HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gratton > Colton Orr

Old
02-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Nyrfan44

vCash: 500
Maybe Gratton will replace that ECHLer named Hollweg..

Nyrfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:59 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

The Coyotes had some absurd winning record % (over 70) with Gratton in the lineup or something. He is great in the locker room and takes care of his teammates. He has an iron jaw and won't back down for anyone. He can take on any heavy or super heavy.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Nyrfan44

Great, then maybe he will replace Hellweg..

Nyrfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Celestial Black

Gratton is siomply just and ahl player...he won't be taking Orr's spot or anyone elses.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Gratton is a great team guy and a very good to above avg fighter. If he were 6ft 3 or bigger he would be king of the league with his heart and chin. The guy will get a look next season and might see a game or two this year but he is Hartfords new policeman. Orr has worked Renneys system and deserves to be where he is.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
lord knows i've bashed orr for being a poor skater on this site, but there's a reason he's in the lineup consistently and that's to protect our guys from cheap shots. i agree, gratton's a middleweight, orr is a definite heavyweight. gratton=hollweg to an extent
Gratton couldn't come close to the skating, hitting, forechecking and defensive level of Hollweg...

And befor predicting that "Sjostrom will replace Hollweg" you might want to realize that SJostrom is A RW and more likely to to take time away from Orr when we play faster teams.....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
personally i think sjostrom's gonna take hollweg's spot
I dont care where he plays, he should be in the lineup.

He's definitely a better, smarter, more athletic player than Orr and Hollweg.

While that HBO line has been effective, they could be even more effective with a guy who can actually finish on that line. How many glorious opportunities has Betts created for himself and Hollweg this year with no result?

Phoenix used Sjostrom on the power play at times, but he is just as reliable defensively as either of the two 4th line wingers. Personally, i'd liek to see Hollweg sit. He's been annoying me now with his stupid Metallica coverband crap.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont care where he plays, he should be in the lineup.

He's definitely a better, smarter, more athletic player than Orr and Hollweg.

While that HBO line has been effective, they could be even more effective with a guy who can actually finish on that line. How many glorious opportunities has Betts created for himself and Hollweg this year with no result?

Phoenix used Sjostrom on the power play at times, but he is just as reliable defensively as either of the two 4th line wingers. Personally, i'd liek to see Hollweg sit. He's been annoying me now with his stupid Metallica coverband crap.
He is skillfull and talented, but from the little i've seen he also dogs it at times..As for his great offense, I think all of Hollweg, Betts and Orr have outscored him since the first of the year.....and played better defense...But, you're right, lets rush Sjostrom in...

Actually, I do want to see him play and Have no problem with him playing some on the 4th line (most likely in for Orr since BOTH are RWs) but you gotta mind the chemistry and defense of the team/line as a whole (versus the individual) and do things at the right time..

Old
02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Can we please get rid of the spastic looking drummer also?

Old
02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLChT...eature=related

Probably posted somewhere already, but here's a little highlight vid of Gratton. He is a very good scrapper, and like Orr has some heavy hands too. But as a fighter his claim to fame is his amazing chin. The guy can take a punch pretty much right on the chin and keep going. For anyone that hasen't seen the guy fight yet, a solid comparision is Ryan Vandenbussche.

But, I think he is basically destined for Hartford. With the pack heavies injured, he will more likely than not play there for a while, unless of course Orr is still inured. In that case, Gratton will probably play against the Flyers, but not the Isles or the Canes. If he does play agains tthe Flyers, he will probable have a go with Boulerice or Cote. Or maybe both! But I don't see Gratton beating out Hollweg for the 4th line. Nor do I see Sjostrom doing that either. Actually, I have a crazy feeling that Sjostrom is going to be used as an experiment on the Gomez line. Call me crazy, but just a hunch!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Swapping goons will accomplish nothing. Orr worked hard to be where he is and he's done well for us and certainly is a smarter player. Orr > "Gratton"..That said, if Sjostrom doesn't crack the lineup (at the expense of most of the bottom 6), I will be disappointed in Renney.Scratch Hollweg, Orr, or Prucha. Get him in there. Yes, I know Prucha is out already.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Swapping goons will accomplish nothing. Orr worked hard to be where he is and he's done well for us and certainly is a smarter player. Orr > "Gratton"..That said, if Sjostrom doesn't crack the lineup (at the expense of most of the bottom 6), I will be disappointed in Renney.Scratch Hollweg, Orr, or Prucha. Get him in there. Yes, I know Prucha is out already.
Doesn't matter what fans think, if he proves in practice that he can make the Rangers a better TEAM, then he plays...SOMEWHERE..If he doesn't ,he can sit on his ass till Kingdom comes for all I care..

Given Renney's comments on the next Hossa (complete with a 1 goal in 23 game streak) though, I think he finds his way in fairly soon...Then it will be up to him..

Old
02-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Pizza

Orr has improved in every facet of the game we want him to play since he was acquired, IMO. He has done everything he has been asked to do and then some I'd say.

The Rangers see something in Gratton, or they would not have asked for him. I'm intrigued to see what they can do with him, after what they have done with Orr.

They certainly will not have to improve on Gratton's ability to take a punch. He's pretty good there.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Gratton makes Orr look like Messier. Gatton is very tuff for his size but he is a middle weight and not going to deter anyone. Plus Orr is -14 and only minus 2 in last 35 games he is doing his job
No one is a deterrent, but we have disagreed about this before.

That said, Orr hasn't been horrible this year but he remains a totally fringe NHL player. As long as the NHL continues in its current direction, Orr will be part of a dying breed.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
eco's bones

The Rangers haven't made this trade to sit him out. Current RW's Jagr, Shanny, Callahan and Orr. For the rest of the regular season I think depending on the opponent Callahan and Orr are going to be doing some sitting and maybe even Shanny occasionally. From what I've been reading Sjostrom is good defensively, kills penalties and has a lot of speed. 10 goals so far this season may not be a lot but it's enough offense to keep teams honest. Come playoff time I think Orr is going to be doing most of the sitting and possibly Callahan will be on the 4th line. Truthfully I like this pickup. He's still young and whether or not he becomes a top liner he is a legit NHL player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 11:26 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Orr has paid his dues, imo....and is one of the most feared enforcers in this league. I'm a huge Orr fan. He is what he is....and is a valuable asset.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

With the exception of Laraque and Brasher, I think Orr matches up or beats any heavyweight in the league. I don't know if Gratton would be that tough, especially if he is a middle weight. Having a guy as tough as Orr, playing a regular shift on the ice keeps other teams from getting out of line. He does have a significant minus though he often is out there against other teams top lines, so -2 in the past 35 when his line doesn't produce offensively, is pretty darn good.

Another bonus for Orr is that he knows his role and immediately sticks up for his teammates. With that he's earned his time and Gratton hasn't.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Gratton couldn't come close to the skating, hitting, forechecking and defensive level of Hollweg...

And befor predicting that "Sjostrom will replace Hollweg" you might want to realize that SJostrom is A RW and more likely to to take time away from Orr when we play faster teams.....
well I don't think Sjostrom is going to play on the Betts line anyways, he's more likely to bump Callahan down, and Callahan can play either side.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Orr has paid his dues, imo....and is one of the most feared enforcers in this league. I'm a huge Orr fan. He is what he is....and is a valuable asset.
not much in playoffs.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Orr is a much more feared fighter. Gratton will just throw a lot of punches but Orr has a reputation of being able to hurt you, unlike all but a handful of NHL fighters.

Orr is also clearly the better player.
There it is right there. A lot of what people say is the truth about Gratton but Orr will definitely give you more offensively. Not saying that you expect much offense out of him, but Orr is simply a better player. Gratton most likely won't see MSG ice.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote