HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Personally, I honestly would probably try Hlavac on the second line with Leggy and Erat to see if he would have chemistry with them and then if that doesn't work I would shift Tootoo there or even Peverley.

Handtrick and I watched Klein in practice this morning and he is clearly not ready for game competition right now at forward. As a matter of fact, he was playing back on defense during the special teams portion of practice as a PK'er against the second PP unit. Kevin looks very tentative with the puck and is clearly trying to think things through and look for his teammates instead of instinctively knowing where they should be or what he should be doing. He pulls up crossing the blueline and slows down looking to make a pass rather than trying to use his speed and skating ability to drive wide or go hard to the net. With him playing on a line with Smithson and Hordichuk he needs to realize that he must cross the blueline and immediately either drive the puck deep to create room for a linemate to get open or he needs to put the puck on net and allow his grinding linemates to crash the net for the rebounds.
Thanks. That's not suprising since he hasn't had too much time to play forward.

Quick question, has Radulov been practicing or is he still out with the flu?

Thanks.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Legionnaire11

Willy on 104.5 said the Predators have made "A couple of deals"

so there should be more to come once the paperwork is done.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
RollingPredFan

Yippee?

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Willy on 104.5 said the Predators have made "A couple of deals"

so there should be more to come once the paperwork is done.
Brandon Bochenski for Future Considerations

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 02-26-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'm rather content if this is all we do. This team's goaltending isn't solid enough to make a push deep into the playoffs, in my opinion. So adding a few key players would amount to a whole lot of nothing. It'd be nice to land a Hossa type, but I honestly don't see a pickup like that pushing us a round deeper into the playoffs. And if the pickup doesn't have the ability to do it, then I don't want us wasting our efforts.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Brandon Bochenski for Future Considerations
Ugh...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
RollingPredFan

LOL well we got Gelinas and Ortmeyer back I guess lol

Yippee

Old
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Legionnaire11

great! we needed a guy without much size, who doesn't score goals and can't stick on anyone's roster!

Trotz will have him on the first line at some point...

Old
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

So everybody else in the West got better and we add another nobody.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
good lord what a disappointing deadline day

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Legionnaire11

if we weren't going to add talent, we could have at least added size.

oh well. Poile is coming up on 104.5 at 4:05... I doubt we'll get good explanation (especially being questioned by those guys). I guess it's just hold on for dear life down the stretch and be happy if we can hold on to 8th

Old
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
If we're going to have another 1st round and out, I'd rather miss the playoffs and get a better draft pick.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I actually like Bochenski, and hoped we'd pick him up on waivers. We gave up nothing to get him. I know we're disappointed that we didn't land a bigger fish, but outside Hossa and Richards(way too expensive) and Prospal...who else really ended up traded that we would have hoped for?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Bottom line: we did nothing.
Not even sure how the roster gets balanced unless we have Gelinas and Ortmeyer on Injured reserve. Gut check for the team in that 'it is what it is.' Can they go out now and get some points on the road? Will the goaltending hold? Only time will tell...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile said on the radio most likely Gelinas and Ortmeyer are done for the season so I'd guess IR is a safe bet.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Quick question, has Radulov been practicing or is he still out with the flu?
Yes, Radulov returned to practice yesterday and to his normal spot on Arnott's wing.

The lines at practice this morning were:
Dumont - Arnott - Radulov
Bonk - Legwand - Erat
Fiddler - Nichol - Tootoo
Hordichuk - Smithson - Klein

Hamhuis - DeVries
Weber - Suter
Zidlicky - Koistinen
Zanon - Klein

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
TSN just confirmed the deal. Honestly, there will not be much pressure on him to do much more than work hard and fit in. We will be looking for him in more of a defensive two-way role instead of a scoring role and he should probably thrive there IMO.
A lot of things get said on deadline day, but that's one of the funnier things I've read today

The Bochenski pick-up was good though. No risk in giving up 'futures' (which usually amount to basically nothing), and Bochenski has shown a lot of potential in the USHL, NCAA, AHL, and his stint with Boston last year.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Seth Lake

Not disappointed at all in what Poile did, or didn't do today...

As a matter of fact I was a bit concerned that he would try to make a big impact deal and overpay due to the fact that we had nothing of note to really offer. I know everyone is going to be looking at the Prospal deal and crying "why didn't we get him?" However, it has been mentioned on the NP.com boards several times by several sources that David was active on that and said he just missed out.

Of the big names that got moved, I wanted NO PART of any of them. We cannot afford a major contract at this point in our franchise history and honestly I believe that the first $6 million+ deal will come to one of our homegrown players coming of age (Weber or Radulov). Additionally, this season was not a year that we needed a rental player. One of our strengths the past few seasons has been depth, but over the summer that was wiped out due to the ownership chaos. With the recent injuries to both Gelinas (who was our postseason addition - although he has been with us all season) and Ortmeyer our lack of depth is clear and therefore we could not move a forward off our roster without having a major impact on the other end and simply no one wanted our forward prospects.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised that we didn't move a guy like Niskala or Sulzer (although I really like Sulzer and believe he will be an impact player at the NHL level) for something, but it is obvious that we went into the deadline with a plan in mind and that plan was to augment our depth at forward without hurting what we have alerady built this season. We have a young core group here and the future is bright looking forward. Don't jump all over Poile for not making any major moves today, his course was decided long ago and to his credit he did not deviate from it. We reloaded our depth today and that was what was needed.

Old
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
A lot of things get said on deadline day, but that's one of the funnier things I've read today
You're right. I was trying to think back about what I saw him doing in New York during his stint on the Jagr-Nedved line back in the day and the more I thought about it the more I was thinking that he was not a great defensive player at all. He will however be forced to play a more defensive role here in Nashville while still providing offense, that's simply the way we do things.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:21 AM
RollingPredFan

I'm just frustrated I guess. We have more defensive prospects than probably any other club, we are going to continue to healthy scratch some every night, and we needed a forward that can score. I didn't expect them to go after Hossa or Richards, but eventually having all these d-men we are going to have to trade one sometime.

Oh well if we miss the playoffs, I hope Florida tanks, maybe we can get Stamkos.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Jarnberg

Interesting quote from Poile in the paper today:

Quote:
General Manager David Poile said he had plenty of interest in his blueliners from other teams, but chose to keep the group intact.
Advertisement

"I didn't feel any great urgency to make a deal for our defense,'' Poile said.

"There's no question that in terms of trade opportunities presented to us, it usually represents our younger defensemen.

"We put a lot of time and effort into developing them. I think they're going to be more valuable to us, and if we do choose to move any of them, they'll be more valuable at a later date than today.''
Source: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...802270421/1028

It sounds like some deals where there, but obviously weren't what Poile felt was worth giving up young defense for.

With the trade deadline over, it will be interesting to see how Koistinen and Klein are handled in terms of signings.

I wonder if that later date happens to be around the draft, we could pull a move or two similar to the Tomas Slovak trade before the 2003 draft in Nashville.

Old
02-27-2008, 09:35 AM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Interesting quote from Poile in the paper today:

Source: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...802270421/1028

It sounds like some deals where there, but obviously weren't what Poile felt was worth giving up young defense for.

With the trade deadline over, it will be interesting to see how Koistinen and Klein are handled in terms of signings.

I wonder if that later date happens to be around the draft, we could pull a move or two similar to the Tomas Slovak trade before the 2003 draft in Nashville.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Poile make a deal on or shortly before draft day. Traditionally, he doesn't like to negotiate contracts during the season (which made the Legwand and Dumont moves a little surprising to me) and I don't think he's done much regarding his RFAs. I think he will address their contract situations between the end of the season and the draft and then, based on their contract demands, his interpretation of their value, and his budget, determine the best course of action.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Seth Lake

All right, it's time to turn in your report cards...

Now that the trading deadline is over, how do you think David Poile did? Give a letter grade to his performance based purely on your own criteria and justify it.

I'll post mine after we get a few samples. I don't want to taint the result since I'm the one asking the question.

Old
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
RollingPredFan

I don't know I'm no GM lol

I was frustrated but the more I think on it, if we were to try and deal like we had done in the last 2 years... Those trades bombed, we got knocked out early... It would have better to have the picks and prospects back. BUT I was hoping we could have found like a Sillinger or maybe even a Sullivan type trade, but Poile couldn't find one without him being a rental that was asking for too much I guess.

I dunno I'd give him a C I guess. He did get a couple of players for little or nothing. But that's probably what they will contribute haha

Old
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Jarnberg

Here's my take on Poile's work yesterday.

I didn't expect him to make a huge move and I'm glad he didn't make a huge trade. While its my opinion that we could afford to do such a deal, I don't think a huge, sweeping deal is good for our club at this point. Part of why we started off so slowly was because players had to get used to new roles on the team and adjust to playing a different style. We did lose some quality from last year, we cannot deny that. Hence making a huge swap which might include a few of our important players, that would be too big of a move for this team.

Of course, deadlines deals do not always have to involve the buyer losing a bunch of starting players of course, but then you could go the pick / prospect route like we did for the Forsberg deal. I think we could easily afford a deal like that, but it might not be best for the team.

That being said, I still would have liked to have seen Poile perhaps get some help scoring wise. Yes we have an incredible first line and actually have pretty good offensive numbers in the West, but I still think that it will be an issue down the stretch. Legwand and Erat haven't looked that good this year. They are too streaky in their scoring. It would be a huge boost to help them on the second line and give us some more scoring depth. Successful teams need to have multiple quality lines. Right now, if you shut down our top line, its likely to be game over. Granted, its been hard to shut down our top line, I just hate that we rely so much.

People make the argument that we are not a cup team, so don't make any moves. I disagree with that and here's why. In today's NHL, there is so much parity. You never know when you will have another shot at the playoffs again. I said the same thing last year when we got Forsberg. And look what happened to us in the offseason. We're now in a dogfight in the west just to make the playoffs. You never know what each season will bring you, whether it be ownership issues, injuries, players wanting trades, whatever.

The other argument is that deadline deals are a waste because only the top teams win the cup. I disagree with that also. We can go back and show how each team didn't win the cup after a deadline deal, but how many teams were able to stay in competition because of deadline deals? How many teams made the playoffs because of deadline deals? How many teams dropped out after not making deals? Its not as cut in dry as a deal is only successful if you win the cup.

Right now, our franchise is in a weird spot. Its sort of a rebuilding mode but not really. Poile obviously wants to restock his farm, although we haven't really lost alot in that regard imo. We have a ton of depth in the defensive prospect position and we haven't been the best at drafting forwards. We have a good team right now, not great, but good. If we wait too long, this team could be drastically different when its our goal to finally add someone. Basically, by the time this youth finally comes around, our other areas might be lacking.

Sorry if that above part doesn't make sense, I swear I understand it in my head

---------------
So, I would have liked for Poile to have grabbed some scoring depth and some help for the second line. I don't know the availability of every player in the NHL, so I can't name every player I would have liked for him to go after. Perhaps he looked into some deals, but at the end of the day, we didn't get an upgrade in that regard.

His two deals were obvious replacements for losing Gelinas and Ortmeyer. Poile said on the radio yesterday that it was his goal all year long to kind of do what he did yesterday. If we hadn't lost Gelinas and Ortmeyer, would we have not made any moves? Is Poile satisfied with our scoring lines?

Now for replacing the players we lost, we didn't lose much yesterday, which is great.

From an asset stand point, we have 4 really strong picks in what is supposed to be a great draft. We may even add to that around the draft.

I think at the end, Poile was afraid to make any sort of risky move, given our past few trading deadlines. I think we could have afforded a risky move, had it not been ridiculous.

Poile gets a C+ imo. We didn't really improve the team, while we didn't really get worse. Lets just hope that its enough to make the playoffs, something this franchise really needs imo, from a fan base stand point all the way to more money for our owners.