HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The season after the deadline

Old
02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
jetbluejackets

vCash: 500
The season after the deadline

Good riddens to Foote and Feds

Foote- no offensive contributions, dumb penalties, whining.....I can live without

Feds- Z had matured, good riddens

10 mil more to play with

And to any of you who think we are worse off without these two, you're on drugs....we still have as good of a chance to make the playoffs as we did at noon today, we got ASSETS for the future, and we save about 25% of our salary commitments...

Now we just gotta hope the AVS make the playoffs this year!

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Do we really think ownership will spend that money saved? no.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I think Howson will spend this summer, if not then I'll be very disappointed. If the Avs do make the playoffs two first round picks in a decent draft pool will give us a chance to trade up for the first.

We will play decent the rest of the year but without a center for nash our weak offense will prevent any hope of winning 13 games out of 18.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
there is nobody worth anything to spend it on. I'm getting ready for a couple more playoffless years

brianhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Do we really think ownership will spend that money saved? no.
I bet they lower the beer prices...........................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
I guess I'm on drugs, I'm appaled by these trades. The return was atrocious. We need experienced players, and we just gave up two of our leaders, and our best center. Howsen better get us something in the off season, or otherwise, we're going to be relying more on pazzie, which is unfair to him.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
there is nobody worth anything to spend it on. I'm getting ready for a couple more playoffless years
This is my fear. Sitting on it for a little while to see if I think it's really a rational concern or simply fear. The UFA market doesn't look so hot, so that's my concern. We do have better assets to facilitate a trade (i.e., high picks instead of over-the-hill-over-priced-players), and that's a whole different game. But who's in the trade pool? Won't know until July.

The big problem for me is a bit of a practical one. I have this season ticket renewal package sitting on the kitchen counter. I hoped to see some evidence today to give me a strong feeling about that package. Right now, I'm not feeling too good about it.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
Three years from now.......................

Ladies & Gentlemen, introducing your Kansas City BlueJackets!!!

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

i wonder how that playoff package/season ticket renewal thing is going? i'm 50/50 on the trades i like what we received from the foote trade, but not happy with the return on the feds trade. i'm also not happy with not moving vybes or tolley. or bringing in someone to help out with the rest of the season. now that shows me and probably everyone else that this season is over. we cannot score enough to win that many games to get in. and now foote minutes have to be accounted for. nationwide will be empty and season ticket renewals will be a lot lower heading into next year.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post

That's what I'm most worried about. How long until we're posting rumors about whether or not we're going to have a team?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

blue jackets move to kansas city or las vegas and then get the nba team to come in and take over nationwide?

Old
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
blue jackets move to kansas city or las vegas and then get the nba team to come in and take over nationwide?

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

What are we going to miss about Foote and Fedorov considering that had less than 20 games left on this team anyways?

Maybe our chance at making the playoffs has gone from 10% to 8%...big deal, we got something rather than riding out the season and getting nothing. We are 5 points out and most teams near us in the standings have a game in hand on us. If a game in hand is worth an estimated 1 point, then we're 6 points out with 17 to go. If every win gets you 1 point closer in the standings, then we need to win the next 6 to get back on the bubble, then play at least .500 in the last 11 to get in.

So we need to go at least 12-5(putting us at 91 points) to have any chance. The odds are seriously against it, and I doubt Foote and Fedorov would have made a difference. When the Richards deal fell through, or rather when Dallas offered something we couldn't(a top goalie), Howson turned into a seller and I'm fine with that.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

i'm looking at the standings and i can't believe that howson didn't make a move for some scoring help to get into the playoffs.we are a little to close to not make atleast one move for some scoring help. the standings are getting closer bunched, and the teams have almost played the same amount of games and we have a lot of four point games coming up and can make a move on a few teams, but now it seems that we are playing for a draft spot and i'm a little mad about that.

Old
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:

I would not be surprised.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
What are we going to miss about Foote and Fedorov considering that had less than 20 games left on this team anyways?

Maybe our chance at making the playoffs has gone from 10% to 8%...big deal, we got something rather than riding out the season and getting nothing. We are 5 points out and most teams near us in the standings have a game in hand on us. If a game in hand is worth an estimated 1 point, then we're 6 points out with 17 to go. If every win gets you 1 point closer in the standings, then we need to win the next 6 to get back on the bubble, then play at least .500 in the last 11 to get in.

So we need to go at least 12-5(putting us at 91 points) to have any chance. The odds are seriously against it, and I doubt Foote and Fedorov would have made a difference. When the Richards deal fell through, or rather when Dallas offered something we couldn't(a top goalie), Howson turned into a seller and I'm fine with that.
i agree, i'm just not ready to throw in the towel like what the perception is today with no help bringing in someone to score some goals. yes we are five points out but with a team that hasn't made the playoffs yet and to still be in it, i would think its time to go for it and show us fans that we are still fighting for it.

Old
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
General Jacket70

The team actually got better, in the long term.
Gives more youngsters a chance to play and get quality minutes.
Also puts more of a leadership onus on the veterans that remain (Peca, Vyborny, Modin). Peca likely will wear the C for the remainder of the year (I would hope, anyway).

After Richards was out of the mix, Howson had to unload GMDM's quality players (but bad deals) while keeping an eye on the future. I think he got what he could for two ageing veterans who, although likely great in the locker room, didn't heavily produce on the ice and didn't have the fan appeal to draw casual fans into Nationwide anymore.

I true Howson and Hitch to turn this team into a winner. Will it happen this year, probably not, but I think the Blue Jackets got stronger today.

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
i agree, i'm just not ready to throw in the towel like what the perception is today with no help bringing in someone to score some goals. yes we are five points out but with a team that hasn't made the playoffs yet and to still be in it, i would think its time to go for it and show us fans that we are still fighting for it.
I was really excited about the Richards talks, but in the end I knew someone would offer up something we couldn't match, and Dallas did just that. It would have taken Leclaire to trump their hand after they threw Smith on the table and I can't say I'd have been happy about losing Pascal.

I'm pulling for the boys, same as always and if anyone can pull off a 12-5 run, its Hitch, but the realist in me is relieved that we got stronger in the future tense in exchange for a couple mediocre players we were going to lose in 17 games anways.

If Foote was worth 3-4 million after this season, we wouldn't have skidded from 8th to 11th in the standings since the ASG. He, and Fedorov, and the whole team, had a chance to show Scott this was the year, and they didn't.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I bet they lower the beer prices...........................
Yay!

I too wonder about the effect of these trades on the MINDSET of the team.
Could be a relief, and we start seeing some secondary scoring.
Could also be awful.

I will have to say that the Jackets have usually FINISHED STRONG in past years when they were out of it. They do have some pride.

Let's also remember that these teams that have just BOUGHT some big name players won't necessarily be able to SIGN THEM in the off season.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
YUCK! That's what worries me too. If that happens I'm going to hang myself from the NWA rafters.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post
YUCK! That's what worries me too. If that happens I'm going to hang myself from the NWA rafters.
Dont worry - ownership will never let it happen

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Let's also remember that these teams that have just BOUGHT some big name players won't necessarily be able to SIGN THEM in the off season.
Good point. There's already talk that Campbell might not sign with the Sharks although they are going to make an attempt.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
But it's not the thing they aquired them in the first place. They made deals to help them in this year playoffs. If UFA signs for next season(s), it's a bonus, but example Sharks can easily work a deal with a similar UFA before the next season as they are a good team to play for. Also helps for resigning the current UFA's.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
213 Sentinel

I'm done worrying about the mindset of the team. The organization needs to worry about the mindset of PSL holders.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Bluebengal

all i know is this off-season better be somethin special or they're not getting another dime from me

Bluebengal is offline   Reply With Quote