HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Prospal to Philly. Wonder what Thornton would go for.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipera1960 View Post
It would depend on whether or not Poile is able to make a "hockey" move (i.e. someone locked up long term, not a rental) at a reasonable price. If he isn't though, the Predators will probably try to get a depth guy for not very much and as a left wing, Thornton might be near the top of Poile's list.
Its so sad. We need to add scoring depth to bolster Legwand and Erat, who have looked terrible with whoever has been on that line, because we have been trying to turn Fiddler, Tootoo, Smithson, Ortmeyer, etc. into scorers.

We have a ton of third and fourth line players. Unfortunately, Poile wants to add another because he's afraid of making a move for a second liner. Oh well. I'm sure it will look good when we are sitting outside the playoff bubble...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Philly got off cheap in getting Prospal. Alex Picard and a conditional third? We couldn't beat that?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Philly got off cheap in getting Prospal. Alex Picard and a conditional third? We couldn't beat that?
Exactly what I was thinking. We have even more defensive depth then Philly and have some great picks next year, making a conditional third easy to lose.

The sad thing is, with so many good defensemen in this upcoming draft, I'm sure that we'll still take best player available...

Old
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Jarnberg

So anyone want to guess our big move for tomorrow?

Yanic? lol

Maybe we'll go all in and grab Fedotenko....

Old
02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So anyone want to guess our big move for tomorrow?

Yanic? lol

Maybe we'll go all in and grab Fedotenko....
I don't care

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 10:45 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I don't care
Well, we're going to do something since we only have 11 forwards on the roster. I suppose we might try Klein at forward or play 7d, but even then I think Poile would call someone up.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 12:34 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
So, Colorado....signed Forsberg.
I'm just glad it wasn't Philadelphia. I bet if he gets hurt again he will retire and signed there so he could retire an Av.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

12 hours. i have no clue what we'll do

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
lol, and trades will continue to come in after that 2pm deadline.

So the hot rumors going around tonight are that Tampa is sending Richards to Dallas for Mike Smith+, and that Montreal is going hot after Hossa. No one can tell if it's true or not and all those teams fans that had been rumored for those players are all frantically searching any and every site for some kind of confirmation. I think it's kind of funny. We know we (probably) won't take on any big names like that so to watch them panic/cheer is amusing.

I just want someone that will fit in with the team and help the second line.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:31 AM
KingFan5150

Havent seen it mentioned over here, but a lot of talk or should I say wishfull thinking on the Kings board of a Cammalleri for Suter deal. You get essentially a first line winger and we get the D we desperately need. Maybe Cammy and Thornton for Suter and a first? Would proably need the Kings to throw someone else in as well.

KingFan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Check around this thread that deal is brought up 100 times. Some like it. I don't. If we're trading Suter I want someone his age and his upside in return.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:55 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan5150 View Post
Havent seen it mentioned over here, but a lot of talk or should I say wishfull thinking on the Kings board of a Cammalleri for Suter deal. You get essentially a first line winger and we get the D we desperately need. Maybe Cammy and Thornton for Suter and a first? Would proably need the Kings to throw someone else in as well.

I would think that the Kings would have to throw in something else for Suter and a first.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 07:26 AM
RollingPredFan

I want to be excited for the deadline but it looks like we aren't going to make any major moves. We'll bring in some Ortmeyer type guy for a low pick probably the way Poile is talking.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I don't think we make a big splash today. Poile is gonna have a tough time getting that 2nd line scoring and 3rd line depth guy we need. It is going to be a struggle to make the playoffs with the guys we have now, and even if we do we won't make a deep run. I'd rather not mortgage the future for a short playoff run this year.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I agreed with nmk...we couldn't beat that deal for prospal? Was poile waiting for the lightning to call him?

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I agreed with nmk...we couldn't beat that deal for prospal? Was poile waiting for the lightning to call him?
Pete Weber just said that Nashville was among the teams bidding for Prospal. The Lightning chose Philly's offer.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
braindead

I think Prospal wasn't his guy. My guess is that he has a deal sitting on ice waiting for confirmation based on how other moves shake out. I doubt it is a blockbuster but here are my thoughts:

Most likely to be traded: Kevin Klein (followed by Laakso, Zanon, Suter, Zids).

Least likely but still possible to be traded: Legwand (the DUI opens up the door if there is a blockbuster trade-- Jokinen or much less likely Richards.

Most likely trading partners: Flyers, Panthers, Pens, Islanders, Avs, Hawks

My prediction: We see a familiar face coming back like Kevin Klein for Scottie Upshall (I can't believe I just typed that) or something like Laakso for Ville Peltonen.

Fallback prediction: Laakso+ for Rene Bourque

Blockbuster prediction: Legwand, Panthers 1st and Klein for Jokinen

Fallback blockbuster: Suter for Carter

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
I'd rather not mortgage the future for a short playoff run this year.
I don't understand why everyone throws out this term all the time. We are in a position where if we make a deal, we will not mortgage our future. We could easily afford to lose a young defensemen and a draft pick. We have a ton of young defensemen and have a lot of draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Its the same way people said we mortgaged our future last year. We didn't. We still have a bright future even with that trade.

I'm not saying we should go out and throw a 1st and a defensemen towards anything, but at the same time I think that we are in a position to where we can afford to take some risks.

You never know when you'll make the playoffs in this NHL. Not only do you have to deal with the increased parity, but also injuries and other factors. Hence why I still believe the Forsberg deal was a good deal. Just think what we would have been saying had we stood pat.

Again, I'm not saying that we are going to win the cup or that we should go out and get a top line rental forward. But I do think that Poile should get a depth scorer to play with Erat and Legwand. Now with injuries to Ortmeyer and Gelinas, we are stretched out even more. Adding a little bit of scoring could be just what we need to get us into the playoffs. Making the playoffs is important for our franchise. It helps our paid attendance, puts more money into the pockets of our owners, and builds for the future for our fan base. Not to mention, you never know what will happen in the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Jarnberg

So I wonder if David Poile is going to wait for players to personally contact him about a trade?

Old
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
predhead1

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone throws out this term all the time. We are in a position where if we make a deal, we will not mortgage our future. We could easily afford to lose a young defensemen and a draft pick. We have a ton of young defensemen and have a lot of draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Its the same way people said we mortgaged our future last year. We didn't. We still have a bright future even with that trade.

I'm not saying we should go out and throw a 1st and a defensemen towards anything, but at the same time I think that we are in a position to where we can afford to take some risks.

You never know when you'll make the playoffs in this NHL. Not only do you have to deal with the increased parity, but also injuries and other factors. Hence why I still believe the Forsberg deal was a good deal. Just think what we would have been saying had we stood pat.

Again, I'm not saying that we are going to win the cup or that we should go out and get a top line rental forward. But I do think that Poile should get a depth scorer to play with Erat and Legwand. Now with injuries to Ortmeyer and Gelinas, we are stretched out even more. Adding a little bit of scoring could be just what we need to get us into the playoffs. Making the playoffs is important for our franchise. It helps our paid attendance, puts more money into the pockets of our owners, and builds for the future for our fan base. Not to mention, you never know what will happen in the playoffs.
Agreed. Plus, with Sullivan's status still highly questionable, I don't think the acquisition of a top 6 forward is a short-term move, unless Poile opts for the true rental-UFA route. It's clear that we need to move some of our D, otherwise they are wasted assets. We simply cannot continue to carry 8 D on our roster while suffering from a lack of scoring depth up front. I'd rather see us part with significant assets now (Suter/Klein/Zidlicky and picks) to make a long-term acquisition of a top 6 forward, rather than cross our fingers and hope for the best for the rest of this season (and next).

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Jarnberg

Why do I have a feeling that our move is going to be getting Yanic back?

Ugh.

Old
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
JussiM

Ruutu to Carolina... I would've liked him in Preds.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
RollingPredFan

Yeah it's hard seeing all these moves and not sure what will be left for us LOL. I really like the Tampa/Dallas trade I think it helps both out.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
predfan24

EK has us looking at Jason Williams. Eh not the greatest pickup but I guess he's better than anybody else we can put on the 2nd line. But isnt he injured anyways?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote