HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Compression Shorts

Old
02-28-2008, 02:45 AM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Compression Shorts

I recently injured my groin a couple weeks ago. It's not bad to the point I can't play but by the end of the 2nd period and the 3rd it starts to really bother me. I was told that compression shorts may work, anyone have any experience with them?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I wear them every game. I pulled my groin last year and I started wearing them then...I won't play without them now.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I recently injured my groin a couple weeks ago. It's not bad to the point I can't play but by the end of the 2nd period and the 3rd it starts to really bother me. I was told that compression shorts may work, anyone have any experience with them?
Some of the standard compression shorts really don't provide enough compression to make a difference. You need to get CoreShorts, specially designed for precisely the problem you have. They are grey and black with diagonal inserts that address the areas that need extra support.

But compression shorts are only a band-aid. If you are having groin or abdominal issues or, heaven forbid, the dreaded sports hernia that is so prevalent in hockey today, you need to find out the source of the problem. Often, it is poor flexibility or tight hip flexors. The more you stretch the hip flexors the better chance of the muscles all firing in the proper sequence. If the hip flexors tighten up and shut down, all the pressure of the skating movement goes to the groin and abs and causing strains and tearing.

If you can, go to a good sports chiropractor/soft tissue or massage therapist and ensure your lower back, hips etc. are not locked up and directing all the stress onto your groin. Stretching is the key to staying healthy in hockey. Stretch a lot, improve your flexibility and the chances of self-induced injury are far, far less. And, believe it or not, you will skate better too. Poor skaters generally have flexibility issues. If you improve flexibility, you improve your stride.

Been there, done that, with this whole issue and my son has had the sports hernia surgery to prove it. Stretching is the way to go. But the CoreShorts -- and they come in a lighter model and a heavier duty model -- are terrific. They're made by a Vancouver based company.

BobMckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wear the ShockDoctor's but like the previous poster said they aren't that tight where your groin will suddenly feel better.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote