HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Expected Ottawa Trade Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 09:33 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to McThome
It is very impressive, but I'd be aweful suprised if Lowe adds a first/second line winger to the team in the offseason. I gotta think the only place is center -and even that is probably a no-go if Nedved re-signs.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Havlat already has scored 30 and the qualities you describe in Torres are exactly what Ottawa needs on LW on their top 2 lines. We could afford to lose Torres with Smyth, Isbister and Moreau here to fill out our top 3 LW positions - and Rita, Chimera and Mikhnov around to fill out the #4 slot.

Buy low - sell high is a Lowe strategy - and Torres has increased his value to the extent that trading him and a lesser prospect for Havlat is not unrealistic. Just think of these lines next year:

Smyth Nedved Dvorak
Isbister York Havlat
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Horcoff Stoll Laraque/Hemsky

That forward lineup is way more talented than anything we have had around Edmonton for years and would get us 100 points.
Agreed, that lineup would be more talented, but I don't think it would necessarily be good asset management. Isbister is still a question mark on consistency and health. He is also $1 million more expensive and older than Torres. And I see Hemsky as a developing player, hopefully it was merely the sophomore jinx this season. Why trade for a Havlat-level skills when we already have Hemsky at the same position? He's just not as developed or polished yet. Torres is only making $0.8 million this season while Havlat made $1.5 million AND is a restricted free agent this summer.

Don't get me wrong AsiaOil, I like Havlat as a skilled player and I think he's on the edge of exploding out and would love to have him on the Oilers. I guess I'm trying to say that I'd like to have my cake and eat it too, with both Torres and Havlat. I'd rather keep Torres unless a trade for a good young centreman comes along instead of another RW. I wonder if Ottawa would be silly enough to trade Havlat for Isbister (size), Horcoff (grit) and maybe an exchange of picks somewheres.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
It also helps Belfour make some stupid mistakes. Can't forget Laraques goal a few years ago. The Oilers had the man for the front of the net, but no snipers. Ottawa this series had all of the snipers, but not a guy infront of Belfours face.

Can anyone say "Chara" ?????? Ther is no bigger man to put in Belfour's face. He was there, and Belfour still stood on his head. The Sens were the better team, they got out-goaltended.

T

Old
04-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Can anyone say "Chara" ?????? Ther is no bigger man to put in Belfour's face. He was there, and Belfour still stood on his head. The Sens were the better team, they got out-goaltended.

T
Chara was rarely there as he was back playing defence, that's the difference between playing that as a natural role(Smyth) or heading there for a few seconds when the guys are moving up(chara). No doubt Belfour was amazing, but it still doesn't take away from my point that all of the forwards were shooting from the outside vs. Toronto, although there were a few plays in which Hossa got in close.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:02 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
according to Sports Forecaster Magazine:

oilers Right Wingers
York
Devo
Pisani
Laraque
Hemsky
Rita

Oilers Left Wingers
Smyth
Torres
Ethan
Isbister
Chimera

I think our wingers are our strength and the upgrade must be made to our centre and possibly goaltending. I like Havlat but I would rather have York's heart and Devo's all around game. If we traded Smyth, then Torres would be our #1 LW. Has anyone ever heard of the term - sophmore slump? Lowe would be creating a bigger hole by trading Smyth for Havlat and we would still need a #1 centre.
Amen.

This is why I would move wing depth for a Spezza, or to make payroll room for a Nedved (hear the footsteps Izzy?) but not wingers for wingers.

I love Havlat, for that matter I love Isbister, but having Petr Nedved showed (reminded) this team what a top level center brings to a club. I think priority 1 needs to be that C, whether it's the return of Nedved or another top 20/30 C in the league. Priority 1a should be between the pipes. I like Conks and Markkanen, I think they can carry the load for a year, MAYBE two, but KLowe should always have his ear to the ground when it comes to backstops.

Our depth/youth on the wings and on the point is top notch, it's the middle and the backend that most need to be addressed.

My 2 cents...

Old
04-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Lowetide

I think the Oilers could easily acquire both a center and a top 2line rw. If we go 2-4C with York, Reasoner and Stoll or Horcoff, then Rw becomes Dvorak, Hemsky, Pisani and Laraque.

The RW I'd want in the slot for the Oilers is Fernando Pisani, not Dvorak or Hemsky. That needs to be addressed imo.

Closed Thread