Notices

O/T - Martin was fired

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
O/T - Martin was fired

Guess that was one playoff series loss too many.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Now, we're he'll end up is another question...
Will Lalime survive the fire sale in Ottawa?

Old
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I actually think he's a good goalie, but I would not be surprised to see him go. I would be a little surprised to see wholesale changes there. The coach is gone. I think you'll see people like Bonk and Lalime move on, plus some fringe vets. I would not be surprised to see them go after Primeau, Kolzig, people like that that shake up their team personality.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:35 PM
BruinsGirl

Who will be their coach? Quenville(sp), Robinson?

I think they fired Martin right now so nobody will be able to steal Q, cause he definitely was in Colorado's plans.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Lalime is definitly outta there....i think theyll give Prusek a long look when the next season starts, but the new owner has the $ and the desire so i wouldnt be surprised if he grabbed a non-tendered goalie or someone like Potvin to have a goalie duo to split time.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:49 PM
OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Too bad....the GM didn't get a goalie to carry the load, so Martin pays with his job.
If we didn't already have a decent coach, I wouldn't mind Martin being the Bruins coach. Maybe he could be another year.....

Old
04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Toronto has their number. They need to mix it up to avoid the same thing again. They keep adding a bunch of tough guys on lines 3/4, but they need more jam on the top two lines to get over that hump. I wonder if they'll wheel Spezza. I think that would be a huge mistake - in fact I think it was a big mistake to not dress him in every game against the Leafs.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:13 PM
BruinsGirl

Martin was too carefull in the playoffs. Ottawa didn't play their game.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Martin was too carefull in the playoffs. Ottawa didn't play their game.
I think Ottawa played a hell of a series. The poor PP and the great goaltending killed their hope for the Cup. They were by far the better team on the ice but with a hot tender like Belfour, you can do some upsets.

In Mtl, they have a back-up name Mathieu Garon. He seems ready to take the no1 job somewhere and with Théo being a God in Mtl, it won't be there. For myself, i think he may be better than Théo. Maybe Ottawa would want him for their no1?

Black Eye, you're right about their toughness up front on the first two lines. And i too beleive not dressing Spezza was a mistake but Vermette played some real good game in his place...

Old
04-22-2004, 03:15 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
I think Ottawa played a hell of a series. The poor PP and the great goaltending killed their hope for the Cup. They were by far the better team on the ice but with a hot tender like Belfour, you can do some upsets.

In Mtl, they have a back-up name Mathieu Garon. He seems ready to take the no1 job somewhere and with Théo being a God in Mtl, it won't be there. For myself, i think he may be better than Théo. Maybe Ottawa would want him for their no1?

Black Eye, you're right about their toughness up front on the first two lines. And i too beleive not dressing Spezza was a mistake but Vermette played some real good game in his place...
Garon isn't proven too. Lalime is a fine goalie (not this year though). There is not guarantee that Garon will be better.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Garon isn't proven too. Lalime is a fine goalie (not this year though). There is not guarantee that Garon will be better.
Right and right. I like Lalime and Garon is no guarantee. We still don't know what they'll do with Lalime but for seeing Garon play quite a bit, i would take a flyer on him.

Old
04-22-2004, 04:33 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
Right and right. I like Lalime and Garon is no guarantee. We still don't know what they'll do with Lalime but for seeing Garon play quite a bit, i would take a flyer on him.
What will Habs get in this trade??? Havlat?

Old
04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
neelynugs

so long jacques...i got tired of his smugness, to be honest. here's an interesting possibility:
martin, patrick lalime and radek bonk all wind up in NYC. the rangers desperately need a coach who can instill a real system and discipline, a good goaltender, and a smart 2 way center.

Old
04-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Tim O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV
Too bad....the GM didn't get a goalie to carry the load, so Martin pays with his job.
If we didn't already have a decent coach, I wouldn't mind Martin being the Bruins coach. Maybe he could be another year.....
Not me OV. Dull and boring behind the bench. The word here in Ottawa was there was a lot of dissention in the room, as well as some problems with some of the players. Just rumours I've heard. Take them for just that.

I think he is a good turn around coach, but that is where it ends.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
He had a good team, some good trades at the deadline, and he had a lot of chances to move the team forward. While it is obviously not all his fault, they needed a change. Regarding his being a candidate for other coaching jobs, he has not really gotten the job done in Ottawa and I think you have to grade his overall coaching effectiveness as "Incomplete." Same with Brian Burke. Are they really better than some of the people they will probably replace? I see no guarantee of that.

Old
04-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Wgrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
Lalime is definitly outta there....i think theyll give Prusek a long look when the next season starts, but the new owner has the $ and the desire so i wouldnt be surprised if he grabbed a non-tendered goalie or someone like Potvin to have a goalie duo to split time.
Gotta agree. Lalime is way too up and down and I this this was "it" for him one way or the other. Prusek looked pretty darn good every time he played the B's (at least). Lalime's time is up....goose is cooked.

Old
04-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
What will Habs get in this trade??? Havlat?
Havlat would be too much to give for Garon i think. Maybe Vermette? I don't know...

Old
04-23-2004, 07:59 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

you know.. Martin did a lot with this team. He took them from being one of the most ridiculed team in the NHL, and led them to being a Stanley Cup contender team.. maybe that was his job to do, and now someone needs to take over to finish the last bit. Good Luck Jacques, I can't wait to see you do that for another team

stay well

Old
04-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Bruin_Ron

Did anyone else hear Tortarella's comments about Martin getting fired.

He basically said that it was B.S. and served as another example of the players not being held accountable. He went on to say that that the team let the players off the hook, telling them that they're ok, and that it's the coache's fault

Did anyone else hear his comments? He's growing on me

Closed Thread