HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On a positive note...

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 10:16 AM
ProfessorK

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorK
On a positive note...

...our minor league team, the Worcester IceCats, have a 2 games to none lead in their first round AHL playoff series with the Manchester Monarchs. They won last night, 3-2, in overtime, with Scott Pellerin getting the game-winner. Petr Sejna had one of the other goals for the 'Cats.

For more info, check out the 'Cats website at http://www.worcestericecats.com/

I think IB made a lot of good points in his post-mortem. I agree it's time for Curtis Sanford which means either Osgood or Divis is gone. I believe it's time to blow up the core of this team, although IB is right when he says Tkachuk will be hard to move and Weight at least showed effort in the playoffs. It would be great if Mike Glumac, John Pohl, Trevor Byrne, and Jamie Pollock could be full time contributors next year, but that remains to be seen. Who else do you guys think has a chance to make the big club next year?

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to comment...

The Professor

Old
04-18-2004, 10:35 AM

Sanford isn't ready to be an every day NHL goaltender yet. He could be an effective back-up next season.

Pollock is headed to Europe. The only chance he stays in the US is with a one-way deal I think, and I doubt he'll get one of those (not based on his talent, based on the business of the NHL).

Glumac needs to be signed first.

Byrne is not ready yet. He'll be along soon enough, but next season is still too early. Think 05-06.

Pohl probably needs a huge camp next season to make it to the NHL, but I wouldn't count him out in doing that.

Old
04-18-2004, 12:40 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
What is sejna's Outlook. Do you think he should start in wor next season? Also have you heard anything about possibly of seeing any of barulin, nissinnen, belle, shkotov, or zakharov, in wor next season. A little injection of skill/talent depth at the ahl would be nice. And the sooner we get barulin some games in over here the better, I think.

And as much as a like Divis, I think he may be moved to give sanford that backup role. Which would allow us the room to try one of our euro goalies.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:04 PM

I think Sejna will be in StL next season. I haven't heard anything about the other guys, but my focus lately has been on the Peoria/Chicago "situation" so I'm a little behind in my reading.

Divis is a UFA so he may be out anyway.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I think Sejna will be in StL next season. I haven't heard anything about the other guys, but my focus lately has been on the Peoria/Chicago "situation" so I'm a little behind in my reading.

Divis is a UFA so he may be out anyway.
What "situation" are you referring to, 210? Inquiring minds want to know...

Shkotov is 20, and so is Tomas Troliga, so both are eligible for AHL duty next year. Both would be overage players in the CHL, so it's likely the Blues might want to get them into the pro ranks sooner rather than later.

Also, the Blues will need to sign Justin Maiser this off-season, or lose him to the Van Ryn Rule. Maiser jumped to the junior ranks after two years at Boston University, so as of this year he's a junior player unsigned by the team that drafted him two years after the draft. That's how the Blues got Van Ryn as a free agent, and they risk losing Maiser in the same way if they don't sign him.

Personally, I think signing Maiser would be a fine idea. In fact, I think playing all three of those kids -- Maiser, Troliga and Shkotov -- on a line would be a dynamite idea. It gives Worcester a solid "Kid Line," one that's an offensive threat, and Maiser and Troliga both have the size and attitude to keep the opposition from taking too many liberties with the small, speedy and talented Shkotov.

There was an article in the "Game Night Revue" about this very subject during Game Three of the Blues-Sharks playoff series, for those of you locals who know about the GNR...

PrussianBlue

Old
04-18-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
What "situation" are you referring to, 210? Inquiring minds want to know...
Peoria is about to make the jump to the AHL and is in negotiations to be the Blackhawks affiliate. Chicago has given Norfolk (their current affiliate) until Tuesday to get their situation under control or they are leaving.

Should Norfolk get their sale done and the city to make some consessions by the deadline then Chicago is commited to helping Peoria gain an AHL/NHL affiliation (the Flames are reported to be interested too).

The Blues/IceCats are in negotiations with another ECHL team to become their "AA" affiliate.

Old
04-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
210...You mentioned Pollock is likely headed to Europe. Give us an overview of his game and what you think his potential is.

04-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
Also, the Blues will need to sign Justin Maiser this off-season, or lose him to the Van Ryn Rule. Maiser jumped to the junior ranks after two years at Boston University, so as of this year he's a junior player unsigned by the team that drafted him two years after the draft. That's how the Blues got Van Ryn as a free agent, and they risk losing Maiser in the same way if they don't sign him.
Do you think the Blues should waiste anything on Maiser? He hasn't stood out this last season and they did just steal one of the Shark's prospects in Jon Disalvador.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Do you think the Blues should waiste anything on Maiser? He hasn't stood out this last season and they did just steal one of the Shark's prospects in Jon Disalvador.

Yes , because he is basically the best prospect we have at left wing right now other than maybe sejna. And who knows how he will do after juniors.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Buannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Yes , because he is basically the best prospect we have at left wing right now other than maybe sejna. And who knows how he will do after juniors.

wow..that's sad...didn't realize the blues were so hard up for wingers

actually....I saw maiser improve greatly in the last half of the season...once he dropped the college attitude and was humbled a few times...but he's far from impressive in my opinion

but who knows, a few years in the minors and he might get it together

Old
04-20-2004, 01:26 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buannan
wow..that's sad...didn't realize the blues were so hard up for wingers

actually....I saw maiser improve greatly in the last half of the season...once he dropped the college attitude and was humbled a few times...but he's far from impressive in my opinion

but who knows, a few years in the minors and he might get it together
Actually the Blues aren't hard up for wingers, we just need them to develope to the point where they could be viable NHL'ers. We are stacked on the right wing with Backes, Hemmingway, and Skohtov. On the left side we still have Sejna and Zakharov(who switched over from center this year), both of which have incredible offensive upside. We could use another good LW prospect but that will likely be addressed by Jarmo at this upcoming draft. Maiser won't be expected to be much more than a third/fourth line type guy and that appears to be the way he's headed.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
210...You mentioned Pollock is likely headed to Europe. Give us an overview of his game and what you think his potential is.
IMO his potential is as an NHL #5 or #6...he rates that high simply because of his booming slap shot. Teamed with a decent puck handling forward on the power play he is very dangerous.

His skating needs work, but the kid gives you 100% every shift on both ends of the ice...that more often then not often makes up for his lack of speed.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:47 PM
c-carp

How did Brett Scheffelmaier play this year.

Old
04-23-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
How did Brett Scheffelmaier play this year.
Injured most of the year...looked rusty when he did play (mostly because he was, well, rusty).

I still think he has a future with the Blues.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:06 PM
barnburner

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sejna works out next season. Even tho he was overmatched physically at the NHL level before going down to Worcester, you can see that he has a goal scorer's instincts. Hopefully, he will be ready the next time and be able to put those offensive talents to good use with the Blues.

Closed Thread