HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Official Blue Jackets Fan Speculation/Trade Proposals/Blog Rumors Thread II

Old
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
pipe dreams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
Would have been nice if we'd gotten some offensive talent in return. Oh well, continue to build from picks and within. It's worked for 7 seasons, might as well keep it going.
ROTFLMAO
anyone that thinks this was a good day needs to get some help

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
I'm fine with being sellers this year, but he needed to set the team up for a guaranteed spot next year (Something higher than 7-8 spot) . Howson didn't do that. Like I said earlier, with the group of upcoming UFA's, we're going to be years away from the playoffs. I don't see Hitch putting Brassard or Vorecek any higher than the third line so their not going to be any help.

brianhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
LaCosta Nostra

The list of UFA's this summer is bleek. Unless we want a 33 year old. No thanks.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
bcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF View Post
Heck no! Foote was no way worth $4 million per year for two years. To only have one potential trading partner and still get at least a first-rounder for him is, in my opinion, outstanding!

I would have liked a little more for Fedorov, but apparently all of those rumors about Detroit and Ottawa coveting him were not so much true.

Richards would have been nice, but we lost a bidding war to a team that had more resources available to offer. (Actually a better fit to Tampa's needs, but it amounts to the same thing.)

The playoffs have been a real longshot since the first few games after the All-Star break. Richards might have made that fantasy come true, but it wasn't worth mortgaging the future to find out.

We ended up being sellers, but did OK in that role. Now we go forward with a few extra draft choices, a lot more cap room, and no really horrific contracts to carry. Some young guys will get some more NHL ice, and we'll start next season with a lot more reason for real hope. At least we got something out of those two assets.

It sounds to me like a lot of the angst being expressed around here is being caused by unrealistic expectations.
Very well said. We made a pitch for Richards and maybe tht would have influenced some things with Foote and Feds. We made a legitimate pitch for him instead of Howson deciding over the weekend that we sucked. The playoffs were definitely a longshot. If things had to happen this way, then I am glad to have all that money free. Lets not burn Howson until we see how he spends (or doesn't spend) that money during the summer. And who knows, there is still talent on this team. And a great coach. Lets go play our butts off.

bcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Is there another Richards out there in UFAland this summer? I doubt it.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
bcon

Quote:
Is there another Richards out there in UFAland this summer? I doubt it.
I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on who the UFAs are going to be this summer. So, perhaps there isn't another Richards. But we tried. Tampa wanted a goalie. Would you have thrown in Pazzy or even Mason into the trade mix?? I would not.

Old
02-26-2008, 03:35 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcon View Post
I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on who the UFAs are going to be this summer. So, perhaps there isn't another Richards. But we tried. Tampa wanted a goalie. Would you have thrown in Pazzy or even Mason into the trade mix?? I would not.
I would have thrown in Mason. There somes a point when you have to bite the bullet. Heck we would of had Richards for 3 more years, and Pazzy looks like our goalie of the future. I love hockey but I am honestly depressed about today....

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
MFRONE

We needed offense but who's to say that trading off UFA would get us that impact guy?

Team can want stuff but until they have some one willing to give it up there's no point to stress over it.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
I would have thrown in Mason. There somes a point when you have to bite the bullet. Heck we would of had Richards for 3 more years, and Pazzy looks like our goalie of the future. I love hockey but I am honestly depressed about today....
I still wouldn't have parted with Mason.

But I would've been willing to deal Brassard....

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
bcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post

I understand what you are saying. Would Tampa have taken a prospect like Mason (even though he is a top prospect) or did they want someone who could play right now? Who knows.

Believe me, I am sad about today also. I really got excited about getting Richards. But I am still glad the the whole team wasn't gutted to the point where the chemistry takes such a major hit.

Old
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcon View Post
I understand what you are saying. Would Tampa have taken a prospect like Mason (even though he is a top prospect) or did they want someone who could play right now? Who knows.

Believe me, I am sad about today also. I really got excited about getting Richards. But I am still glad the the whole team wasn't gutted to the point where the chemistry takes such a major hit.
People like him need to read some of the posts before adding to the conversation. Once again, TB has 2 goalie prospects and wanted a guy to play right now. Mason WOULD NOT have gotten us Richards.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Hugg

Quote:
Would have been nice if we'd gotten some offensive talent in return. Oh well, continue to build from picks and within. It's worked for 7 seasons, might as well keep it going.
Right, because we've been a build from within team and haven't been a make stupid trades for washed up former MVPs and overpay mediocre players thus robbing our young guys of precious ice-time team.

The fact that we haven't been a build from within team for the last 7 years when we should have been is why we're here to begin with.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
bcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
People like him need to read some of the posts before adding to the conversation. Once again, TB has 2 goalie prospects and wanted a guy to play right now. Mason WOULD NOT have gotten us Richards.
I have been reading the posts all day and adding things and following coverage all day. I should have worded my post differently as I was pretty sure that Tampa wanted someone who could play right now. I was just throwing the question out there as a response to the post that said he would throw in Mason.

"People like him....." Geez, nice respect there. Aren't we all fans here? Take a pill, man