HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we can't sign Kovy, should we get Selanne?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
If we can't sign Kovy, should we get Selanne?

If Kovy is asking for too much this summer, would you try to get Selanne? Today, he's a healthy scratch for a playoff game so I think that he probably won't return with the Avalanche next year. Of course, Kovy is younger and much more better than Selanne, but he is UFA and he teams like Detroit and Colorado might want to sign him for the big price. If that happens, I think that Selanne could fit in with Koivu and Zed. If the deal works, Colorado will definitely pay a part of Selanne's salary. Selanne for 2.5 millions/year in Montreal, I say yes.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:43 PM
EaGLE1

I still believe in Kariya & Selanne. I'm sure they are still fantastic players. Too much talent in COL to give 'em the ice-time & PP time they deserve.
I would take them for sure!

Old
04-24-2004, 04:46 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
If Kovy is asking for too much this summer, would you try to get Selanne? Today, he's a healthy scratch for a playoff game so I think that he probably won't return with the Avalanche next year. Of course, Kovy is younger and much more better than Selanne, but he is UFA and he teams like Detroit and Colorado might want to sign him for the big price. If that happens, I think that Selanne could fit in with Koivu and Zed. If the deal works, Colorado will definitely pay a part of Selanne's salary. Selanne for 2.5 millions/year in Montreal, I say yes.
Hasn't he been injured for the majority of the year... if he has.. i'd rather stay clear of him... a healthy team is normally a successful one ... though if the price is right player of his pedigree wouldn't be a bad acquisition...

Though look at it this way.. if we were to sign him.. it would mean another year when we taking a spot from a promising rookie.... yes and i know that you said sign Selanne instead of Kovalev.... but wouldn't you rather give a youngster a shot instead... ???

Old
04-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Corey

Never! Selanne is on the decline and is not be an acceptable substitute for Kovalev. The team should be getting stronger, not weaker.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:53 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Never! Selanne is on the decline and is not be an acceptable substitute for Kovalev. The team should be getting stronger, not weaker.
Maybe he is on a decline, but i'm sure he can post 30 goals again. Look at Brett Hull, he will be 40 years old soon & he's still a threat. Think about Koivu+Selanne!!!
Damn, would be great!

Old
04-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Wildbeliefs

Um.. no.

As much as I like Selanne, this team needs to get bigger, not smaller. As well as that great scoring, Kovalev brings his relatively big frame to the Habs. 6'0 or 6'1, I think? And he's not easy to knock down.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:55 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
plz no...selanne was invisible all the season.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Yeah, Selanne is dead weight, damaged goods. He really is. Im sure even San Jose, where his numbers were ok, thinks so. Selanne is also 34, how much longer is he gonna keep playing?

Old
04-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Tuggy

No thanks....why go out and get over the hill "superstars" when we are in a rebuilding phase and have a couple of very good prospects looking to make the team next year. Perezhogin and Higgins.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:13 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
No thanks....why go out and get over the hill "superstars" when we are in a rebuilding phase and have a couple of very good prospects looking to make the team next year. Perezhogin and Higgins.
Agreed...time to let the young guys have their shot. Lets not get to far off the rebuilding phase we're in.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Perez

Teemu for 2.5/year could pay-off. But it all depends if BG/AS/PG feel that Perez and Higgins are ready to step up, first..

Old
04-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Traitor8

No,

Selanne isn't the player he once was.
If you can't get Kovalev, then you go Primeau or other big forwards.

We have Kostsitsyn,Perezhogin,Hossa,Plekanec,Higgins, who need to play

Old
04-24-2004, 06:54 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
No,

Selanne isn't the player he once was.
If you can't get Kovalev, then you go Primeau or other big forwards.

We have Kostsitsyn,Perezhogin,Hossa,Plekanec,Higgins, who need to play
If thats the case why would you want to go after other forwards.... If your gonna give them a chance do so.... but then don't go and spend money on free agents.... because at the end of the day your gonna have to play one of them, and if your spending 3-4m on a player i'm sure you don't want him riding the pine....???? Catch my drift???

Old
04-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
I would pass. Selanne may have the talent somewhere in his body, and he's a fantastically nice guy by all reports, but he just seems to have lost the fire in the belly needed to fight through any kind of checking at all and produce in the NHL. I'm sure that if some expansion-kind-of-team came in and gave him a cushy top line job with oodles of PP time he could still get 30 goals. But it wouldn't be a very meaningful 30 goals. And I think/hope we are beyond the stage of having guys like that on the team.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:05 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I would pass. Selanne may have the talent somewhere in his body, and he's a fantastically nice guy by all reports, but he just seems to have lost the fire in the belly needed to fight through any kind of checking at all and produce in the NHL. I'm sure that if some expansion-kind-of-team came in and gave him a cushy top line job with oodles of PP time he could still get 30 goals. But it wouldn't be a very meaningful 30 goals. And I think/hope we are beyond the stage of having guys like that on the team.
PLEASE GOD let this be so..... I never ever, ever, ever want to see another Audette, Czerawski, McKay or Lindsay or our team again... Phat contracts for lazy players... well maybe not lazy but you could be forgiven for asking yourself whether they played in a game or not....

Old
04-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Traitor8

Because Primeau wouldn't be a scorer , he would be a 3rd liner with Bulis and Ward.

the players I mentionned can all be top 6 forwards.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:32 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Because Primeau wouldn't be a scorer , he would be a 3rd liner with Bulis and Ward.

the players I mentionned can all be top 6 forwards.
I'd personally loved to see a 3rd line of Plekanec-Higgins-Bulis... fast, strong players who can play two way and be a high energy line....

so next year we'd be looking at this as our team...

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribs-Hossa
Plekanec-Higgins-Bulis
Begin-Dowd-Langdon/Ward

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Hainsey
Rivet-Brisebois
Bouillon

I'd love to see that as our lineup.... i think it would be Awesome i paticular like our 3rd and 4th lines.... what do you think to that lineup Komisarek8??? let me know.... I do think though that a player like a Primeau or Cole would be nice... but we've never been big and Tampa play so well with a high energy press and forecheck defense that the players i've chosen would be able to do that.....

Old
04-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Traitor8

There's too much we can't predict..Can Perezhogin or Kostsitsyn step in the Nhl next year? Are we going to package some prospects to move up in the draft and take Ovechkin,Malikin or Olesz? Is a trade or UFA signing happening?

Now if nothing happens, then here's what I want:

Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Zednik
Bulis-Higgins-Ward
Langdon-Plekanec-Begin
Dowd

It's tough to take a guy like Dowd out of the lineup but we need Langdon in the regular season. I wanted to put Pleks on the 3rd but I don't think it's a good idea because we would have 2 young player playing with a fairly young Bulis on a defensive line so I would rather add Ward who is a bit more experienced.
I would also consider to move Hossa with Koivu and Kovalev to give him a real chance

Here's 2 other lines we can use:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Hossa
Bulis-Higgins-Plekanec
Langdon-Begin-Ward

or

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Higgins
Bulis-Hossa-Plekanec
Langdon-Begin-Ward

Old
04-24-2004, 08:15 PM
English Hab

Quote:
There's too much we can't predict..Can Perezhogin or Kostsitsyn step in the Nhl next year? Are we going to package some prospects to move up in the draft and take Ovechkin,Malikin or Olesz? Is a trade or UFA signing happening?

Now if nothing happens, then here's what I want:

Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Zednik
Bulis-Higgins-Ward
Langdon-Plekanec-Begin
Dowd

It's tough to take a guy like Dowd out of the lineup but we need Langdon in the regular season. I wanted to put Pleks on the 3rd but I don't think it's a good idea because we would have 2 young player playing with a fairly young Bulis on a defensive line so I would rather add Ward who is a bit more experienced.
I would also consider to move Hossa with Koivu and Kovalev to give him a real chance

Here's 2 other lines we can use:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Hossa
Bulis-Higgins-Plekanec
Langdon-Begin-Ward

or

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Higgins
Bulis-Hossa-Plekanec
Langdon-Begin-Ward
Your second two lines are very similar to mine.... and i do agree with you in what you said about putting two youngsters on the same line... I think though that during training camp that CJ and BG would be able to assess if these guys could be able to cope with the pressures... in Plekanec and Higgins i think and feel that both would be able to cope as they are very clever hockey players aswell as gifted. but yes you should always be a little cautious when putting alot of youth out there at once... However as the old saying goes...

"IF THEIR GOOD ENOUGH THEIR OLD ENOUGH"

Old
04-24-2004, 08:18 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
No thanks in regards to getting Selanne

Closed Thread