HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Activity at the Deadline

View Poll Results: ?
Yes, Minor Activity (1-2 deals) 69 79.31%
Yes, Major Activity (2+) 4 4.60%
Nothing at all. 14 16.09%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Chosen...

I think they're thoughts are directly tied to the salary cap and what's available and for what price. Right now, I don't see the Rangers carrying anything less than 7 NHL defensemen. So if Malik's moved, another NHL defenseman comes in return, unless they feel Strudwick should be that 6th defenseman, which is a huge risk and as you get deeper into the playoffs, his lack of speed will show more and more as well as his lack of closure (Malik lacks speed, but with that 13 ft. wingspan he can still cover ground if beaten).

But again - it all depends on what's out there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
unless they were looking for a different kind of forward and Straka is the return. The question is, does St. Louis believe they're still in the race. I think the answer right now is yes. So are they going to get rid of a guy like Jackman, who they may lost to UFA this season, and trade him for a couple UFAs to be (not sure of Mayers' status). Not sure that makes sense for them - why not keep Jackman, unless the intent is to acquire Straka, as opposed to moving Jackman.
my thinking is that John Davidson wants to get the Blues into the playoffs NOW so as to look good as the new GM. The team is improving and I do think they can make the playoffs if they make a push. As you said, they weren't going to re-sign Jackman. Mayers has 2 years left on his contract but they have plenty of guys like him (Hinote,R.Johnson,King,Stastny,etc). Yes, Malik and Straka will be UFAs next season but I'm sure Davidson is thinking that since they know him from his days as the Rangers commentator, there is a good chance he could re-sign one or even both of them. I'm sure the Blues can give Malik and Straka much more money next season than the Rangers(Blues have more cap room). Straka is what they need since they need a good 2nd line center and Davidson has always liked Straka. Malik is there for veteran leadership...they have a lot of youth on the D, Backman,Johnson,etc.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote