HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers' defense next year...

View Poll Results: Which 6 current Oiler d-men would you like to be in next season's starting lineup?
Eric Brewer 66 98.51%
Jason Smith 51 76.12%
Steve Staios 62 92.54%
Cory Cross 8 11.94%
Igor Ulanov 54 80.60%
Alexei Semenov 60 89.55%
Marc Andre Bergeron 63 94.03%
Doug Lynch 16 23.88%
Jeff Woywitka 15 22.39%
Scott Ferguson 0 0%
Mikko Luoma 2 2.99%
Bobby Allen 2 2.99%
Matt Greene 4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 08:15 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
Oilers' defense next year...

Pick your top six.

Only current Oilers are listed. Pick the players you'd like to see in the lineup - not necessarily the players you think are the best.

So if you think Smith is the Oilers' best dmen, but you think he should be traded because of a possible big raise... then don't pick him as one of the six.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
outKast*

Brewer Semenov
Smith Staois
Phillips/Witt Ulanov/Bergeron

Old
04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Smith Brewer
Staios Bergeron
Semenov Ulanov/Cross

Lynch also deserves a look.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:28 PM
MrMackey

Smith Brewer
Staios Bergeron
Semenov Woywitka/Ulanov

Its almost a given that Ferguson won't be back, and I think Cross lost his job to Ulanov, but will be attractive trade fodder for a team looking for a reliable 5-7 defensemen.

I think Woywitka might be a little better than Lynch so I put him in the top-six (with Ulie as #7). But at the end of the day, Lynch's strengths might get him in to the lineup faster than Woywitka.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Oi'll say!

I'd love to see us re-sign Smith but not for much more than he's making now. I'd rather see that money go to Nedved if push comes to shove, we have lots of d-men and no bonafide #1 center.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
IMO Smith SHOULD be traded. We have lots of guys that can play the defensive defensman role. Use that cash to sign Nedved or an equivalent center, and then get some good youth or help in net from a team that needs the defensive help.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:23 PM
GorillazXL

Brewer - Staios
Ulanov - Semenov
Bergeron - Lynch/Woywitka

I think a team like Florida, Carolina or Atlanta would love to shore up a big dman like Smith who can play a tough game. I think both Florida and Atlanta must realize that their defense needs a leader like Smith who can cut the amount of shots on their goalies... A player like Smith would really benefit Atlanta or Florida, teams like that can't always plan for the future when they've got young talent now.

EG.
To EDM: Florida/Atlanta 1st pick
To FLA/ATL: Jason Smith + Chimera

or

To EDM: FLA/ATL 1st + Krajieck/Slater/2nd Round
To FLA/ATL: EDM 1st + Smith + Chimera

GXL

Last edited by GorillazXL: 04-22-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old
04-22-2004, 09:31 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
IMO Smith SHOULD be traded. We have lots of guys that can play the defensive defensman role. Use that cash to sign Nedved or an equivalent center, and then get some good youth or help in net from a team that needs the defensive help.
IMO he's our best defenseman so if EDM does trade him, there better one heck of a return.

GXL

Old
04-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Lowetide

If they don't make a trade, the d will likely look like:

Brewer-Smith
Cross-Staios
Bergeron-Ulanov

With Semenov the 7th man and drawing in when someone gets hurt. I think the Oilers have soured somewhat on him. My preference would be to have Semenov among the top 4, but the Oilers have other options.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

Brewer-Smith
Cross-Staios
Bergeron-Ulanov

With Semenov the 7th man and drawing in when someone gets hurt. I think the Oilers have soured somewhat on him. My preference would be to have Semenov among the top 4, but the Oilers have other options.
What makes you think they've soured on him? He didn't get a lot of ice time but neither did Hemsky towards the end of the season. I expect both to get a lot more minutes next year in a contributing role..

Old
04-22-2004, 10:46 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think Semenov, like Bergeron, shined the most with Igor beside him - so it'd be ideal to be able to have him play with Igor. But then who do you put Bergeron with? Staios, I s'pose would make just as good a partner I think for either of them. So say Staios and Ulanov each play with one of Semenov and Bergeron (only logical). Who plays with Brewer? Sure's hell better not be Cross... tried that last year and I know I'm not the only one who thought it was a disgusting display.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
What makes you think they've soured on him? He didn't get a lot of ice time but neither did Hemsky towards the end of the season. I expect both to get a lot more minutes next year in a contributing role..
Well, he hasn't stepped forward in the areas they feel he needs to, or at least that's my read. Semenov is big but doesn't use his body like he should, and a mean streak could help too. I love his calm feet at such a young age, and if I had my way he'd play here for a decade.

However, unlike a few years back when they were signing Scott Ferguson, the Oilers have options. Young, hungry, solid options.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

Brewer-Smith
Cross-Staios
Bergeron-Ulanov

I don't recall the exact state of the Oilers d-corps when they went out and signed Ulanov, did they have a veteran injured at that time?

They d they had was:

Smith Staios
Cross Brewer
Ferguson
[Bergeron Semenov]

I guess they were in a spot where they had to play at least one (relative) rookie and Fergie every night, or two rookies. If one of their top 4 went down they were looking at two rooks and Ferg.

IMO that means that picking up Ulanov wasn't really a vote of non-confidence in Semi (or anyone else specifically), just a sensible move born of necessity.

With Cross and Ulanov playing the defensive d-man role so well and Bergie looking like a better pp qb maybe Semi was just the odd man out. It's hard to sit out a vet like Cross or Igor and dress a youth, you might as well kiss them goodbye at the end of the season if they have any value on the ufa market.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:35 AM
copperaddict

I can see Lowe sending Smith to Ottawa after what happened to them again.He is just what Muckler was saying they needed.They have some good young "O" minded forwards.

Old
04-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Oi'll say!

Holy cripes, is Cross ever taking a beating.

Cory has been a very versatile player for the Oilers, doing a little bit of everything for this team and at a reasonable salary.

I don't want to see the Oilers get rid of a veteran d-man that they can afford regardless of who we've got in the minors right now. They've gone into the last two seasons with rookie d-men in the lineup virtually every single night and look where it's gotten us.

Lynch and Woywitka can come play a few games when one of our vets gets injured this season, maybe if they play really well they'll give Lowe the freedom to make a trade. Now's not the time though imo.

Old
04-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'd *like* to see Semenov as a regular, as that means he's improving as a player. He's had a horrendous year, but remains my favorite young defenseman in the league. I hold out hope

Otherwise, yeah, Cross should be the #6 guy.

Old
04-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

A horrendous year marked by his first all-star game, poor Semi.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Oilers Hockey

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Bergeron
Ulanov-Woywitka
*Cross

Old
04-23-2004, 05:00 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Barring moves:

Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Bergeron
Staios-Smith
Cross

With a move

Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Bergeron
Staios-(Puck Mover#2dman)
Cross

Old
04-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
Well, he hasn't stepped forward in the areas they feel he needs to, or at least that's my read. Semenov is big but doesn't use his body like he should, and a mean streak could help too. I love his calm feet at such a young age, and if I had my way he'd play here for a decade.

However, unlike a few years back when they were signing Scott Ferguson, the Oilers have options. Young, hungry, solid options.
Many of the same things re: Semenov were being said about Chara two years ago...patience is key with D-men, especially these big, big D-men.

And I agree the Oil have other young, hungry options... bye bye Fergie.... too bad Cross has the bloody contract, which will mean he's still here next year.

Old
04-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Jocks
Many of the same things re: Semenov were being said about Chara two years ago...patience is key with D-men, especially these big, big D-men.

And I agree the Oil have other young, hungry options... bye bye Fergie.... too bad Cross has the bloody contract, which will mean he's still here next year.
I thought Cross played pretty good for the amount of money and ice time he received. At some point, and Mizral constantly mentions this the expectations placed on the defence will be higher, and guys like Cross will never be more than a 7th dman on the Oilers, once the team gets to that level.

Closed Thread