HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

An unnoticed deal

Old
02-27-2008, 03:34 AM
StanAjax

vCash: 500
An unnoticed deal

With the Huet shocker and the Hossa thriller, a deal that I would have wanted Gainey to do flew under the radar. I would have more than welcomed in Montréal, especially for the not too steep price he went for, Ruslan Salei.

In my books, he would have been that top 4 defenseman needed : can log a lot of minutes, has a reputation of being sound defensively and can play a physical game.

Colorado got him for Skrastins and a 3rd. I'm sure a Dandenault and a 2nd/3rd would have been interesting for the Panthers.

I did not follow closely the Panthers this season (or any other team than the Habs for that matter), so am I overrating Salei's status at the moment ? 'Cos he did look on paper like the perfect player to complete our D squad.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
With the Huet shocker and the Hossa thriller, a deal that I would have wanted Gainey to do flew under the radar. I would have more than welcomed in Montréal, especially for the not too steep price he went for, Ruslan Salei.

In my books, he would have been that top 4 defenseman needed : can log a lot of minutes, has a reputation of being sound defensively and can play a physical game.

Colorado got him for Skrastins and a 3rd. I'm sure a Dandenault and a 2nd/3rd would have been interesting for the Panthers.

I did not follow closely the Panthers this season (or any other team than the Habs for that matter), so am I overrating Salei's status at the moment ? 'Cos he did look on paper like the perfect player to complete our D squad.
Skrastins is a lot better than Dandy. Skrastins is a better version of Bouillon. We don't really have a comparable player, but I guess a bigger Bouillon would be th ebest way to describe him.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:01 AM
StanAjax

I know Skrastins is a way more reliable d-man than Dandenault. Still, I believe Dandenault's reputation outside Montreal didn't suffer too much, and he still has that impressive resume from his Red Wings days. The trade could have been Bouillon and a 2nd if you think it's more fair, or with completely different players that would interest Florida more. My point is that, value wise, we could have afforded Salei.

When I saw the trade, I instantly thought : "That's a trade we could and should have done." I just wanted to know if my opinion was shared, and if the Hossa obsession made us miss this one.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:39 AM
Marksman

Dandenault isnt even playing defence anymore ... I think Panthers would know that.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Adam Foote for me, but...I think they had to give up a lot (1 or 2 First Rounders? conditional for one of either 2008 or 2009? not sure? and a conditional 4th rounder?). I'd like for us to hold on to our 1st Rounders 'cause with Timmins et compagnie it is paying dividends (ex: Pacioretty, McDonagh...).
Also...I would have liked to add Mike Commodore (already taken earlier by Ottawa). Mike would/could have been a nice addition too, imo...2 big Mikes! (Komisarek and Commodore). Anyways...we have big Ryan O'Byrne with lots, lots of potential...

And/but, no regrets (for trade deadline) since we have a solid, YOUNG (& extremely entertaining) team that can surprise and win a lot, and we will all be happy come draft day (we still have our 1st, 2nd round draft picks...). Our team is darn good, darn young, and we still have all our picks AND sooooo many STAR prospects who are not that far away (Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Pavelenko, McDonagh, maybe Emelin?...).

I like our top 6 D, and/but...with Foote, we could have added experience/grit/size/toughness, etc, but...Gorges and O'Byrne will gain more experience now, I'm happy for 'em .
Who is our #7 D? Brisebois? I'd prefer J-P Cote...give him a few games before the playoffs, no? Wait...!!!! I forgot that Streit can be #6-#7 and/or Dandenault!! (not bad for depth on D).

For now I really like:
Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges

Go Habs Go
Go Price Go
Go Halak Go

p.s.: I'm VERY, VERY surprised Chicago gave Carolina Tuomo Ruutu (spelling?) for Andrew Ladd. I thought Tuomo's value was worth 2 Ladds, no? Latendresse...? Isn't he (sorta!) in the Ladd category? 'Cause I'd do that trade for Tuomo, but not too many Montrealers would appreciate it. IMO...Koivu would
Good post

I thought Colorado did well to pick up Foote. He is known throughout the team during their championship days (they seem to think they can reclaim the magic lol)
I agree though it wasnt our trade to make due to Timmins and Co.'s spectacular drafting record... Montreal has been built from within. Im glad we didnt trade off a whole crap load of prospects/picks for many of the guys that were dealt...
If I could have 3 players however, I would have to say my 3 favourite deals from yesterday were:

Chris Simon for a 6th. > We could have used his abrasiveness, and his timely scoring touch for our bottom lines. Many MAY disagree, but I still feel we BADLY need a policeman out there (sice the 6-1 drubbing at the hands of the Sens).
This CAN be rectified if we can score Laraque or Simon in the summer...

Federov for Ted Ruth > Mon dieu... Who is Ruth? Serg is definately still a gamer (even if he has lost a step). A great playoff warrior, and IMO would have been great quality to pick up for a long term propect... I would still love to see Sergei in a Habs uniform some day

Brad Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th> IMO a great partner for Hamr going in to playoffs.
LA's picks are much higher, however Stuart IMO would make our top 6 much better, and IMO his game provides us chemistry with our Roman soldier.

Glad that I wasnt reading we got Hossa for what was given... Olli Jokinen would have been nice, but from what I gather, Fla didnt seem as interested in dealing him as we all assumed they were...

Sad Huet is gone though... Looking at a bright future with Price/Halak tough

Tuomo hasnt been the same player since his injuries... IMO Carolina is going to be sad once Ladd comes together... He's a very underrated player right now...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Capitano

I liked the Bergeron pickup by Anaheim.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Also...I would have liked to add Mike Commodore (already taken earlier by Ottawa). Mike would/could have been a nice addition too, imo...2 big Mikes! (Komisarek and Commodore). Anyways...we have big Ryan O'Byrne with lots, lots of potential...
I always thought it would be funny to have Mike Komisarek, Mike Commodore, and Mike Comrie on the same team. Imagine listening to Yvon...

I agree Foote would have been a nice pickup for us, but not at the price the Avs paid.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Skrastins is a lot better than Dandy. Skrastins is a better version of Bouillon. We don't really have a comparable player, but I guess a bigger Bouillon would be th ebest way to describe him.
uhh he's really not, Skrastins was a healthy scratch for 20 some odd games for the Avs, that says a lot considering how shallow Colorado's D is. I've watched a many of Avs games and this guy is average on his best day...anyway

Getting Salei would of been a really nice quiet pickup.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Artie

I agree with Salei.

The 2 other names that moved that I thought could really help us: Salvador and Stuart.

I still think an Andre Roy would have been handy down the stretch, especially with the # of games we still have against the Sens.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
otto bond

IMO,Big Bob never look elsewhere. He wanted hossa and him only. It's the only reason i can think for no other movement. Yhe price skyrocketed and Bog pull out. Good job cause The PEns overpayed for a rental. Giving if....if they sighn him, well it will be a different story. That would had been a bigger gamble for MTL. In Montreal, it great to win but to loose!!!

Great day to be a habs fan

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 06:10 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I agree Salei or Stuart would have been ok smaller deals. Bob wants to set the Habs up for a cup run

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
I agree Salei or Stuart would have been ok smaller deals. Bob wants to set the Habs up for a cup run
Has anyone see Stuart play? He's like 28 and the worst defensive defenseman in hockey. He's worse than Bergeron for crying out loud.

Salei would of be okay.

Salvador was the best option.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote