HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Phil Kessel who!!??

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 01:54 PM
helicecopter

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel who!!??

Ok, i read somewhere that this guy who is the leader as for goal scored at the U18 WJC is eligible for the 2006 draft!!
Is it true?? I mean, i didn't even know this name and it would be a great achievement for a guy that young! (16years old i guess)
Is it me or no one never spoke about this guy? Anyone out there who knows something about him and the kind of player he is?

Old
04-18-2004, 01:55 PM
NYR469

he is 16 and according to mckeens he is eligible for the 2006 draft

Old
04-18-2004, 02:03 PM
VernonForrest

He was born October 2nd 1987 so yes he is 06 eligible

Old
04-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
He is an awesome player. I was lucky enough to see all USA games in the u17 and be was by far the best player there. He is definitely lookin like a Top 10 in the 06 Draft

Old
04-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Green Star
Seggy #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter
Ok, i read somewhere that this guy who is the leader as for goal scored at the U18 WJC is eligible for the 2006 draft!!
Is it true?? I mean, i didn't even know this name and it would be a great achievement for a guy that young! (16years old i guess)
Is it me or no one never spoke about this guy? Anyone out there who knows something about him and the kind of player he is?
Hmm, actually someone did mention him before in this board. And I know X-Sharkie have played with him and said he is the best US player since Roenick.

Old
04-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Kessel will probably be a top 5 pick in the 2006 draft. That one is setting up to be really strong on the top end by the looks of things.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Daniel_Tkaczuk

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel_Tkaczuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Kessel will probably be a top 5 pick in the 2006 draft. That one is setting up to be really strong on the top end by the looks of things.
I did an interview with him at the Under-17s. It is on the McKeens site.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Dickie D

Any word on his college choice (I would guess the Wisconsin Badgers) would be a natural fit, but I know the Saginaw Spirit have stepped up talks to bring him in, with a nicer than usual OHL package and benefits.
I'm not a Spirit fan, but if Kessel were to join them now with their current cast of up and comers and rising stars they could potentially be a juggernaut like London was this season.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:55 AM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie D
Any word on his college choice (I would guess the Wisconsin Badgers) would be a natural fit, but I know the Saginaw Spirit have stepped up talks to bring him in, with a nicer than usual OHL package and benefits.
I'm not a Spirit fan, but if Kessel were to join them now with their current cast of up and comers and rising stars they could potentially be a juggernaut like London was this season.

If he does choose the college route, Michigan will more than likely be his destination. You are right about Saginaw intensifying their talks with Kessel's agent and father. When Saginaw first drafted him, I thought they were crazy for doing it in the 4th round as he would never step on to the ice in a Spirit uniform. Doesn't look so crazy now as they have a real good chance in signing him.

Old
04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
My friend Nathan Lawrence is great friends with Phil....I heard Michigan is the top spot...Wisconsin made a push for him as well.

Phill could be the best American born/devoloped player since Mike Modano IMO.

Kessel is awesome. He should be top 5 in 2006 if not #1.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
My friend Nathan Lawrence is great friends with Phil....I heard Michigan is the top spot...Wisconsin made a push for him as well.

Phill could be the best American born/devoloped player since Mike Modano IMO.

Kessel is awesome. He should be top 5 in 2006 if not #1.

Not to nitpick, but Modano really wasn't American "developed", since his junior years were spent in the WHL with the Prince Albert Raiders, but I get your point.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Not to nitpick, but Modano really wasn't American "developed", since his junior years were spent in the WHL with the Prince Albert Raiders, but I get your point.
Well... not to nit pick buttttt Modano was tabbed as a top prospect while he was playing for Detroit Little Caesar's so his Age 7-15 development came in the US but by then he was already considered a top prospect.

So American developed? Yes. Canadian fine-tuned? Yes.

Old
04-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
Well... not to nit pick buttttt Modano was tabbed as a top prospect while he was playing for Detroit Little Caesar's so his Age 7-15 development came in the US but by then he was already considered a top prospect.

So American developed? Yes. Canadian fine-tuned? Yes.
The word "developing" usually refers to a player's state of play up until his peak, which is around 27.

So, if the reference was to the Minnesota North Stars, he is entirely correct.

Although at no age does a player's game and identity develop than at around 17-18. That's when you can distiguish the Kia from the Audi.

Closed Thread