HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
  #176
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,878
vCash: 500
gasp, our biggest deadline deal since Oleg Petrov!

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
  #177
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
http://www2.rds.ca/hockey/transactions2008/

it is a little slow at loading, but it seems to be the first on the scene! Quicker to update trades than Eklund...
Eklunds source perhaps?

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:35 PM
  #178
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
gasp, our biggest deadline deal since Oleg Petrov!
hahaha...that was exactly the deal that game to mind. Look out, because here comes the big playoff push!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
  #179
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
is this guy brought in to be in our lineup? See jason willaims looks good now doesnt he

Don't know much about him but looking at his stats he seems to be a decent bottom six forward. Is this our rplacement for Gelinas?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
  #180
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Hopefully we enjoy the two defensemen that we draft in the first round this year to add to our crop...

Not that I advocate throwing away a first rounder...

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
  #181
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,878
vCash: 500
His stats make him look like a bigger Vernon Fiddler with less assists.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
  #182
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
hahaha...that was exactly the deal that game to mind. Look out, because here comes the big playoff push!
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
  #183
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Hopefully we enjoy the two defensemen that we draft in the first round this year to add to our crop...

Not that I advocate throwing away a first rounder...
seriosly I cant beleive we coulnt get anythign for Klein

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
  #184
Idealsupra*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
If the Hlavac is true have fun with him. He should have about 30 goals right now from all the awesome setups from Richards this year. He will make you pull your hair out.

I find it funny though that Feaster could only get a 7th round pick for him when people like Kilger were getting 3rd round picks.

Idealsupra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
  #185
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
The only thing I like about getting Hlavac is that now the team gets a new whipping boy instead of Zidlicky...

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
  #186
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Hlavac is a depth forward who is exactly the type of player I honestly expected us to acquire. Had some good years in New York, but is no more than a good 3rd/4th liner.

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov
Bonk - Legwand - Erat
Hlavac - Nichol - Tootoo
Hordichuk - Smithson - Fiddler

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
  #187
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplitersniper View Post
If the Hlavac is true have fun with him. He should have about 30 goals right now from all the awesome setups from Richards this year. He will make you pull your hair out.

I find it funny though that Feaster could only get a 7th round pick for him when people like Kilger were getting 3rd round picks.
TSN just confirmed the deal. Honestly, there will not be much pressure on him to do much more than work hard and fit in. We will be looking for him in more of a defensive two-way role instead of a scoring role and he should probably thrive there IMO.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
  #188
NickHanson
Registered User
 
NickHanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Port, FL
Country: Ajman
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Hey Nashville fans, Tampa fan here.

Be prepared to pull your hair out over numerous missed chances by Hlavac. Enjoy him.. lol.

NickHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
  #189
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
There are times that I wish Nashville had the media savvy, and relentless pressure, of a Toronto. Unfortunately, this is the only sentence you'll ever see that contains both the phrase "media savvy" and the Tennessean.

With the exception of the Marian Hossa trade, this year was a buyer's market. We have large needs for this year and for the future and had a large amount of ammunition to begin the process of filling those needs.

Given some of Poile's comments in the past like Dumont's agent initiating contact with Nashville, Arnott pressuring Poile to re-sign Dumont, Kariya investigating Nashville moreso than Nashville investigating Kariya, etc.- it really begs the question of how much initiative David has to pursue a deal and make the team better.

I would like David Poile to answer the following questions:

1. David, the trades executed today appeared to favor a buyer's market overall. Given the needs of the Predators and the ammunition available to make a trade (particularly on defense), what were the top 10 targets for you and what prevented each of those deals from taking place?

2. For any of the following players that apply, ask the following question: Why was [Mike Cammalleri, Phil Kessel, Alex Tanguay] not included in the list of players you were pursuing?

3. Do you believe that the logjam the Predators have on the blueline is healthy for the players or the team?

4. What players from the farm do you expect to have significant roles for the Predators for the remaining part of this season?

5. Besides signing the RFA's and UFA's that fit into your plans for the team going forward, what pieces will you be looking at in the offseason?


Thanks.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
  #190
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Poile, you suck. Man has no clue how to peddle assets into something that works for us.

Becuase he got burned with Witt and Forseberg, I think it will be many years before he ever tries any kind of big move (not that those moves took ANY creativity). This is what happened after he got burned with the Jason Allison trade in washington. It was years before he attempted anything again.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
  #191
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Hlavac is a depth forward who is exactly the type of player I honestly expected us to acquire. Had some good years in New York, but is no more than a good 3rd/4th liner.

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov
Bonk - Legwand - Erat
Hlavac - Nichol - Tootoo
Hordichuk - Smithson - Fiddler
Question.

The Bonk-Legwand-Erat line has had ample opportunity to gel and produce. Is it time to replace Bonk with one of these: Tootoo, Klein, or another player from the farm?

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
  #192
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
There are times that I wish Nashville had the media savvy, and relentless pressure, of a Toronto. Unfortunately, this is the only sentence you'll ever see that contains both the phrase "media savvy" and the Tennessean.

With the exception of the Marian Hossa trade, this year was a buyer's market. We have large needs for this year and for the future and had a large amount of ammunition to begin the process of filling those needs.

Given some of Poile's comments in the past like Dumont's agent initiating contact with Nashville, Arnott pressuring Poile to re-sign Dumont, Kariya investigating Nashville moreso than Nashville investigating Kariya, etc.- it really begs the question of how much initiative David has to pursue a deal and make the team better.

I would like David Poile to answer the following questions:

1. David, the trades executed today appeared to favor a buyer's market overall. Given the needs of the Predators and the ammunition available to make a trade (particularly on defense), what were the top 10 targets for you and what prevented each of those deals from taking place?

2. For any of the following players that apply, ask the following question: Why was Mike Cammalleri, Phil Kessel, Alex Tanguay not included in the list of players you were pursuing?

3. Do you believe that the logjam the Predators have on the blueline is healthy for the players or the team?

4. What players from the farm do you expect to have significant roles for the Predators for the remaining part of this season?

5. Besides signing the RFA's and UFA's that fit into your plans for the team going forward, what pieces will you be looking at in the offseason?


Thanks.
Sutter came out emphatically last week and said Tanguay would not be moved ... how has rentals for RFA's worked in the past for us? ... lots of talent with a two cent head

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
  #193
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Question.

The Bonk-Legwand-Erat line has had ample opportunity to gel and produce. Is it time to replace Bonk with one of these: Tootoo, Klein, or another player from the farm?
Without picking up anybody who even resembles a top 6 forward today I say we are screwed woth the second line the rest of this year. We have all seen it. It doesnt work. we are obviously banking on the startegy that got us here. Let the first line do all the work and hope one of fiddler, Nichol, tootoo comes through with a goal or two every game. Not the greatest startegy IMo

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
  #194
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Becuase he got burned with Witt and Forseberg, I think it will be many years before he ever tries any kind of big move (not that those moves took ANY creativity). This is what happened after he got burned with the Jason Allison trade in washington. It was years before he attempted anything again.
I agree. I think the past deadline deals really made Poile afraid to take any sort of risk, even if we do not make the playoffs.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
  #195
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Sutter came out emphatically last week and said Tanguay would not be moved ... how has rentals for RFA's worked in the past for us? ... lots of talent with a two cent head
True, but GMs say a lot of things.

Truthfully, the point of the question was to get him talking about the players that have been speculated to be on the move and would fit into our top six. Tanguay fits that bill even though I don't think Calgary and Nashville make for good trade partners- I wanted to hear Poile say he considered Tanguay and either inquired or the reasoning as to why he didn't inquire.

Those three I mentioned were just the players that jumped first into my mind. You could plug in others.

Thanks.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
  #196
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,728
vCash: 500
what a pathetic trading day for the Predators. We can talk about Poile and Trotz all that we want, they are master of marginal success, but they've never done anything meaningful.

I'd rather that we give Pihlstrom or O'Reilly a chance in the NHL before Hlavac. If there's a such thing as a 2nd round bust, it's Jan Hlavac. This dude was talked up big time in New York and has turned out to be extremely average. He has very good 4th line stats, not enough for the 3rd line IMO. A poor trade other than the fact that the odds of that 7th pick ever becoming anything are so slim.

drsingle hit the nail on the head. With the low price on so many of the trades today, why did the Predators do NOTHING to address our needs? When Jason Arnott is in the paper saying we need to add some players, how is Jan Hlavac the answer that Poile comes up with?

I was still optimistic about the playoffs this morning, because I knew the Predators were going to trade for Perreault, Williams, Fedotenko, Satan, Carter, Knuble... somebody. Now that the dust has settled and the only item in our shopping cart is Jan Hlavac, i'm extremely pessimistic about our chances.

I'm going to predict 9-9 over the final 18, 90 points and 8th place. The only good thing about that is how it sets up a meeting with Detroit which would actually generate some buzz around Nashville.

We better not draft a defenseman this year!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
  #197
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Question.

The Bonk-Legwand-Erat line has had ample opportunity to gel and produce. Is it time to replace Bonk with one of these: Tootoo, Klein, or another player from the farm?
Personally, I honestly would probably try Hlavac on the second line with Leggy and Erat to see if he would have chemistry with them and then if that doesn't work I would shift Tootoo there or even Peverley.

Handtrick and I watched Klein in practice this morning and he is clearly not ready for game competition right now at forward. As a matter of fact, he was playing back on defense during the special teams portion of practice as a PK'er against the second PP unit. Kevin looks very tentative with the puck and is clearly trying to think things through and look for his teammates instead of instinctively knowing where they should be or what he should be doing. He pulls up crossing the blueline and slows down looking to make a pass rather than trying to use his speed and skating ability to drive wide or go hard to the net. With him playing on a line with Smithson and Hordichuk he needs to realize that he must cross the blueline and immediately either drive the puck deep to create room for a linemate to get open or he needs to put the puck on net and allow his grinding linemates to crash the net for the rebounds.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
  #198
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

We better not draft a defenseman this year!
Don't look at the ratings for the skaters this year and where we might end up in the standings this year...

We'll probably get two of them...

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
  #199
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Stats this year:

Fiddler - 61 GP - 9 G - 18 A - 27 PTS
Hlavac - 62 GP - 9 G - 13 A - 22 PTS

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
  #200
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,031
vCash: 500
He replaces Gelinas, that's about it and what most of us expected....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.