Notices

Calgary Trades?

Old
02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
flameshacker

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to flameshacker Send a message via Yahoo to flameshacker
Calgary Trades?

what are the chances Calgary makes zero trades today, this morning on The Score one of the analysts stated that he spoke to Sutter, and Sutter said he is happy with the team the way it is. I'd like to see them pick somebody up just as added insurance for the playoffs.

flameshacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameshacker View Post
what are the chances Calgary makes zero trades today, this morning on The Score one of the analysts stated that he spoke to Sutter, and Sutter said he is happy with the team the way it is. I'd like to see them pick somebody up just as added insurance for the playoffs.
I don't really think our need is more talent. We have all the first and second line forward and defensive talent we should need. The quesiton is getting them to perform consistently.

Calgary already made a couple of moves prior to the deadline. Bringing in a backup and anothre solid depth d-man were both good moves.

If we pick up anything at this point, I hope it is just more depth at forward. The good news is that these kind of players seem to be going for relatively cheap. So I don't see us having to give up any roster type players. Hopefully, the most we would have to give up is a goalie prospect in our log jammed goalie system.

If Calgary doesn't make any moves I don't think I would be dissapointed. Like I said before Calgary has shown they have the talent to take on top teams. The bigger issue is consistency. That being said, since December we have one of the best records in the league and if it isn't broke don't fix it.

I have to admit that both Dallas and Anaheim scare me at this point. San Jose could also be a force if their forwards ever start producing. I just don't think Calgary has or can give up what it would take to make me feel 100% confident playing against those teams.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Walkingthroughforest
johnny be good

Well, there goes another trade deadline with nothing for us
*sigh*

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Rejean31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
*sigh*
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Grannys

With the bog moves in the west I think Calgary needs to pick up their game even more now. I wish the Flames would of made some kind of trade.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
*sigh*
When was the last trade deadline when the Flames didn't make a move?

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Boomstick

I would have liked a little tweaking. But it speaks volumes when management doesn't make a move. Obviously Sutter and Keenan like their team as is.
I'm just glad Tanguay's still here.

Time to start getting this team to gel on a consistent basis.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

I knew this would happen, there's really nothing much you can do with this team, you can't give up prospects to win now, and you can't sell because you are in a win now position.

The Flames are a top 10 team in the league. I'd say i'm a bit dissapointed Sutter didn't get anyone, but obviously he sees something great in this current team.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Miko

I'm just happy the flames still have their 1st this year and didn't trade any of their top tier prospects.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I'm just happy the flames still have their 1st this year and didn't trade any of their top tier prospects.

I'll second that.

Would have liked to of maybe seen some tweaking today, small depth type of move or something, but in the end I'm just glad Sutter didn't go looking to overpay for a rental.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Stifler

I am so glad that the trade deadline has come and gone and guys like Boyd and Backlund are still with the Flames I'm glad to see once again Sutter didn't just throw his 1st round pick around for a quick short fix.

The only move I would have like is maybe see Sutter pick up Lang from Chicago as a 3rd line player.

Really though insignificant day for all 6 Canadian teams

Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
I am so glad that the trade deadline has come and gone and guys like Boyd and Backlund are still with the Flames I'm glad to see once again Sutter didn't just throw his 1st round pick around for a quick short fix.

The only move I would have like is maybe see Sutter pick up Lang from Chicago as a 3rd line player.

Really though insignificant day for all 6 Canadian teams
Lang has another year at 4 million. Wouldn't really be a smart pickup

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Puckz

Not disappointed at the deadline... glad to see Boyd, Backlund, Irving, 1st rounder etc... didn't get traded away.

Also really glad that Tanguay is sticking around.

The only thing I would have maybe liked to see is the Flames picking up a guy like MA Bergeron if the going price was a 3rd rounder, wouldn't have hurt to have another offensive threat back there I don't think.

All said and done, I'm confident this team will make the playoffs assuming we stay healthy and once there, anything can happen.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Wags

I was really hoping Juice would be going in favour of someone that would show up in the playoffs (we can't afford him next year anyway), as I really think we lost a step on all of the top teams in the West today.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I don't mind standing pat this year. This team has what it takes to be successful if they can find that consistency. Any big moves may have unpredictably altered the team for the worse, so I like that we're staying as is. More often than not big deals and rentals don't pay off. However, if this team lays an egg for the 3rd straight year, Sutter will have to answer some tough question and make some changes.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
mucca

In Sutter We Trust!

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
saillias

I don't really understand why we're paying Warrener 2 and a half to sit in the pressbox. He's easily a good enough defenseman to be playing every game he's healthy. With Vandermeer he's going to play even less which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if Sutter is content to keep a 2.5 million defenseman that will get scratched most nights then

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Calgary has the skill and has all season, we don't have a glaring weakness unless you consider the inability for the players to put it all together a weakness that can be addressed through a trade.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
CBanana

We can still contend for the cup with what we have. If the Flames put it all together they have a strong mix of skill and grit, two excellent scoring lines, a top 10 defense, and an elite goaltender with a strong backup. Putting it all together is a question mark but there's no doubt it's possible to contend with what we have.

I'm just glad we didn't have another trade like Kobasew/Ference for Stuart/Primeau.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
The Calgary Flames listened and talked throughout NHL Trade Deadline on Tuesday but ultimately decided to stick with the roster they have right now for the rest of the season.

"We were probably close to a couple of bad deals," said a wry Calgary general manager Darryl Sutter. "I think everyone likes to analyze trade deadline deals... but we didn't want to disrupt any of our core group. We've got a good club."

Quote:
Other teams in the Western Conference were busy -- Colorado for one signed Peter Forsberg and then traded for Adam Foote. San Jose nabbed Brian Campbell, a highly sought after defenceman, from Buffalo while Dallas beefed up by getting Brad Richards from Tampa Bay. Despite those moves, Sutter said he didn't feel pressure to have to match what other teams were doing.

"You are not going to contribute any of your nucleus players to match that," said Sutter. "You have to have a bigger view and a bigger vision of it."

Sutter also noted that the Flames are in the thick of the playoff hunt in the Western Conference and were not looking to change the dynamics of the team.

"You are not trying to shake it up and you are not going to give away somebody who is going to be with your for a long time," said the general manager. "And I prefer to keep our first round picks."

Quote:
Moving forward, Sutter reiterated that he likes the team make-up heading into the stretch drive to the playoffs.

"The division keeps getting tougher But I think we are in a good position," said Sutter.

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=354994

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
ComixZone

now I'm hoping we extend Tanguay and re-sign Langkow to fill-out the "core"

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
I knew this would happen, there's really nothing much you can do with this team, you can't give up prospects to win now, and you can't sell because you are in a win now position.

The Flames are a top 10 team in the league. I'd say i'm a bit dissapointed Sutter didn't get anyone, but obviously he sees something great in this current team.
This post sums it up the best IMO. Unfortunately, the Flames aren't in a position to sell, cause the Flames had lots of players to sell with their large number of pending UFA on their current market.
This year's market was great for sellers and I guess, Sutter could have acquired made some great deals for the Flames' not-so-distant future, if he shipped guys like Huselius, Langkow, Conroy and Yelle out of town.
Due to last week's winning-streak, Flames are in the PO-race, but I still believe, that we won't compete for the championship with our current team. IMO we need some improvements up-front and on D, but apparently, Sutter wasn't willing to pay the price, which would have gutted our future.
This leaves us with a neither-fish-nor-fowl-situation, cause we neither did anything to improve our future, nor did we wholly gut it.

But I will have no objections, if Sutter and our team disproves my assessment of the situation and they make it to the finals.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote