HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Its possible the Rangers were not the most mis managed team in the NHL?

Old
02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Its possible the Rangers were not the most mis managed team in the NHL?

When I look at the Toronto Maple leafs along with their albatross contracts, all of which have no trade clauses, and cannot move any of these salaries on deadline day to teams hoping to make a futile attempt to win the cup, I realize that its quite possible that the Rangers were not the most mismanaged team over the past ten years as I thought.

When it came down to it, the Rangers were able to fire sale when needed, granted it was in a pre-salary cap era, but even so, was still able to yield a nice return for his more elderly players. Even now, I do not remember if Drury and Gomez have NTC's, however their deals are structured so if by the last two years of their deal, the Rangers want to part ways, the salary hit will be minimal for the team receiving the player, and the Rangers return will hopefully be the maximum.

With Brian McCabe, Darcy Tucker, Pavel Kubina, Tomas Kaberle, and Mats Sundin all refusing to waive their NTCS (Only the latter two actually deserve their contracts and their NTC's) This puts Gm Cliff Fletcher in quite a tight spot. He is now offically the heir to the worst run team in the NHL over the last ten years ahead of the Rangers at #2 and the Isles at #3. And for the Record the only reason I bring in the Isles is because of Milbury. That team had excellent scouting and otherwise was well run outside of Mike.

Am I wrong to be thinking this way?

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 02-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Three Rangers players have trade restrictions

Drury-NMC
Gomez-limited NTC-he picks 3 teams he can't be traded to and the remaining 27 teams are up for game
Lundqvist-limited NTC-picks 8 teams he can'd be traded to-becomes effective 7/1/09

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Leafs ****ed themselves

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Either way, the its not nearly as bad as the situation the leafs are in.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The difference is when there was no salary cap they at least had a coach so they made the playoffs and stuff but then when there was a salary cap they never had the vision like the Rangers did to study and adapt to this new environment. The Rangers bailed out of all the bad contracts on time and even anticipated stealing Jagr and putting half the bill on the Caps, which helped considerably. The Rangers prepared for the coming storm and came out great for it. The stoppage was the best thing that could happen to the Rangers because they knew what to expect. Other teams like the Leafs did not do their homework and now you have that mess. They deserve it though. They don't have many young players to speak of, their prospect cupboard is bare and their management is just inept.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

With the amount of trades (not) happening this year, it doesn't really matter who has NTC's, clearly players are tough to move unless their salary is dirt cheap.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
When I look at the Toronto Maple leafs along with their albatross contracts, all of which have no trade clauses, and cannot move any of these salaries on deadline day to teams hoping to make a futile attempt to win the cup, I realize that its quite possible that the Rangers were not the most mismanaged team over the past ten years as I thought.

When it came down to it, the Rangers were able to fire sale when needed, granted it was in a pre-salary cap era, but even so, was still able to yield a nice return for his more elderly players. Even now, I do not remember if Drury and Gomez have NTC's, however their deals are structured so if by the last two years of their deal, the Rangers want to part ways, the salary hit will be minimal for the team receiving the player, and the Rangers return will hopefully be the maximum.

With Brian McCabe, Darcy Tucker, Pavel Kubina, Tomas Kaberle, and Mats Sundin all refusing to waive their NTCS (Only the latter two actually deserve their contracts and their NTC's) This puts Gm Cliff Fletcher in quite a tight spot. He is now offically the heir to the worst run team in the NHL over the last ten years ahead of the Rangers at #2 and the Isles at #3. And for the Record the only reason I bring in the Isles is because of Milbury. That team had excellent scouting and otherwise was well run outside of Mike.

Am I wrong to be thinking this way?
You can't compare pre and post lockout management of teams. The circumstances under which a trade can be made, thus escaping any poor contracts, are completely different. This is by design of the new CBA.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
With the amount of trades (not) happening this year, it doesn't really matter who has NTC's, clearly players are tough to move unless their salary is dirt cheap.
The trades will come. It's early.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
The Leafs ****ed themselves
They've been doing that to themselves since 1967. They are a joke of a franchise.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote