HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

72 Game Season?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
72 Game Season?

Here's the Link

I'm all for a shorter season, but it seems like they might just start the season later, just the opposite of what I would do. Other problems:
-no Habs, Leafs, or Sens visiting with no East teams to play
-5 fewer home games at the gate for revenue purposes.

Sounds like this hasn't been worked out completely...

Old
04-24-2004, 05:04 PM
KlingonHockey

Quote:
One of the biggest casualties, if this new schedule becomes reality, is that the Toronto Maple Leafs, a huge draw in Western Canada, would not visit Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oh no TSN, what a great shame that'll be.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:39 PM
The Rage

I'm surpirsed both the PA and NHL support the move, as it is bound to result in less money for both sides. Good to see that money isn't always the be-all end-all.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperatory Funnel
Oh no TSN, what a great shame that'll be.
Hahaha, oh damn, that means when the Leafs come to visit Rx WON'T be infested with Buds fans? What a tradegy!

Old
04-24-2004, 08:00 PM
jadeddog

so can somebody please tell me what the purpose of playing your divisional opponents twice as much as the other teams in your conference does again? oh yeah! i know! it allows teams in much weaker divisions much easier schedules and a higher playoff position... what a *****ing joke!! when will the league figure out that the playoffs are CONFERENCE BASED, not division based anymore

on a side note, im in favor of a shorter schedule and in favor of no east/west games... but the whole division rivalry thing is just stupid beyond all imagination

Old
04-24-2004, 10:03 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
so can somebody please tell me what the purpose of playing your divisional opponents twice as much as the other teams in your conference does again? oh yeah! i know! it allows teams in much weaker divisions much easier schedules and a higher playoff position... what a *****ing joke!! when will the league figure out that the playoffs are CONFERENCE BASED, not division based anymore
Completely agree.

I say play everyone in your conference 5 times, for a 70 game season, playoff standings are simply final totals, no divisions.

Or play everyone 6 times for an 84 game schedule. Though I do like the idea of playing everyone 3 times home and away, shortening the schedule wouldn't hurt either.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog

on a side note, im in favor of a shorter schedule and in favor of no east/west games... but the whole division rivalry thing is just stupid beyond all imagination
Good point.

If the league is going to step up the intra-divisional play then they should go back to playing off within the divisions as well. Of course then we'd have to have an even number of divisions but that's no problem.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Matts

No exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Good point.

If the league is going to step up the intra-divisional play then they should go back to playing off within the divisions as well. Of course then we'd have to have an even number of divisions but that's no problem.
I would love to see a return to divisional play in the playoffs. can you imagine a team perhaps playing 15 games against one another? all the hate and sidebars and recent history that would have been freshly writter heading into games six and seven of that playoffs? man it would be gold.

but at the very least the league is going back to 8 divisonal meetings a season so that's a start. hopefully someone in power mentions JD"s point and in another couple of years we will go back to divisonal play in the playoffs.

for now with a 72 game season, that's five less home games for the owners so salaries will or would have to be pared accordingly even if there wasn't a new CBA afoot. the thing that shocks me is how much in accord the PA and mgm are over this new move.

can't wait to read more about it

Old
04-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Copper&Blue4Life

Here's an Idea!!!

Of course we still have division/conference play, but how about the suggestion of interleague play sort of like the mlb. Rotating lets say west pac vs east northeast one year and then west pac vs. east southeast the following year etc. I think this would be a great idea so at least there is some change every year to keep the fans interested in playing other teams. How about the idea of returning to two divisions in each conference.
like this:
Western Conference (Campbell Conference)

Pacific
edm cal van phx col sj ana la

Central
chi nash det dallas min clb stl

Eastern Conference (Wales)
Northeast
tor, buf, bos, ott, mon, nyr, nyi, nj

Southeast
phi pitt, atl, car, fla, tb, wash
this would allow the ease of divisional playoffs, the only disadvantage is that two divisions will only have 7 teams. Thus, maybe realigning some of the conferences one having 16 teams the other 14. I am not in favour of that one. Let me know what you all think.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Bohologo

It just occured to me that a 72 game season screws the Oilers another way-how will they make the playoffs without that last 10 games to go on a tear and rush in for the 8th spot? Bettman & the NHLPA hate Edmonton!

Old
04-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
It just occured to me that a 72 game season screws the Oilers another way-how will they make the playoffs without that last 10 games to go on a tear and rush in for the 8th spot? Bettman & the NHLPA hate Edmonton!
How will they make the playoffs winning a pitiful 7 out of 24 games vs. divisional opponents?

Closed Thread