HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Cheer up Jackets Fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
  #1
FiveHole23
Registered User
 
FiveHole23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Cheer up Jackets Fans!

We're only 5 points out of the playoffs! And we just cleared 10Million Cap!

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
  #2
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,306
vCash: 500
10.68M actually.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
  #3
Kfarschman
Registered User
 
Kfarschman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Deutschdorf, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
We're only 5 points out of the playoffs! And we just cleared 10Million Cap!
I'm a little disappointed in not getting Richards, but I don't think we are worse off than we were before. Howson isn't a gunslinger GM like Maclean which has to be a good thing. Maybe Brule really has shown Hitch something lately and that he's finally starting to develop into a top six center.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
  #4
CBJForward
Registered User
 
CBJForward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Everyone complaining is having the same gut reactions that cause GMDM to make crappy moves. When they take a step back and look at the reality of the situation, they realize that this was a smart move.

CBJForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
  #5
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,005
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Woohoo! we have an ill-run organization that refuses to commit to winning.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
  #6
darrmd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Drinkin at the R-Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Actually 2-3 million. Already paid them for the rest of the season. Also it isn't like we can purchase anything right now.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
  #7
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
The two aren't related whatsoever. We freed up ten-million, but we can't use it until the off-season. So it's not like we can apply to extra money to close the gap in the standings.

I've been disappointed a lot this season, but there's nothing like the feeling of having to look forward to October in February.

Hard not to be disappointed, when the seasons not even over yet, but you know it's over. It's all too familiar.

Deze vu--I felt exactly like this last season. Only it came a little earlier.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
  #8
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 12,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Actually 2-3 million. Already paid them for the rest of the season. Also it isn't like we can purchase anything right now.
Agreed - what good does cap space do at this point in the game?

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
  #9
dru
Jarmo Unchained
 
dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 6,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Actually 2-3 million. Already paid them for the rest of the season. Also it isn't like we can purchase anything right now.
We could purchase some drinks somewhere.... If only I had a good idea where to get a drinks down there tho..... let me think.


On a serious note, those 2-3 million could be used to move our team budget up 2-3 more next season. That's my theory anyhow.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
  #10
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
I'm a little disappointed in not getting Richards, but I don't think we are worse off than we were before. Howson isn't a gunslinger GM like Maclean which has to be a good thing. Maybe Brule really has shown Hitch something lately and that he's finally starting to develop into a top six center.
We didnt get Richards cause the only way he would waive his no trade clause is if he went to a playoff organization, i.e. Dallas. Its not that Howson is less of a gunslinger, even though he is. Maclean wouldnt have been able to get the deal either.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
  #11
FiveHole23
Registered User
 
FiveHole23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
I honestly think the moves we made today dont change our stance on making the playoffs or not. I really dont think we hurt our team that much. I question the Feds move because i thought we could get more but the guy is hurt more than he plays lately.

I accepted only to get a 2nd if we were lucky for Foote. Now were going to get a 1st and 4th. Foote will sign with the Avs watch him take alot less than 4M too.

Things are looking up. I bet we trade one of our picks+more after the season for that 1st line center. Howson showed the first sign of trying to sign what we need rather than just signing/trading for big names to make a splash.

We have tons of room to sign people now and things are looking up.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
  #12
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
We can afford to re sign Pazzy now...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
  #13
BGSU91
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
We're only 5 points out of the playoffs, but what did we get today to help us this season? We lost 2 veterans with valuable playoff experience that, if nothing else, could help this very young team should they make the #8 spot. I knew Feds was going and that's ok. Howson needed to get something for him. But to let your Captain go, I really just don't get it. Most seem to blame Footer for the breakdown in his contract talks, but I really feel that there's more to it then money.

BGSU91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:09 PM
  #14
CBJForward
Registered User
 
CBJForward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSU91 View Post
We're only 5 points out of the playoffs, but what did we get today to help us this season? We lost 2 veterans with valuable playoff experience that, if nothing else, could help this very young team should they make the #8 spot. I knew Feds was going and that's ok. Howson needed to get something for him. But to let your Captain go, I really just don't get it. Most seem to blame Footer for the breakdown in his contract talks, but I really feel that there's more to it then money.
5 points is a lot!!!! We played more games than those ahead of us and those teams aren't going to stop winning!!!!

CBJForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
  #15
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I honestly think the moves we made today dont change our stance on making the playoffs or not. I really dont think we hurt our team that much. I question the Feds move because i thought we could get more but the guy is hurt more than he plays lately.

I accepted only to get a 2nd if we were lucky for Foote. Now were going to get a 1st and 4th. Foote will sign with the Avs watch him take alot less than 4M too.

Things are looking up. I bet we trade one of our picks+more after the season for that 1st line center. Howson showed the first sign of trying to sign what we need rather than just signing/trading for big names to make a splash.

We have tons of room to sign people now and things are looking up.
Exactly. The best has yet to come.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
  #16
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
We're only 5 points out of the playoffs! And we just cleared 10Million Cap!
corner

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
  #17
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,979
vCash: 500
Seriously guys, you'll be thanking Howson come July. He cleared 10 M in cap which gives us room to sign our guys AND good UFA's. We're in better position for the draft, especially if we, as much as i hate to say it, keep losing.

Richards wanted to go to a playoff team anyway and we're NOT it-- Dallas IS. And Dallas' offer was better. TB needs a good goalie and they got it. A young skilled guy like Jokinen is helpful, and Halpern is a vet leader. Our offer was 2 guys who haven't proved much and a D man who hasnt lived up to his potential.

Plus, we dont need to give up those guys for UFA's. Trust me, the best has yet to come.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
  #18
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
Seriously guys, you'll be thanking Howson come July. He cleared 10 M in cap which gives us room to sign our guys AND good UFA's. We're in better position for the draft, especially if we, as much as i hate to say it, keep losing.
Can't wait to throw a 8 year 56 million dollar deal together for Langkow.

Hopefully he figures somthing out, trade wise. The UFA pool does not excite me one bit. I really don't want to blow the most of the wad on Redden, that would be exciting - to lock him up for 8 years.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
  #19
xanbo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buckeye Country
Country: United States
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
Seriously guys, you'll be thanking Howson come July. He cleared 10 M in cap which gives us room to sign our guys AND good UFA's. We're in better position for the draft, especially if we, as much as i hate to say it, keep losing.

Richards wanted to go to a playoff team anyway and we're NOT it-- Dallas IS. And Dallas' offer was better. TB needs a good goalie and they got it. A young skilled guy like Jokinen is helpful, and Halpern is a vet leader. Our offer was 2 guys who haven't proved much and a D man who hasnt lived up to his potential.

Plus, we dont need to give up those guys for UFA's. Trust me, the best has yet to come.
I'm glad somebody here is making some sense. The young core of the team is very much intact, and honestly one or two big trades today would have been too little, too late (and you can't blame Howson for that because Richards wsn't being shopped a few weeks ago). Howson made some good, tough decisions today and I have no doubt we are MUCH better off in the long run, despite what some fickle fans may say.

xanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
  #20
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
We can afford to re sign Pazzy now...
If we couldn't afford to do it before, then we're in worse trouble than we all think.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
  #21
BGSU91
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJForward View Post
5 points is a lot!!!! We played more games than those ahead of us and those teams aren't going to stop winning!!!!
You're probably right...it's a huge mountain to climb, but there's a litle over a month left in the regular season and A LOT can happen in that time. Look at the injuries to the Wings defense. I'm really just surprised/disappointed that Howson made no moves other than these 2.

BGSU91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
  #22
cincyfan
Registered User
 
cincyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: guess
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
i just cant believe all the whining!

youd think that we gave away nash and z for a couple of late rounders.

when its all said and done, youll look back and say howson did ok today.


Last edited by Mellington: 02-26-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Edited out inappropriate comment
cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
  #23
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSU91 View Post
You're probably right...it's a huge mountain to climb, but there's a litle over a month left in the regular season and A LOT can happen in that time. Look at the injuries to the Wings defense. I'm really just surprised/disappointed that Howson made no moves other than these 2.
http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/01/playoff-push-95-points-or-bust.html

13-4-1

You realize the ONLY team in the NHL to win that many this season in an 18 game stretch is the Wings right...

We're not talking about "being good" we're talking about being "nearly flawless"

I appreciate the enthusiasm, I really do. But the fact of the matter is that the Jackets probably should have sold a few more players today or they better be busy re-signing.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
  #24
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
If we couldn't afford to do it before, then we're in worse trouble than we all think.

Very good point.

I am disappointed, but only because we were teased by TSN, Versus, etc. that Howson was going to make some big moves. Instead, if anything, today's deals hurt the team for the rest of this year. The weakening of this year's team is slight, but I have to believe with Foote and a healthy Federov this team would be a little better.

I also am surprised we could get a 1st for Foote, and just as surprised we could only get a college defenseman, that was the 19th defenseman picked in last year's draft.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
  #25
Mellington
Registered User
 
Mellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Lost World
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Come on guys I know this has been a ruff day for many but can we just relax a bit the personal attacks are not gunna make things better ...

__________________
LETS GO JACKETS !!!!
LETS GO STARS !!!
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.