HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clearance sale in Philadelphia.

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
budclay

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Kaktus;12718207]Got to love Pens fans...

Did nothing but suck for about 5 years could not complete & benefit from a single trade(Kovalev, Straka, Jagr etc etc you name it). Can not draft anyone outside of top 5 pick. Esposito? lol Will see how he turns out.

P.S like I said in one of previous posts Flyers do have some defensive problems.[/QUOTE]

I also heard that Ted Bundy had "some mental problems."

Old
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by budclay View Post
Again, blah, blah, blah.

Like most Flyer fans who were busy planning the Stanley Cup parade 3 weeks ago, reality has hit fast and furious. Danny B is a one-dimesional, small, and soft pretend number one center who is being paid like a number one center on a BAD, BAD, BAD contract. Richards has had to play with the same players as Briere and has been better OFFENSIVELY, DEFENSIVELY, and everything in between.

If you ask a zillion people, they will all tell you that Spezza >>> Briere and IS a legit number one center, except in your fantasy world where you thought the Flyers were going from the outhouse to the penthouse within a year.

And yes, the Flyers like the Leafs have some of the most rotten contracts in the NHL, re: Briere, Timonen, Hatcher, Rathje (lucky for you guys he got injured) and Hartnell. And if you had any reading comprehension, you would've noticed that my Leaf-Flyer comparison was based on BAD CON-TRACTS, not anything else.

You need to get more than a clue...

Enjoy the golf... enjoy the bad contracts... and just enjoy!
respectfully, i don't think that timonen's contract is awful. that's about what i'd expect him to be making, and he'd probably get more if he had hit UFA.

Old
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
respectfully, i don't think that timonen's contract is awful. that's about what i'd expect him to be making, and he'd probably get more if he had hit UFA.
Rathje had his career ended by injuries, and was our best defenseman in 2005 (with Pitkanen, his partner). Timonen is our best defenseman now. Hatcher is banged up, but has been top 4 for us the last two seasons. Hartnell has been good. Why are these contracts so awful? Other than Briere, I am OK-to-ecstatic with all of those signings.

Old
02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I wouldn't count Philly out. It must be frustrating as all hell for the fans and the team, but they're still a good enough team that they could make the playoffs this season and even do some damage. If I'm Holmgren, I'd either buy or stay put, unless I get to shed a problem or redundant rental-player (don't really know of any on Philly) for some great trade deadline package. Basically, I see the Flyers in a similar position as Montreal's last year.

Old
02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Again, blah, blah, blah.

Like most Flyer fans who were busy planning the Stanley Cup parade 3 weeks ago, reality has hit fast and furious. Danny B is a one-dimesional, small, and soft pretend number one center who is being paid like a number one center on a BAD, BAD, BAD contract. Richards has had to play with the same players as Briere and has been better OFFENSIVELY, DEFENSIVELY, and everything in between.

If you ask a zillion people, they will all tell you that Spezza >>> Briere and IS a legit number one center, except in your fantasy world where you thought the Flyers were going from the outhouse to the penthouse within a year.

And yes, the Flyers like the Leafs have some of the most rotten contracts in the NHL, re: Briere, Timonen, Hatcher, Rathje (lucky for you guys he got injured) and Hartnell. And if you had any reading comprehension, you would've noticed that my Leaf-Flyer comparison was based on BAD CON-TRACTS, not anything else.

You need to get more than a clue...

Enjoy the golf... enjoy the bad contracts... and just enjoy!
I agree with some of the comments, but you're reaching and showing that you're at least somewhat clueless int he process. By no means are the contracts given to Timonen, Hatcher, or Hartnell "bad" contracts. Hatcher has been excellent for the Flyers this year when he's healthy and well worth 3.5 mil. Timonen is a top 15 NHL defenseman who has been a stabling force on this team, a HUGE part of turning a dreadful PP into a top 3 PP, and 6 mil is the going rate for those players. Hartnell is the guy that's being paid based on production and upside. He was a 25 year old UFA and as such, you have to pay more since you're getting him for his entire prime. There are a lot of teams that would pay 4 mil for a gritty, two-way, 25 goal, 50 point winger. I'm quite certain he would've gotten more had he reached the UFA market, probably more years as well.

I pretty much agree on Briere though. He is small, he is one-dementional, and he isn't an elite #1 center. That isn't to say that he's not a very good player and very capable of being well over a ppg player in Philadelphia. There are a lot of reasons that things haven't worked out as well as they could've with Briere, but I don't really regret the signing. Based on contracts given to other comparable players (Drury and Gomez both got over 7 years), 6.5 mil was a relative bargin and at worst the going rate for top line players. The truly elite players will make 1.5-2 mil more then Briere so I don't really see where the problem is. Furthermore, based on the structure of the contract, it's basically a 6 year deal that will be bought out for a minimal cap hit.

I do enjoy golf, that's for noting that. I'm quite sure that every team in the league has players who play golf over the summer.

Old
02-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Zillion? What are you 12 years old? You still haven't answer a simple question. Did Spezza play well when both Heatley and Alfie were injured?

Quote:
Timonen contract is fine. Check out new Boyles new contract.

Hartnell contract is also fine for a power forward who had a slow start with a new team. If Penner can make 4.25 and Tucker can make 3, Shanny makes 5 so how is Hartnell overpaid?

Rathje will retire and does not count against the cap

Hatcher will be in the last year of his contract next year.

Briere was a PPG player until injuries and for 6.5M a year not a bad deal.

*** are you talking about? I do not think you have a clue.

Old
02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I guess there's no clearance sale.

Old
02-26-2008, 08:47 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I guess there's no clearance sale.
i think it's more of a flea market.

Old
02-26-2008, 09:15 AM
budclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Zillion? What are you 12 years old? You still haven't answer a simple question. Did Spezza play well when both Heatley and Alfie were injured?

Hartnell contract is also fine for a power forward who had a slow start with a new team. If Penner can make 4.25 and Tucker can make 3, Shanny makes 5 so how is Hartnell overpaid?

You are absolutely right. My mistake. The Flyers rock. Their contracts rock, and that's that. Kudos to Clarke, err, Holmgren for the great moves.

And it's cool how you can compare other team's bad contracts to justify the ones by the Flyers. It reinforces your point that Homer isn't the only bad GM. Good job!

As for Rathje, again, REA-DING COM-PRE-HENSION

BTW, simple question: based on age, salary, and performance, who is better, Spezza or Briere? Who would 32 teams in the NHL rather have? And why was Richards still putting up points despite playing with the same supposed "stiffs" that Briere played with?

Old
02-26-2008, 09:20 AM
budclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

You are absolutely right. My mistake. The Flyers rock. Their contracts rock, and that's that. Kudos to Clarke, err, Holmgren for the great moves.

And it's cool how you can compare other team's bad contracts to justify the ones by the Flyers. It reinforces your point that Homer isn't the only bad GM. Good job!

As for Rathje, again, REA-DING COM-PRE-HENSION... I said the Flyers were lucky he got injured, as that was yet another rotten contract that they got off the books.

BTW, simple question: based on age, salary, and performance, who is better, Spezza or Briere? Who would 32 teams in the NHL rather have? And why was Richards still putting up points despite playing with the same supposed "stiffs" that Briere played with? You can't compare losing Alf and Heater to any of the guys the Flyers have lost. The Sens are a top heavy team in terms of skilled wingers, while the Flyers have more overall depth. Would Spezza have more points on the Flyers playing with the linemates Briere has?

Get back to me, chief...

Old
02-26-2008, 10:04 AM
budclay

Based on age, salary, and performance, who is better, Spezza or Briere? Who would 32 teams in the NHL rather have? And why was Richards still putting up points despite playing with the same supposed "stiffs" that Briere played with? You can't compare losing Alf and Heater to any of the guys the Flyers have lost. The Sens are a top heavy team in terms of skilled wingers, while the Flyers have more overall depth. Would Spezza have more points on the Flyers playing with the linemates Briere has?

REA-DING COM-PRE-HENSION.

Get back to me, chief...

Old
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

As for Rathje, again, REA-DING COM-PRE-HENSION... I said the Flyers were lucky he got injured, as that was yet another rotten contract that they got off the books.

BTW, simple question: based on age, salary, and performance, who is better, Spezza or Briere? Who would 32 teams in the NHL rather have? And why was Richards still putting up points despite playing with the same supposed "stiffs" that Briere played with? You can't compare losing Alf and Heater to any of the guys the Flyers have lost. The Sens are a top heavy team in terms of skilled wingers, while the Flyers have more overall depth. Would Spezza have more points on the Flyers playing with the linemates Briere has?

Get back to me, chief...
:shrug:

Briere was putting up the points with the stiffs. Briere has 23 even strength points. Richards has 30.

The difference is that Richards plays on the PP AND on the PK. So he is always in the flow of the game. Whereas, Briere could sit on the bench for long stretches.

I would still want Spezza just based on his size and age. Skillwise they are pretty equal. It's just Briere's size that does him in.

But Briere has helped turn the Flyers PP around, and their PP really carried them for a long stretch in January.

Old
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Closed.

Closed Thread