HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Boll's Potential..

Old
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Boll's Potential..

What do you think Boll could end up doing with his career?

Do you think he could be a full-time fighter, who can chip in offensively (20-30 PTS per season) or is he just going to be an engery guy/fighter?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Palinka

He reminds me of a young Rick Tocchet. Tocchet was an afterthought who could do nothing but fight and hit when he came to the NHL, but got in under a hard-nosed Mike Keenan and developed into a top-level power forward.

There's no reason Boll couldn't do the same.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I don't like to see him fight. Rather, I'd like to see him concentrate more on his offensive skills. Tough to have soft hands with busted knuckles. Tough to finish when your arms are weary from throwing haymakers.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Stretch Factor

He will be, what he is.
I don't see a whole lot of offensive potential. I love the kid though.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Unlike previous agitators we've had (Wright, Ling) Boll goes out there EVERY shift looking to take an opposing players head off... I'm not saying Wright didn't show effort all the time, but this team counted on him to pick up some of the slack on offense, with Boll, whatever else you get is gravy.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:04 AM
ca5150

I think he could be a solid 3rd line forward, possibly even a 2nd line power forward. He has scored goals in juniors so he has a nose for the net if he gets some more ice time and plays with some more talented people. Bob Probert scored 29 goals and had 398 PIM's playing right wing to Steve Yzerman one season and made the all-star game. He will never be as tough as Probert but he has more offensive skills than Probey. I think Fritsche-Peca-Boll would be a pretty good third line if we pick up a 1st line center.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I think he definately has potential to be more of a threat offensively. I think he really does have a good shot too. Though what I like to see is the people who are put on the ice to score, scoring.

I do like his intensity. Other players seem to get more room when he's on the ice, imo. This is his first year and I think he has potential score about 10-15 goals/season. He works hard every shift, and I think that'll translate into success. Though mainly the reason why I'm happy with him, is because he's hitting and working hard. We don't have enough players that are saying "back off," like Boll does. Though in the game against Ottowa I saw Nash hitting a lot more than I have in a while.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I think he could be a solid 3rd line forward, possibly even a 2nd line power forward. He has scored goals in juniors so he has a nose for the net if he gets some more ice time and plays with some more talented people. Bob Probert scored 29 goals and had 398 PIM's playing right wing to Steve Yzerman one season and made the all-star game. He will never be as tough as Probert but he has more offensive skills than Probey. I think Fritsche-Peca-Boll would be a pretty good third line if we pick up a 1st line center.
Fristche.. I don't know, but I think think Hitch likes him very much.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Special Agent Cooper

Quote:
I think Fritsche-Peca-Boll would be a pretty good third line if we pick up a 1st line center.
It is definitely an idea worth exploring.

Special Agent Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Kutter

His wreckless style is very similar to how Dallas Drake played, especially earlier in his career. When Drake was with the Winnipeg Jets he hit everything that moved and often fired up the rest of the team.

Boll is bigger and stronger than Drake, but certainly has that same edge to him.

I think it is great that Boll is willing to take on anyone in terms of dropping the gloves right now, but in the long term he is not going to be able to do that and have a long career. I'd like to see him focus on being a tough, hard hitting forward because I think he could contribute a fair bit by continuing to force turnovers and keeping the other team on edge.

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:33 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Boll possesses a decent shot, so he does have some ok offensive upside. I think 10-15 goals a year would be fantastic... I have no qualms about how he plays or how many points he has now though...so its all good.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:12 AM
CBJSlash

There is some serious upside to Boller. Even if he is what he is right now he will be a valuable player. This being his first year in the league and all I have seen a shot that could easily score 20 goals in a year.

Let him develop, give him some more ice time. He will be a big player for us. I like the Tocchet comparison.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
What do you think Boll could end up doing with his career?

Do you think he could be a full-time fighter, who can chip in offensively (20-30 PTS per season) or is he just going to be an engery guy/fighter?
Hitchcock has been on record thinking Boll could be a 20 goal or more player in the league. He's a good enough skater, decent hands and tons of energy. If that's the case he's a 40 pt guy in the future. We'll see but he seems to have a lot a good traits in him. Oh, did I mention he drops the gloves too.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Lainey

I've felt all along that there is potential there for Boll to be a 20 goal-per-year player. He had some pretty gawdy numbers for an enforcer in the lower leagues, and I think right now he's just trying to carve out a niche on the roster... and as we've seen when he's been out of the lineup, he's done that as an agitator/fighter.

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:14 AM
gocbj

Most of all, I like what he makes the other teams do: He can handle himself on the #2 line, and think about what is going through the mind of the opposing team: "Oh bleep, someone is going to get killed". I like playing Boll on the #2 line for this reason alone. It screws up the other team. When he is on the 3rd / energy line or 4th line, other teams have a counter for him.

He has the skill to play on the 2nd line, and will take a few heads off too - seldom seen from a second line guy.

I'd like to see us pick up a heavyweight to cover most of the fights, and see Boll drop to about 10 for the year

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Casework

I saw Boll during a shootout competition that Jackets were having during practice. The kid has some moves.

I think, full potential, he could end up on the second line as a good power forward. I think he could really be our own version of Thomas Holmstrom.

He's making his mark this year and I'm fine with that, but I hope he and Hitch work to make him more well-rounded coming into next year. It's all there, he just needs to put it together.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I saw Boll during a shootout competition that Jackets were having during practice. The kid has some moves.

I think, full potential, he could end up on the second line as a good power forward. I think he could really be our own version of Thomas Holmstrom.

He's making his mark this year and I'm fine with that, but I hope he and Hitch work to make him more well-rounded coming into next year. It's all there, he just needs to put it together.
That's a great point that I have brought up in the past, something we are sorely in need of. Someone battling directly in front of the net, we've never had it. I called for it last year with Shelley, I think with some help, he could have been solid in front of the net. I've watched Holmstrom since his rookie year and he was a poor skater in the early years but developed into a top line player by taking a beating in front of the net. Boll is more talented offensively than Holmstrom and with the right linemates could really open up some offense.

Old
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I don't like to see him fight. Rather, I'd like to see him concentrate more on his offensive skills. Tough to have soft hands with busted knuckles. Tough to finish when your arms are weary from throwing haymakers.
I hear his father is also not thrilled to see him dropping the gloves so much. I think the kid has some talent and should work on developing it lest he become Shelley Part Deux.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Pluckfur

I'm hoping we become a team who is RESPECTED for our work ethic and skill. Fighting should be something that an honest and respectable team should only have to take out and dust-off in game situation *emergencies* and playoffs. Other than that, these guys have to stand up for themselves and each other in less dramatic ways.

(The Bertuzzi/Lalime dust-up was very amusing and while lots of guys were throwing down gloves and doing some inappropriate touching ... no one had a brawl and no one got hurt.)

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:46 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
So you're saying Boller should start taking steroids and snorting coke so he can fight AND not feel the pain?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I'm hoping we become a team who is RESPECTED for our work ethic and skill. Fighting should be something that an honest and respectable team should only have to take out and dust-off in game situation *emergencies* and playoffs. Other than that, these guys have to stand up for themselves and each other in less dramatic ways.

(The Bertuzzi/Lalime dust-up was very amusing and while lots of guys were throwing down gloves and doing some inappropriate touching ... no one had a brawl and no one got hurt.)
Have you ever watched a playoff game?? There is little or no fighting in the playoffs, you fight to get into the playoffs. have a strawberry smoothie and watch a less violent sport like soccer. yuck. how do you stand up for yourself without fighting?? so if someone runs your goalie are you supposed to sit down and have a discussion with the other team and tell them how wrong that was? i can't stand people that put down fighting in hockey, we are a country of weak, politically correct douches anymore.

Old
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
So you're saying Boller should start taking steroids and snorting coke so he can fight AND not feel the pain?
Probert was never accused of taking steroids.

Old
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Lainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post

I would like to see Boll fight a little less... because OKT or a player we pick up this offseason starts lightening the load. Fighting is a part of hockey... especially for an effective agitator, like Boll. We don't want Boll to be like Avery or Tootoo, *******s that wimp out of fights. Boll should be agitating and willing to back it up by dropping the gloves.

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Bobcat110

While digging for Brad Richards info, I found this writer's comment:

Quote:
I was in Montreal over the weekend doing the Canadiens-Blue Jackets game (as an aside, if you haven't seen Jared Boll play, check him out some time. Total throwback hockey player. Not a superstar and will never be a 20-goal man, but it's tough to find a more honest player than Boll)
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/mare...e_deadlin.html

It also said:

Quote:
Tampa is looking at moving out Brad Richards with Columbus being the likely destination.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote