HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Valiquette

Old
02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
TheSchwab

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Valiquette

Couple of things here:

- Steve's a class act. Great guy to back up Hank. Do you think He will see ice the rest of the season? I'm not sure he will...

- He has clearly shown he can be a solid backup, but I just wonder if he accepts it being on a winning team. I would love to see him get a long term deal too because I trust him in net.

- With that said, how do you guys feel about letting go of Montoya now? We could get a good amount for him and personally the clock is ticking on him. Hank is clearly our goalie for the future, so is the time now? I would try to move him tommorow or over the offseason, that is if Vally is willing to stay. I think Vally could be near the level Montoya is just because of NHL experience.

Thats all

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
clmetsfan

Bad idea to let Montoya go right now. His stock has never been lower. I agree that Vally has shown himself to be more than capable of handling NHL backup duties (and he's got the right personality for it to boot). I would think he might get another start this season -- maybe @ Florida or TB on 3/14-15 or @ Philly on 3/21.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think if you're going to have a #1 goalie who WANTS to play 60+ games a season, Vally is probably the guy you'd want backing him up. Now I can't say I'm 100% sold on him in the playoffs, but we don't know how he'll perform yet.

From an attitude/personality perspective, he's great to have in the locker room from what I can tell. It seems like he's just a "happy to be a Ranger" kind of guy.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Airborne Troll*

He's a great goalie indeed

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Big difference to last year, the team can play (not that they always do...) a solid game in front of either Vally or Lundqvist. I often had the feeling they couldn't do that in front of Weekes, plus they didn't really trust Vally when Weekes was injured.
Last year it was almost a given that Henrik would play all playoff games but this year Renney at least has a viable option to go with Vally, even in a pinch, say if Henrik is sore somewhere and needs a game off.

I agree with almost everything you say except your premise that we could get something significant in return for Montoya. Not now. Maybe next season when Al has gotten a few NHL games under his belt. I can see both Al and Vally getting extensions before July 1st. At what price I have no idea (yes I have an idea but I'm always wrong...).

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think if you're going to have a #1 goalie who WANTS to play 60+ games a season, Vally is probably the guy you'd want backing him up. Now I can't say I'm 100% sold on him in the playoffs, but we don't know how he'll perform yet.

From an attitude/personality perspective, he's great to have in the locker room from what I can tell. It seems like he's just a "happy to be a Ranger" kind of guy.
one of the best backups in the league, big upgrade over weekes and when dunham was our starter

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Usually if you have to play your backup in the playoffs, it's because your #1 is hurting or has really bombed. Either way, you're screwed.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I want him back, that's for sure.As for Montoya, package & release.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have no problem trading Montoya ASAP.

Because Wiikman is better, we should lock him up.

And Montoya will never see an NHL game in the Rangers organization anyway.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
TheSchwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
And Montoya will never see an NHL game in the Rangers organization anyway.
thats why I say lets get something for him.

Old
02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
thats why I say lets get something for him.
I agree.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
frozenrubber

Anyone who honestly thinks Valiquette is a better goalie than Montoya is simply wrong.

If it wasn't for his cap hit, Montoya would of been the backup this year. With the conclusion of Al's bonus laden entry level contract, he will be Valley priced for the upcoming season.

And those who think Valliquette is a great team player and Ranger fan, well, there are approximately 18,200 similar personalities in MSG every home game but that doesn't make a great goalie.

While many love the idea of a backup who is good for a smattering of 15 games, a true great backup should both push the #1 and be able to play a large swatch of games in a row if an injury happened to Lundqvist. Who hear is confident to see Valley play 10 consecutive games?

I've been very impressed with Valley's play this year, but it's a no-brainer in choosing between Montoya and Valley if money isn't a consideration (and will not be after this season).

Valley's a great guy, no argument here. But Montoya has a level of play and ceiling that Valiquette can never reach.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Anyone who honestly thinks Valiquette is a better goalie than Montoya is simply wrong.

If it wasn't for his cap hit, Montoya would of been the backup this year. With the conclusion of Al's bonus laden entry level contract, he will be Valley priced for the upcoming season.

And those who think Valliquette is a great team player and Ranger fan, well, there are approximately 18,200 similar personalities in MSG every home game but that doesn't make a great goalie.

While many love the idea of a backup who is good for a smattering of 15 games, a true great backup should both push the #1 and be able to play a large swatch of games in a row if an injury happened to Lundqvist. Who hear is confident to see Valley play 10 consecutive games?

I've been very impressed with Valley's play this year, but it's a no-brainer in choosing between Montoya and Valley if money isn't a consideration (and will not be after this season).

Valley's a great guy, no argument here. But Montoya has a level of play and ceiling that Valiquette can never reach.
I can reply to your post with one simple statement.

When Montoya proves he can handle NHL-level duties (because, lately, he can't even handle AHL duties, and is getting out-played by a goaltender who was unknown to many people before this season).. then we can make a valid argument for Montoya vs Valiquette.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
TheSchwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Montoya is a great goalie. But personally I think he deserves better. Let him get a new organization, such as Tampa Bay, where he can play right away. Then we will see.

Old
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I'm not ready to release or trade Montoya. Some goaltenders take longer than others to develop and Montoya can be real good on the level of Ryan Miller or Marty Turco, both former Michigan St./Michigan goaltenders as well. I know he's been hurt a lot at this level but I believe it has to be something with the conditioning level with some of the players at Hartford. Guys like Montoya and Baranka get hurt every year.

Montoya can be Henrik's apprentice for the next couple of years if Valiquette doesn't come back. I think Vally is a great backup and I'd love to have him back but he's a UFA and he might go elsewhere for more money if it's offered.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote