HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa to Pit

View Poll Results: What would you do, if this was Gainey's night?
a) applaud for the great years as a player 95 54.29%
b) Politely applaud for the great man and not so bad GM 21 12.00%
c) Stand still and just listen politely 29 16.57%
d) Boo like there's no tomorrow 30 17.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Turcotte View Post
Overpayment for a rental. In Bob I trust.
very good point. habs fans should not be mad at gainey IMO he was smart not trading away the future for a rental/high priced UFA, that is something only the leafs do. besides this habs team is still very young and they already look awesome. as soon as price comes into his own the habs are going to be a force to reckon with.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
katieboo

hahahaha!!! potential "tampa bay north"
maguire made me feel happy

Old
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
I'll be rooting for the Pens to go out in the first round.

Old
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

so Crosby lost his best buddy = pissed off

Malkin will lose the spotlight and #1 center = pissed off

=

Crosby + Malkin fight within the next 2 weeks

Old
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
ari1160

now hossa has join the """crying baby"""

Old
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"freE" means 9M a year. Least we don't give up anyone, just a truckload of money.

I do think he would go for 7M a year, which is not bad at all.
I think Hossa is one of the few players in the league who is worth 7 million.

That's why I think his agent will wind up getting him 8+.

Old
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
According to P. McGuire:

Gainey had a deal with Atlanta for Hossa & Hedberg vs three Habs. This is why they agreed to get rid of Huet early in the morning with WAS. Then ATL got a call from PIT and went back to MTL to ask them for three NEW players since PIT's deal seemed to be better...a "can you match this?" kind of deal. I believe Higgins, Ryder, one of the Kostitsyn's & either McDonagh/Pacioretty or the next Mtl #1 pick were the new options and Gainey obviously said go ***** yourself. Still he kind of got screwed with the goalie situation in WAS but can't really go public about it. Among the GM of the league's though Waddell's name is most probably being tarnished at the moment for changing his mind at the last minute on a done deal.

...of course I said Hossa would be a Hab 2 weeks ago so I do not have any credibility.

Old
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Among the GM of the league's though Waddell's name is most probably being tarnished at the moment for changing his mind at the last minute on a done deal.
Good, his reputation will be tarnished in house (when they find that none of the players he got back were of any impact) and around the league for his actions.

Old
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
znk

Quote:
According to P. McGuire:

Gainey had a deal with Atlanta for Hossa & Hedberg vs three Habs. This is why they agreed to get rid of Huet early in the morning with WAS. Then ATL got a call from PIT and went back to MTL to ask them for three NEW players since PIT's deal seemed to be better...a "can you match this?" kind of deal. I believe Higgins, Ryder, one of the Kostitsyn's & either McDonagh/Pacioretty or the next Mtl #1 pick were the new options and Gainey obviously said go ***** yourself. Still he kind of got screwed with the goalie situation in WAS but can't really go public about it. Among the GM of the league's though Waddell's name is most probably being tarnished at the moment for changing his mind at the last minute on a done deal.

...of course I said Hossa would be a Hab 2 weeks ago so I do not have any credibility.
That would make alot of sense and would be in keeping with what sevil and ferrisfox told us.

Old
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Rayne*

27 voted for booing like there's no tomorrow? You all fail at life.

Old
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
so Crosby lost his best buddy = pissed off

Malkin will lose the spotlight and #1 center = pissed off

=

Crosby + Malkin fight within the next 2 weeks
Crosby finally has a winger to play with = happy as hell

Malkin not caring who is the #1 centre and only wanting a Cup = happy as hell

Old
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
According to P. McGuire:

I'm no lawyer by any mean. But I thought a verbal agreement (ie: saying done deal) could stand as a contract in a court? (Dunno if I'm clear...). I wonder if Bob had taped their negociations if he could have gotten some picks (or some sort of Scott Stevens compensation). That would be just funny.

--

Did you guys see the interview with Hossa in Pittsburgh today (after the training I think? He was in the lockerroom).

"Well I thought I was going to Canada...(looks sad not to be there)... but anyway, Pens made an offer and I'm happy to be here..."

Old
02-27-2008, 06:00 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Am I the only one who thinks that Pittsburgh could have improved more by getting an impact D-man like Campbell or Foote? They have more room to improve at this position than up front, don't you think?

Old
02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Gainey was a better goal scorer than a GM.
I agree...

A Gainey hat trick....

1 goal , 1 pass , 1 bad trade

Old
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
According to P. McGuire:

Why would Waddel ask for Higgins, McDonagh and AK when Pittsburg was offering 2 third liners with low potentiel, 1 bust and a high 1st round pick???

This speculation is a total non-sense.

Old
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
I agree...

A Gainey hat trick....

1 goal , 1 pass , 1 bad trade
And the Cyrrus147 hat trick, 3 stupid posts?

Old
02-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
And the Cyrrus147 hat trick, 3 stupid posts?
I m sure you can find a better insult.

Old
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
znk

The list of shame.....

Astaroth, BeginHands, blah141, Bostonfan32, bruins4life81, Calculon, Cyrrus147, DieHardHabs, DrMailloux, gwilled, Instant Rayman, Jean-Guy Drouin, joefish, Kovalev the Great, Mahtisonni, Marshy's, NewBlood, ottsens08, phantommullet, Renato, Rp477, RT89, Sir Jacques Demers, spanky4681, Stefan, the_crippler12, tonniar .rm, tooocoool, V4D3R, vampiro

You guys need to get a ****ing clue.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Did you guys see the interview with Hossa in Pittsburgh today (after the training I think? He was in the lockerroom).

"Well I thought I was going to Canada...(looks sad not to be there)... but anyway, Pens made an offer and I'm happy to be here..."
Interesting, here are a few more from another interview...

“It was exciting to be on the ice,” Hossa said. “There is a lot of talent here. This is a highly professional team”

"Can't wait to play with Crosby, Pittsburgh was a great surprise"

"Haven't talked to Crosby yet"

"Practice was great because I was the smallest guy on the line with Staal and Malone, felt comfortable"

"What a jump in the standings!" (chuckles)

Old
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
I'm no lawyer by any mean. But I thought a verbal agreement (ie: saying done deal) could stand as a contract in a court? (Dunno if I'm clear...). I wonder if Bob had taped their negociations if he could have gotten some picks (or some sort of Scott Stevens compensation). That would be just funny.

--

In the eyes of the league, both teams have to submit a trade to the league office - and the league office has to verify that what each team submitted is exactly the same. Then, at that point, it's considered a done deal. A verbal agreement, a handshake, whatever, that means nothing in the eyes of the league.

What tripped things up yesterday is they had agreed in principle on a deal for Hossa. That was at about 1:15. They continued to discuss the possibility of expanding the trade to include Bobby Holik. Apparently they might have even discussed a third player - which I guess was Hedberg if that what Maguire said.

Ottawa had already dropped out, San Jose had already dropped out. At that point, they had time to talk because Montreal was essentially negotiating against themselves. Pittsburgh had never made a pitch and were never in the picture. When Shero called out of the blue and made his over-the-top offer, it scuttled everything and it appears Waddell saw blood in the water and went for the throat.

Reports vary as to what he asked for following the Pittsburgh offer, but by most accounts, he was suddenly asking for three current roster players and a draft pick. The deal they had agreed on only had one current roster player (believed to be Maxim Lapierre.)

Old
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Astaroth, BeginHands, blah141, Bostonfan32, bruins4life81, Calculon, Cyrrus147, DieHardHabs, DrMailloux, gwilled, Instant Rayman, Jean-Guy Drouin, joefish, Kovalev the Great, Mahtisonni, Marshy's, NewBlood, ottsens08, phantommullet, Renato, Rp477, RT89, Sir Jacques Demers, spanky4681, Stefan, the_crippler12, tonniar .rm, tooocoool, V4D3R, vampiro

You guys need to get a ****ing clue.
Thank you. Where have you been all my life? I was a failure in life until your providential advice reached me.

Considering I was actually at the game on saturday and cheered loudly like everyone else, it's pretty much besides the point.

Here's the thing; Gainey, the player, the individual; classy and probably beyond reproach.

As GM of the CH; very average. His UFA signings have been mostly horrendous (Smolinski, Kostopoulos, Dandenault, Brisebois, all scratches and dead weight against the cap. Let's not talk about Samsonov.) Kovalev was a good trade (even though he cost us the playoffs last year) so this deadline was his time to shine. He didn't. Oh I know he tried, but he didn't deliver.

I like how he's gone with the youth but that is mostly kudos to Timmins. So like I said average until now.

And he drove this city into a frenzy with his announcement to get an impact player; he chose to do so. And with what happened on trade deadline, I would have booed his lack of results.

Old
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Thank you. Where have you been all my life? I was a failure in life until your providential advice reached me.

Considering I was actually at the game on saturday and cheered loudly like everyone else, it's pretty much besides the point.

Here's the thing; Gainey, the player, the individual; classy and probably beyond reproach.

As GM of the CH; very average. His UFA signings have been mostly horrendous (Smolinski, Kostopoulos, Dandenault, Brisebois, all scratches and dead weight against the cap. Let's not talk about Samsonov.) Kovalev was a good trade (even though he cost us the playoffs last year) so this deadline was his time to shine. He didn't. Oh I know he tried, but he didn't deliver.

I like how he's gone with the youth but that is mostly kudos to Timmins. So like I said average until now.

And he drove this city into a frenzy with his announcement to get an impact player; he chose to do so. And with what happened on trade deadline, I would have booed his lack of results.
He didnt promise anything but said he was looking for an impact player. He went hard for Hossa but didnt over pay
You guys are crying like spoiled brats who tell their father he sucks because he didnt get them the present they wanted. The kids are to young and to immature to understand how hard the father tried to get that present and how much he would have loved to get it...but in the end he had to take a smart decision be a man and accept the anger.

If you guys think you are entiteld to boo the GM of the 7th team in the NHL, 3rd offence, team with the 2nd fewest regulation losses in the league...then you expose your self to the same kind of treatment and worst.

And I wont stop...you guys are a joke.

Old
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He didnt promise anything but said he was looking for an impact player. He went hard for Hossa but didnt over pay
You guys are crying like spoiled brats who tell their father he sucks because he didnt get them the present they wanted. The kids are to young and to immature to understand how hard the father tried to get that present and how much he would have loved to get it...but in the end he had to take a smart decision be a man and accept the anger.

If you guys think you are entiteld to boo the GM of the 7th team in the NHL, 3rd offence, team with the 2nd fewest regulation losses in the league...then you expose your self to the same kind of treatment and worst.

And I wont stop...you guys are a joke.
He said he was looking to add an impact player. In the montreal media. He didn't need to say ****. But he decided that he would do so; and all the implications that it entailed.

Oh I recognized that he tried. Good for him, but he ain't my dad and he didn't deliver. He's like the CEO of a company where I'm a minority shareholder (shared season ticketholder). If I'm dissatisfied with a decision, it is my right to voice it.

See, that's where me and you differ. I see a team that's on the cusp of being a contender and needed a little push before the playoffs. I mean he adressed none of the concerns we had ; secondary scoring (though that could be alleviated with the re-emergence of Higgins and Ryder), a shutdown center for the third line (this worries me the most going in the playoffs where matchups are inordinately more important than in the regular season), grit (again in the playoffs, it gets tighter) and reinforcing the defense ( Brisebois needs to be as fair away from the possibility of playing as possible. We don't want to be like Buffalo last year when they were playing Fitzpatrick in a top 4 role).

I'll gladly eat crow if we go deep, but I saw alot of holes and nothing was done to plug them.

Whatever, alot of people are satisfied with this being "not our year", and I can see that. But I don't agree; with the cap, it's like the NFL, anyone can make a run.

Old
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
He said he was looking to add an impact player. In the montreal media. He didn't need to say ****. But he decided that he would do so; and all the implications that it entailed.

Oh I recognized that he tried. Good for him, but he ain't my dad and he didn't deliver. He's like the CEO of a company where I'm a minority shareholder (shared season ticketholder). If I'm dissatisfied with a decision, it is my right to voice it.
So if he had traded away Higgins on the deadline to rent Marian Hossa you would have been happy with that choice?

Old
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Why would Waddel ask for Higgins, McDonagh and AK when Pittsburg was offering 2 third liners with low potentiel, 1 bust and a high 1st round pick???

This speculation is a total non-sense.
That's the beauty of it all...

Waddell figured that with all the rumours of Hossa being a Hab + the Habs playing at home + Hossa a few hundred feet from the Habs dressing room.

Hossa to the Habs was basically a done deal, this was reported by people in the media and a deal was thought to be imminent, much like how everyone knew Richards was going to Dallas

He figured Gainey would be willing to overpay (grossly overpay in this instance)...Gainey didn't bite

Closed Thread