HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Now that the trading deadline is over, how do you think David Poile did? Give a letter grade to his performance based purely on your own criteria and justify it.

I'll post mine after we get a few samples. I don't want to taint the result since I'm the one asking the question.
I am gonna hedge and give poile an "I" for Incomplete... he didnt get any big name rental that cost us assets but in reality wouldnt have made us anything more than a solid 7-9 team instead of a shaky 7-9 team... and i agree with that approach.

but the "I" will only become an "A" if he uses the hoarded assets this summer to plug the holes and build us a team that can make a truly deep, franchise saving run next year. If next fall we still have the same 8 defensemen on the roster and we are still hoping Sully is good to go as our 'missing" top 6 forward then poile gets a retroactive "F"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
I saw in another thread that reportedly, Snow was asking for a 1st for Fedotenko, which is insane and I'm glad we passed.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I saw in another thread that reportedly, Snow was asking for a 1st for Fedotenko, which is insane and I'm glad we passed.
If that's the case ... then Snow can keep Fedotenko ... wow

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
what's he smoking?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
PredsV82
No

sounds to me like Snow realizes they are still able to make the playoffs this year and so his thought was if he could get some sucker to outrageously overpay, then he'd trade him, but if not, he'd just keep him for the stretch drive. obviously if he had wanted to move him no matter what, he would have had a backup deal for a third or something that he would have pulled the trigger on at the last minute...

Old
02-27-2008, 04:35 PM
dulzhok

I really hope we still make a pass for Jokinen this offseason. I highly doubt he will be in Florida next year. He would really solidfy our forwards. Not that I have any confidence in Poile even considering it.

Wish we had dangled Zidlciky. Campbell got a ****load. Granted, Campbell is in a class above Z, but he's also a UFA at seasons end. Someone like Colorado or Philly would've paid a big price for him.

We missed our opportunity to trade Suter. This offseason, people are going to be hesitant to do it, because they will fear the offer sheet.

Prospal would've been easy to get. No excuses.

We have some of the most assets in the league, and Poile has no clue what to do with them. Last year, I would say we had the MOST assets in the leaugue, and we have pretty much have nothing to show for it. This is why Washington fired Poile. He's able to build a decent team, but he can't take them to the next level.

I anticpate Klein will get an offer sheet this offseason, for a little over a million. We won't match, and our compensation will be a 3rd rd pick.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I've seen several people state that "we didn't improve the team" or something of that affect but I disagree. Since we no longer have the services of Gelinas and Ortmeyer I think we improved the team compared to having a couple of Admirals playing down the stretch.

Now to say that we didn't upgrade over what we had 2 weeks ago I would agree with.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I really hope we still make a pass for Jokinen this offseason. I highly doubt he will be in Florida next year. He would really solidfy our forwards. Not that I have any confidence in Poile even considering it.

Wish we had dangled Zidlciky. Campbell got a ****load. Granted, Campbell is in a class above Z, but he's also a UFA at seasons end. Someone like Colorado or Philly would've paid a big price for him.

We missed our opportunity to trade Suter. This offseason, people are going to be hesitant to do it, because they will fear the offer sheet.

Prospal would've been easy to get. No excuses.

We have some of the most assets in the league, and Poile has no clue what to do with them. Last year, I would say we had the MOST assets in the leaugue, and we have pretty much have nothing to show for it. This is why Washington fired Poile. He's able to build a decent team, but he can't take them to the next level.

I anticpate Klein will get an offer sheet this offseason, for a little over a million. We won't match, and our compensation will be a 3rd rd pick.

I am gonna disagree with almost everything you said

we couldnt "dangle" Z unless we knew he would waive his NTC.

why would anyone be more afraid of Suter being lost to an offer sheet this summer than they would now, with 18 games to play? an RFA is retainable, if you want him bad enough. Suter is still tradeable, most likely once he gets a QO and goes through arbitration and signs for one year at reasonable money. then a team can trade for him knowing they have him a full year and he is still an RFA.

prospal could have been done if you were satisfied with a rental, because apparently he rejected an extension with us and thats why poile passed. so yes, there are 'excuses'. you whine about having nothing to show for the assets we spent last year (on forsberg) but sound like you wanted us to do the same with prospal.

like i said, poile isnt gonna get dumped on by me unless he sits tight this summer and we bring this same roster back next fall.

Old
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd rather wait and see what's out there before we committed to an iffy and inconsistent Prospal for NEXT year as well. If we truly wanted him beyond a rental, I'm gald we didn't get him.

He seems to suck everywhere that's not Tampa.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I am gonna disagree with almost everything you said

we couldnt "dangle" Z unless we knew he would waive his NTC.

why would anyone be more afraid of Suter being lost to an offer sheet this summer than they would now, with 18 games to play? an RFA is retainable, if you want him bad enough. Suter is still tradeable, most likely once he gets a QO and goes through arbitration and signs for one year at reasonable money. then a team can trade for him knowing they have him a full year and he is still an RFA.

prospal could have been done if you were satisfied with a rental, because apparently he rejected an extension with us and thats why poile passed. so yes, there are 'excuses'. you whine about having nothing to show for the assets we spent last year (on forsberg) but sound like you wanted us to do the same with prospal.

like i said, poile isnt gonna get dumped on by me unless he sits tight this summer and we bring this same roster back next fall.
There is no comparing Prospal and Forsberg. Prospal cost a scrub defensive prospect. I'm not proposing we should've got Hossa. I really have no want for Prospal after this season, but let's face, we're desperate for someone with some offense. Now, that hole appears that it's going to be filled by Jan Hlavac. Brings us back to the days of Petr Tenkrat and Marian Cisar.

I'm of the belief that Zidlicky should be moved, for the betterment of the team. He does some good things, but his gaffs are costly. That is amplified in the playoffs. Not to mention that we could've gotten a lot for him. Sure, we would've had to get him to waive his NTC.

Why would someone want Suter now? Because teams have a real need for him RIGHT NOW. Boston, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Philly,etc. Sure, they may be interested in the offseason, but the desperation is not there. Plus, they can go out and get someone like Redden or someone to fill the hole. I guarantee his trade value is higher pre-deadline than it would be this offseason.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Statesman

Just read Julie Robenhymer's take of the Preds trade deadline performance on her Hockey Buzz blog titled "Who rocked my socks......

"Nashville Predators - I thought they were looking to make a big splash?? more like a "plunk"...

Where did she ever come up with the idea that the Preds were going to be major players just before the trade deadline???Poile has said all along that he would probably just do some tweaking---no rentals.If Ort and Gelinas hadn't got hurt recently---the Preds might have done nothing yesterday.

Her take just seems odd to me and inconsistant to what Poile has said all along.Oh well--I guess she felt like she had to say something.

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
Just read Julie Robenhymer's take of the Preds trade deadline performance on her Hockey Buzz blog titled "Who rocked my socks......

"Nashville Predators - I thought they were looking to make a big splash?? more like a "plunk"...

Where did she ever come up with the idea that the Preds were going to be major players just before the trade deadline???Poile has said all along that he would probably just do some tweaking---no rentals.If Ort and Gelinas hadn't got hurt recently---the Preds might have done nothing yesterday.

Her take just seems odd to me and inconsistant to what Poile has said all along.Oh well--I guess she felt like she had to say something.
Someone needs to tell that puck bunny to go pound sand

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Now that the trading deadline is over, how do you think David Poile did? Give a letter grade to his performance based purely on your own criteria and justify it.

I'll post mine after we get a few samples. I don't want to taint the result since I'm the one asking the question.
Thanks for all the replies (especially Stranger's long, yet insightful and fully explained post - I really enjoyed reading that and understood exactly what you were saying).

My grade for Poile is a C+.

I wasn't expecting a big move and have actually been laughing at most of the names attached to us in the past couple of months. I was afraid we would try to make a big splash and overpay for a piece to the puzzle we simply couldn't afford at this time both in terms of prospects/players/picks and money and would wind up hurting the long-term future of the franchise. Thankfully we didn't do that and Poile remained true to his course this season continuing with the semi-rebuild and simply replacing the depth that we lost over the past week.

Poile did meet expectations and did not hurt the team in the least by dealing away our 7th round pick and future considerations. Therefore, my grade began automatically at a C. However, he acquired a player (Hlavac) who has scored 20+ goals in the league and recently played with Erat during the lockout in the Czech Republic. Hlavac actually fits very well with Erat on the other wing and probably IMO would have been a trade target regardless of the injuries to Gelinas and Ortmeyer simply to give us another option to get that line going. I will be interested to see how he works out. It is for the acquistion of Hlavac that he gets the "+".

Honestly, I'm not really sure how Bochenski fits into the lineup. I remember his great year with Ottawa's AHL affiliate in Binghamton and then his incredible training camp the following season that earned him a roster spot only to be immediately swapped down to the fourth line and stumble all the way out of the organization a season later. Obviously Bochenski, much like Peverley, needs to play with a talented playmaker to maximize his potential and I simply don't know where he is going to fit in and get that ice time here. My only guess is that he gets a shot on the wing with Nichol and Tootoo and told to sink or swim??? Bochenski is an upgrade over Ortmeyer right now. As much as I like Jed, he cannot score and his defense first approach is very redunant on this team. Jed will fight back and make a contribution next season, but right now the need is for scoring and Bochenski can easily trump Ortmeyer in that regard.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
^ Not sure how Bochunski will fit into your line up, either -

From what I saw of him as a Bruin, he was/is more of an AHL goal scorer - he just hasn't transferred his game over -

he attmepted to bulk up over this summer 'to be a powerforward' but he just doesn't have any animosity in his game - so all it did was slow him down - I guess he is back down to his normal weight - but he either needs chemistry or to be in the AHL - because him on your 3rd 4th lines won't be productive, imo

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
PredsMan

The thing I always try to remember in the woulda/shoulda/coulda debate:

Sometimes the deals that don't get made, end up being the best ones.

And along with that, everything is for sale, at the right price.

Meaning, someone could have a nice 1968 VW beetle, and it's worth about $1k in the real world. But, the owner could be extremely attached to it, it's his prized posession, and you couldn't pry it out of his hands for $10k. You have to know when to walk away.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:49 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
The second line is starting to show some signs of life. Are people starting to feel comfortable with the addition of Hlavac, cautiously optimistic, or still pessimistic and still not happy.

I know it's still early but being a generally optimistic person I am between comfortable and cautious about the second line. I also like the fact that we actually upgraded Orts roster spot with the pick up of Bochenski. This way if Hlavac doesn't work on the second line Boch is much more likely to help there than Orts was. This will also allow us to leave the third and fourth lines together.

It will be interesting to watch over the next month.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote