HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Jody Shelley and San Jose Versus the Jackets, Wednesday Feb 27, 7p at the Nat

Old
02-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPuckPlayer View Post
I suppose everyone in Columbus knows the NHL rulebook inside and out.
I didn't mean this to be an areal comment, but just peoples' general obliviousness when it comes to hockey.

I live in basketfo-hio. (Basketball-football). So the whole thing makes me a little edgy.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I think Hitch was holding back in the press conference, but he didn't seem too happy with the moves. i don't think he wanted this team broken up in the least. he said something like "we were right in the damn playoff race and this was very bad timing" doesn't sound like a guy that is in favor of the moves to me. i hope Z doesn't go back to the old Z now that his mentor and best friend was shipped away for nothing.
Your interpretation is your interpretation and I'm going to let you own it ... all I'd like to know is where you came with the idea that Sergei and Z were best friends?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Pluck are you really from the Vatican City?

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Pluck are you really from the Vatican City?
:makes the sign of the cross:

Aren't we all, my child?

(nah, not "really.")

Old
02-28-2008, 03:39 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
And someone on a SJ commercial just described icing as "when someone throws the puck out there, and they don't have anyone there to get it... Or something."

Brilliant. Did the puck go out of bounds and someone has to stick it back in?

Go watch basketball.
Talk about missing the point of the commercial completely

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 03:40 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
..."we were right in the damn playoff race and this was very bad timing"
I would love for the Blue Jackets to be in the playoffs, but how in the blue hell can
ANYBODY think we were going 14-4 and make the playoffs? We could've traded for Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin and Zetterberg and wouldn't go 14-4.

Quote:
...i hope Z doesn't go back to the old Z now that his mentor and best friend was shipped away for nothing
I think it's been pretty well documented that Fedorov was never a mentor and never Zherdev's best friend. If Zherdev regresses it is his own damn fault.

Here's a cat for you:

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
I would love for the Blue Jackets to be in the playoffs, but how in the blue hell can
ANYBODY think we were going 14-4 and make the playoffs? We could've traded for Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin and Zetterberg and wouldn't go 14-4.
Hitch was clearly disturbed by something. It seems to me that comment either had to be directed at Howson, or Foote. Given what we've heard from Foote's mouth and Howson's explanation ... I am going to guess that Howson asked Foote to stay and finish the season with the team he was captaining and Foote said "only for an extra million." Foote has every right to sell himself ... Howson has every right to refuse purchase. The people who got hurt most were the ones who had no power or say and were caught in the crossfire - the Jacket team.

Old
02-28-2008, 05:30 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I still think playoffs are unlikely. But as I pointed out throughout this game, if they were going to have a chance, last night was the night to get into position. Most of the teams they were trying to catch lost. We could have been 3 points behind Nashville who we have 2 games against at the end of the month.

Every time there's been a chance to edge closer, the Jackets seem to take a pass on it. You can't do that over and over and have any thought that you're going to make the playoffs.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
WapakJacketsFan

The game......What to say.

Was nice to see Shelly back in the Nat again. Albeit, in the wrong damn sweater, but hey, least he was back.

The officiating was bad, and thank God for Hitch calling it out as well. Every time we get McGeaugh <sp?> on one of our games, we are going to get screwed on a few calls. My husband is probably real tired of hearing me yell about the man.

But even with the refs calling every single thing our way, I don't think the guys had it in them tonight. Except maybe Boll, who is always ready and willing to hit things.

And where the hell did Vybes come from? Actually in the right spot, right time, Mr Johnny On The Spot as Gare kept calling him last night.

It was also nice to see Nash drop the gloves. No, I don't think he should be doing it all the time, every game. But it was good to see some sort of emotion out of him. Murray was a pest all night, and got rocked by Boll.Somehow, that didn't teach him his lesson. Good on Nash for stepping up.

And finally, it was hella nice to hear Hitch actually talk about the players as NOT being simple assets and commodities for the team to buy, sell and trade and the fans to love or boo. Him saying that the guys were shocked and in a fog means at least he realizes they are normal human beings and were just hit in the gut and now have to deal with it. I like his attitude though, that he will find a way to refocus them and it will happen. But at least he realizes they need time to figure this crap out, just like the rest of us.

WapakJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
elisalou

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapakJacketsFan View Post
The game......What to say.

Was nice to see Shelly back in the Nat again. Albeit, in the wrong damn sweater, but hey, least he was back.

The officiating was bad, and thank God for Hitch calling it out as well. Every time we get McGeaugh <sp?> on one of our games, we are going to get screwed on a few calls. My husband is probably real tired of hearing me yell about the man.

But even with the refs calling every single thing our way, I don't think the guys had it in them tonight. Except maybe Boll, who is always ready and willing to hit things.

And where the hell did Vybes come from? Actually in the right spot, right time, Mr Johnny On The Spot as Gare kept calling him last night.

It was also nice to see Nash drop the gloves. No, I don't think he should be doing it all the time, every game. But it was good to see some sort of emotion out of him. Murray was a pest all night, and got rocked by Boll.Somehow, that didn't teach him his lesson. Good on Nash for stepping up.

And finally, it was hella nice to hear Hitch actually talk about the players as NOT being simple assets and commodities for the team to buy, sell and trade and the fans to love or boo. Him saying that the guys were shocked and in a fog means at least he realizes they are normal human beings and were just hit in the gut and now have to deal with it. I like his attitude though, that he will find a way to refocus them and it will happen. But at least he realizes they need time to figure this crap out, just like the rest of us.
Well said.
I watched this game from home. I was so tempted to go- but my husband was out of town and I didn't want to take all the kiddos on my own.

They played just as I expected. Pissed off and down. I agree it was good to see emotion from Nash, and Boll- he rocks! Not sure what happened to Z?

They will pull it together- I really believe we will get a great team out of all of this. And I am willing to wait for it.

elisalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I'm with ya E Lou -

and if you see me waivering from that position, please bring me back.

I talked to Howson for a sec.. he said it is his job to make the tough decisions.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Hey dru do you care if I use one? or if anyone else uses them?
Of course, take whatever you want. Anything to get rid of Brad Richards senior picture.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Vybs got two "look what I found" garbage goals, I would hardly say that he played well overall. Even Chimera could have scored those two goals. I'll take 15 more of those from him but let's all take it easy on saying that he played well and that he's back. And I hope someone knocks him on his butt if he takes off his glove again, hot dogging after scoring his first goal in 25 games.
Anytime a guy goes to the net, puts away rebounds, and scores 2 goals in a night, he played well. I don't care if its Alex Ovechkin, 2 goals = played well in my book, period.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Someone earlier dismissed Vybes goals as lucky/easy (I think the exact words were "Even Chimera could have scored that.") But isn't this what we've been missing all year? Someone to camp out in front of the goal and chip in rebounds? Maybe Vybes didn't camp out, but at least he was circling around in the area.

It seems that's what we need.

More of.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

And I have no confidence that Chimmer could have scored either of them, since they were both on the backhand and required timing and touch!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisalou View Post
Well said.
I Not sure what happened to Z?
Anybody think he may be missing feds more than anybody else. Feds was brought in to mentor Z, serve as an interpretor and so on. While much of the team is morning the loss of Footer, I think Z is probably taking the loss of Feds extra hard.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I seem to recall that Nikki rejected Feds as both a mentor and a friend - the age gap was too great, I think. That said, I'm sure he'll miss someone who shares his native culture and language. Nik just had a bad game, last night, let's hope he shakes it off and returns to the form he's shown most of the year.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:14 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I seem to recall that Nikki rejected Feds as both a mentor and a friend - the age gap was too great, I think. That said, I'm sure he'll miss someone who shares his native culture and language. Nik just had a bad game, last night, let's hope he shakes it off and returns to the form he's shown most of the year.
Nik wasn't the only one. To me, the kid has shown mental toughness this year. I expect him to be back on-game shortly.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I
I think it's been pretty well documented that Fedorov was never a mentor and never Zherdev's best friend. If Zherdev regresses it is his own damn fault.
Or any of them for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hitch was clearly disturbed by something. It seems to me that comment either had to be directed at Howson, or Foote. Given what we've heard from Foote's mouth and Howson's explanation ... The people who got hurt most were the ones who had no power or say and were caught in the crossfire - the Jacket team.
Quote:
I made a sarcastic comment in another thread about th players being properties or commodities or something. Truth is, I've always erred on the side of giving players' non-hockey lives the benefit of the doubt.

But if indeed Hitch is giving the players an out for potential poor play by blaming it on their love and affection for certain players and being blindsided by the trades, that's the wrong card, IMO. I know he's made some "guys need to step up" challenges, but even that smacks of "because someone has to take the place of the guys we lost." While that might be true from a leadership standpoint, Hitch should be playing it thusly "Those guys were our teammates and we've gone to battle with them, but I have confidence that the guys in this room have what it takes to get the job done the way it needs to be." If we're going to continue to believe the propaganda that Hitch doesn't show undue favor to vets, he needs to change his tune and fast.

Old
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Your interpretation is your interpretation and I'm going to let you own it ... all I'd like to know is where you came with the idea that Sergei and Z were best friends?
From a friend of mine that is a bartender at Gordon Biersch and said they were in there together 2-3 times a week drinking for hours, alone. Perhaps best friends was an assumption but a reasonable one considering the information I was given.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Someone earlier dismissed Vybes goals as lucky/easy (I think the exact words were "Even Chimera could have scored that.") But isn't this what we've been missing all year? Someone to camp out in front of the goal and chip in rebounds? Maybe Vybes didn't camp out, but at least he was circling around in the area.

It seems that's what we need.

More of.
Getting in close and paying the price to be there is half the battle and Vyborny was more willing to do that last night than anyone else on the team it seems.

I guess what most excites me is that his confidence has to be better after that second goal, which was a pretty deft backhander.....vintage Vyborny.

I think we'll see him back between Nash and Modin at least for another game or two, and if the scoring continues...well, who here wouldn't want to see the old Vyborny back in form and signed to another 3 years at his normal bargain price?

Old
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
... but I have confidence that the guys in this room have what it takes to get the job done the way it needs to be."
I think Hitch has said this, or words to that effect, in at least two interviews that I've seen recently.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's what I had thought a few years ago, I think Z rejected everyone back then but they have obviously mended that friendship and he has accepted it if they are hanging all the time.

Old
02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Anytime a guy goes to the net, puts away rebounds, and scores 2 goals in a night, he played well. I don't care if its Alex Ovechkin, 2 goals = played well in my book, period.
I don't think that's accurate, he was in the right place at the right time for the first time in 64 games, law of averages says that will eventually happen. But I wouldn't say he played well overall. He gave the puck away alot, as usual, and didn't do anything else well. So I am happy if he starts scoring more, but I would not say that he played well. The only people that you can say that about were Boll and OKT, last night.

Old
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
I don't think that's accurate, he was in the right place at the right time for the first time in 64 games, law of averages says that will eventually happen. But I wouldn't say he played well overall. He gave the puck away alot, as usual, and didn't do anything else well. So I am happy if he starts scoring more, but I would not say that he played well. The only people that you can say that about were Boll and OKT, last night.
How many turn overs did he have? Because the boxscore says 0, and I can't say I remember seeing any. The first goal was oppurtunistic and Brule's shot was as much to be applauded as Vyborny's put away, but that second goal was a finesse back hander on a long rebound he had to coral in.