Gonchar rumour by management (or anyone close to it) would have put a damper on the deal.

There's no doubt in my mind that ths board is consulted during times like those. How could it not? The majority of people were against the idea of sending Sammy to the Caps in exchange for RFA Gonchar, so no deal. Now that's influence - I just hope I'm right. To mirror what Sarge said, it would be a huge waste if management didn't use us as an accurate sample of Bruins nation

Old
04-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I think he has gotten involved by taking a look around at what is happening with the team and the fans and the city and passing that perspective and his recommendations back to Buffalo. I would rather have him bend Dad's ear and whisper, "we need a star defenseman, sign off on the trade" than see him clowning around on NESN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin
I thought the media made a big thing of Charlie at the beginning of the
year, but then I never heard from him.

Nothing during the swoon in Dec.
or when they picked up their play in Jan.
or at the trade deadline.

If he is suppose to be getting more involved I would have thought
we would have gotten some sound bites at those moments or through
out the year.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I have my suspicians that the Board is "sampled" .

By all facets of organizations...Front Office, press, players, player families , etc...

To MB's question... I do think that JJ has turned an ear to the fans. How much more he reacts is up to him. The fact that there is a reaction ,I take as a positive.

I personally don't care what his motives are.. I don't begrudge a business man making money.. I do it myself.... If it's "fan" motivated, himself being one ...hey, that's great.

I just want a chance to win.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-23-2004, 11:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
I agree with this - very much so.

I'm sure everyone remembers the frenzy around here when that first Gonchar rumour surfaced. Who knows where that really came from? The initial deal would have sent Sammy packing to Washington. Without a doubt, one glance at the thread dedicated to the Gonchar rumour by management (or anyone close to it) would have put a damper on the deal.

There's no doubt in my mind that ths board is consulted during times like those. How could it not? The majority of people were against the idea of sending Sammy to the Caps in exchange for RFA Gonchar, so no deal. Now that's influence - I just hope I'm right. To mirror what Sarge said, it would be a huge waste if management didn't use us as an accurate sample of Bruins nation
The Capitals never had any interest in either an established NHL player or a forward in their deal for Gonchar. They wanted a young defenseman. Boston offered Morrisonn, who was playing well in the NHL already while Toronto was balking at any
of their prospect defensemen. Samsanov was never on the table.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
The Capitals never had any interest in either an established NHL player or a forward in their deal for Gonchar. They wanted a young defenseman. Boston offered Morrisonn, who was playing well in the NHL already while Toronto was balking at any
yup...the only thing that sucks from boston's perspective is that we couldn't sell mcphee on jillson instead of 'sho-mo'

Old
04-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I remember that day very clearly. Sammy was RUMOURED to be in the deal - I clearly remember reading it here. The key word being rumoured. Whether or not he actually was on the table is another issue. For the sake of discussion, let's say he was. Sammy still has not reached his potential, meaning he's in a team's plans for the future, which is what the Caps wanted. In any event, with hindsight, I agree that he likely was not part of the deal

Old
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I have my suspicians that the Board is "sampled" .

By all facets of organizations...Front Office, press, players, player families , etc...

To MB's question... I do think that JJ has turned an ear to the fans. How much more he reacts is up to him. The fact that there is a reaction ,I take as a positive.

I personally don't care what his motives are.. I don't begrudge a business man making money.. I do it myself.... If it's "fan" motivated, himself being one ...hey, that's great.

I just want a chance to win.
Agreed wholeheartedly GW. I do have my suspicions about how much of a "fan" he is though. First, since if he proclaims to be a fan now, where was he the last 25 or so years when this team was a player or two away from being a true contender? Secondly we've all heard him talk about hockey. The frequent reliance on words like "disciple" and "execution" and the fact that he regurgitates whatever's written in the paper indicates to me that he's not a true follower of the team or the sport.
I'd bet my life he couldn't explain the two-line offsides, but if he authorizes a top 10 payroll going forward, I couldn't care less.

Closed Thread