HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators Draft Talk\PantherWatch 2008

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Predators Draft Talk\PantherWatch 2008

UPDATED TO REFLECT STANDINGS AS OF THE END OF 3/7. The Panther have gone on a tear winning 3 in a row thanks to stellar goaltending by Craig Anderson, who has won two of those three games almost singlehandedly as the Cats were outplayed. He'll try to keep his streak going tonight as the Cats host the Thrashers. Despite that streak, the Panthers sit not closer to the playoffs than when the streak began. They remain 6 points out and they've played more games than any team in the East save for Carolina.

Just a quick update on the Panthers and that pick.

NAS 69 GP 35 W 26 L 8 OTL 78 PTS Playoffs
BOS 67 GP 35 W 25 L 7 OTL 77 PTS Playoffs
CAR 70 GP 36 W 29 L 5 OTL 77 PTS Playoffs
VAN 67 GP 33 W 24 L 10 OTL 76 PTS
PHI 68 GP 34 W 26 L 8 OTL 76 PTS Playoffs
PHO 68 GP 34 W 29 L 5 OTL 73 PTS
BUF 68 GP 32 W 27 L 9 OTL 73 PTS
CHI 68 GP 33 W 29 L 6 OTL 72 PTS
WAS 68 GP 32 W 28 L 8 OTL 72 PTS
NYI 69 GP 32 W 30 L 7 OTL 71 PTS
CLB 69 GP 30 W 28 L 11 OTL 71 PTS
TOR 69 GP 30 W 29 L 10 OTL 70 PTS
FLA 70 GP 31 W 31 L 8 OTL 70 PTS
EDM 68 GP 32 W 31 L 5 OTL 69 PTS
STL 67 GP 29 W 28 L 10 OTL 68 PTS
ATL 69 GP 30 W 32 L 7 OTL 67 PTS
TAM 68 GP 26 W 34 L 8 OTL 60 PTS
LAK 69 GP 27 W 37 L 5 OTL 59 PTS

Florida is sitting in 6th though all teams around them have games in hand.

Just a note or two about the Panthers:

Went to the Leafs/Cats game last night, and Predators fans should be so proud of their arena and its atmosphere. This isn't to knock the Panthers fans, but Predator fans are something special. There is just so much more electricity in Nashville than in most other markets. Whether it's the chants or the cheering, there just isn't as much going on in most other arenas.

The Panthers are a miserably bad hockey team on white ice. But they are very dangerous team because of their play in their own blue ice. Vokoun is incredible. If he had played this good in any of the past two seasons, he'd still be a Predator and we would be sitting comfortably in the fourth spot in the West.

I thought the Leafs outplayed the Panthers and really outchanced them in terms of quality chances. But Vokoun was a brick wall. He really kept the game from getting out of hand at times. I see Mason's performance last night and just shake my head. That move could end up definining the Preds for the next half decade as we go from goalie to goalie (Flyers style) just hoping to get some quality 'tending.

I think the Panthers suffer from the Blue Jackets syndrome. There's talent on this team. But they seem disorganized in their own zone. They do not handle speed well, not that Toronto had any on display. They don't play all that physical. And they are not near as a good as the sum of their parts would indicate. And you would think Jacques Martin, their answer to Hitchcock, would pull them out of it but he just hasn't. They are a ticking time bomb though. They will eventually figure it out. And they have Vokoun in the pipes, which means that they'll be a very good team when they get the rest of their issues straightened out.

As for the Cats making the playoffs, which would drastically alter the value of that pick, I cannot see it happening. They are only 6 points out with 16 games remaining, but they have no games in hand. And they are fighting a bunch of teams who all have games in hand on the Panthers. It just appears too much to ask for them to pull out a playoff berth.

And, suprisingly enough, that's almost a disappointment for me. I stood strong in cheering for the Leafs last night (a first for me), but I just couldn't help but pull for Vokoun at times. The whole episode gave me a bitter taste in my mouth, to say the least. Seeing him dominate as he did (and he's done this ALL season long as arguably the best goalie in the East), it's just so frustrating how our goalie situation has turned out.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 03-08-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post

CHI - 63 gp, 66 points
STL - 63 gp, 66 points
TO - 65 gp, 65 points
FLA - 66 gp, 64 points
EDM - 64 gp, 63 points
ATL - 64 gp, 62 points
TB - 63 gp, 57 points
LA - 64 gp, 56 points

Florida is sitting in 5th though all teams around them have games in hand.

Just a note or two about the Panthers:

Went to the Leafs/Cats game last night, and Predators fans should be so proud of their arena and its atmosphere. This isn't to knock the Panthers fans, but Predator fans are something special. There is just so much more electricity in Nashville than in most other markets. Whether it's the chants or the cheering, there just isn't as much going on in most other arenas.

The Panthers are a miserably bad hockey team on white ice. But they are very dangerous team because of their play in their own blue ice. Vokoun is incredible. If he had played this good in any of the past two seasons, he'd still be a Predator and we would be sitting comfortably in the fourth spot in the West.

I thought the Leafs outplayed the Panthers and really outchanced them in terms of quality chances. But Vokoun was a brick wall. He really kept the game from getting out of hand at times. I see Mason's performance last night and just shake my head. That move could end up definining the Preds for the next half decade as we go from goalie to goalie (Flyers style) just hoping to get some quality 'tending.

I think the Panthers suffer from the Blue Jackets syndrome. There's talent on this team. But they seem disorganized in their own zone. They do not handle speed well, not that Toronto had any on display. They don't play all that physical. And they are not near as a good as the sum of their parts would indicate. And you would think Jacques Martin, their answer to Hitchcock, would pull them out of it but he just hasn't. They are a ticking time bomb though. They will eventually figure it out. And they have Vokoun in the pipes, which means that they'll be a very good team when they get the rest of their issues straightened out.

As for the Cats making the playoffs, which would drastically alter the value of that pick, I cannot see it happening. They are only 6 points out with 16 games remaining, but they have no games in hand. And they are fighting a bunch of teams who all have games in hand on the Panthers. It just appears too much to ask for them to pull out a playoff berth.

And, suprisingly enough, that's almost a disappointment for me. I stood strong in cheering for the Leafs last night (a first for me), but I just couldn't help but pull for Vokoun at times. The whole episode gave me a bitter taste in my mouth, to say the least. Seeing him dominate as he did (and he's done this ALL season long as arguably the best goalie in the East), it's just so frustrating how our goalie situation has turned out.
Come on man! ... do you really want Poile to draft another defenseman ?

Old
02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Come on man! ... do you really want Poile to draft another defenseman ?
Well, Florida thought both they and Tampa were borderline playoff teams. So they probably thought they were giving away around the 20th overall pick and the 45-50th overall pick in the draft. If those two picks turn into the 3rd overall pick and the 31st overall pick, you think they wouldn't mind reversing the trade.

Old
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Well, Florida thought both they and Tampa were borderline playoff teams. So they probably thought they were giving away around the 20th overall pick and the 45-50th overall pick in the draft. If those two picks turn into the 3rd overall pick and the 31st overall pick, you think they wouldn't mind reversing the trade.
lets just re-title this the Official Draft Thread

Old
02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
lets just re-title this the Official Draft Thread
Good thinking.

Assuming that the Panthers don't get too hot, I think it's safe to assume their pick should be in the top 7. We've got a high 2nd that could be used to move up to say top 4 or 5, depending on who is picking in front of us and what they want.

With that pick...or really even staying put at 7, I could see us getting:

Wilson
Filatov
Beach
Hodgson

In order, I'd like to see us pick

Beach

Filatov
Wilson
Hodgson

OR

Say we're faced with a d-man that's too good to pass up...and we know that includes "most d-men" to our organization. Perhaps we select a Alex Pietreangelo or Drew Doughty...and then use Cody Franson or Jonathan Blum in a draft-day trade to secure immediate forward help.

Thoughts on all of this?

Old
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

just as long as we don't give up the pick that will be closer to the top 5 ... I'm down with trading one of our draft picks for an emerging top 6 winger (WITH SIZE)

Old
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
just as long as we don't give up the pick that will be closer to the top 5 ... I'm down with trading one of our draft picks for an emerging top 6 winger (WITH SIZE)
Who do you have in mind to trade for? And what would you be willing to give up?

Old
02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Who do you have in mind to trade for? And what would you be willing to give up?
Philly's Jeff Carter (6-3 200) 38 points (20g-18a) as the 3rd line center ... I wouldn't mind giving up one of our young dmen to get him ... hell, I'd give up Suter to get him ... and maybe I'd consider bringing John Paddock on board ... anything for a different point of view would be greatly appreciated (thats if the boys just miss the playoffs)

Old
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Who would be the emerging top 6 winger with size that you had in mind?

Old
02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Good thinking.

Assuming that the Panthers don't get too hot, I think it's safe to assume their pick should be in the top 7. We've got a high 2nd that could be used to move up to say top 4 or 5, depending on who is picking in front of us and what they want.

With that pick...or really even staying put at 7, I could see us getting:

Wilson
Filatov
Beach
Hodgson

In order, I'd like to see us pick

Beach

Filatov
Wilson
Hodgson

OR

Say we're faced with a d-man that's too good to pass up...and we know that includes "most d-men" to our organization. Perhaps we select a Alex Pietreangelo or Drew Doughty...and then use Cody Franson or Jonathan Blum in a draft-day trade to secure immediate forward help.

Thoughts on all of this?
Yeah expect this to happpen
Tylers Myers Defense Kelowna to Nashville with the 6th pick overall (From Florida)
John Carlson Defense Indiana, USHL to Nashville with the 12th pick overall
We'll Probably package Legwand, Erat and Radulov to aquire another pick say 20th
then Pick
Michael Del Zotto Defense Oshawa
then trade Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan. Tampa's 2ndrounder and Mason and draft
Jake Gardiner Defense High School, Minnesota

Then use the rest of the draft to bolster or defensive core After trading the Santorelli brothers, Hornqvist and Geoffrion for more picks

Last edited by Gnashville: 02-28-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old
02-29-2008, 01:31 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:

CHI - 63 gp, 66 points
STL - 63 gp, 66 points
TO - 65 gp, 65 points
FLA - 66 gp, 64 points
EDM - 64 gp, 63 points
ATL - 64 gp, 62 points
TB - 63 gp, 57 points
LA - 64 gp, 56 points

Florida is sitting in 5th though all teams around them have games in hand.
Didn't you just yell at Dulzhok for starting a thread about watching the Panthers/picks and them going on some hot streak, and now you've gone and done it yourself?

If we lose a top 10 pick, good job.

---------
Just please tell me that we draft a forward over 6ft tall.

Old
02-29-2008, 08:35 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Didn't you just yell at Dulzhok for starting a thread about watching the Panthers/picks and them going on some hot streak, and now you've gone and done it yourself?

If we lose a top 10 pick, good job.
No, I didn't. I commented after he got yelled at, but I was merely poking fun at the whole thing.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=471187

I don't believe in jinxing the Panthers. I'm the guy who mentions the word shutout 10 times in the final 5 minutes of a 1-0 game. I know my actions make no difference in the outcome of a hockey game.

I have a big ego, but it's not large enough to think I can affect the outcome of a season through a few message board posts.

But hell, while we are at it, I take full responsibility for the entire Cats season from here on out. If they go 0-16, I expect full marks from everyone. I expect a signed Stamkos jersey from David Poile and various other interesting hockey memorabilia. I'd like a shrine post erected in my honor, and would it be too much to ask to get a gold plated avatar?

Conversely, if we lose, I'll gladly be an Eklund like outcast who meanders from post to post begging for mercy and forgiveness.

Old
02-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Jarnberg

Here are the top 30 skaters and top 5 goaltenders as of February 20, 2008:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11183&hubname=

For reference of course.

Our two picks (with the assumption that we keep them or don't trade down) are likely to be in the top 16.

Skaters in the top 16:

7 - centers
6 - defensemen
3 - wingers

Last edited by Jarnberg: 02-29-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old
02-29-2008, 09:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Nikita Filatov is my hope. I know he doesn't have the size we're wanting but he can score, and seems like a very hard working good kid.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
My top two choices are Colin Wilson and Michel Boddeker honestly. Luke Schenn I would pick in a heartbeat if he slipped to us though and I know that that will upset many Predators fans.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:59 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Nikita Filatov is my hope. I know he doesn't have the size we're wanting but he can score, and seems like a very hard working good kid.
What's his game like? Is he your typical Russian forward?

I know we want size, but it doesn't look like one will be available with our first pick unless we go for Beach. RLR loves the Filatov kid.

Old
02-29-2008, 10:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

They say he's pretty fast but plays a good 2 way game and can score goals in bundles. He's also said he wanted to play in NA next year and speaks very good english.

Old
02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
They say he's pretty fast but plays a good 2 way game and can score goals in bundles. He's also said he wanted to play in NA next year and speaks very good english.
Will we be able to pry him from the RSL, or does he have a long term deal that will require a lot wrangling.

Old
02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Kings fan here, let's say the draft was tomorrow and the Kings end up with the 1st overall and the Panthers/Preds end up with the 4th overall pick, how does this deal sound...

1st overall
Michael Cammalleri

for

4th overall
Cody Franson
Jon Blum

Old
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Kings fan here, let's say the draft was tomorrow and the Kings end up with the 1st overall and the Panthers/Preds end up with the 4th overall pick, how does this deal sound...

1st overall
Michael Cammalleri

for

4th overall
Cody Franson
Jon Blum
take out Cody Franson in favor of someone like Teemu Laakso or Alex Sulzer and I think you have a deal. Two top prospects is a whole lot to ask for moving down 3 picks and a UFA to be.

Old
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
take out Cody Franson in favor of someone like Teemu Laakso or Alex Sulzer and I think you have a deal. Two top prospects is a whole lot to ask for moving down 3 picks and a UFA to be.
Understandable. I think the Kings are looking for size on the blueline so I would imagine Franson is the key. What if Blum was swapped for someone like Kevin Klein?

Old
03-01-2008, 08:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Understandable. I think the Kings are looking for size on the blueline so I would imagine Franson is the key. What if Blum was swapped for someone like Kevin Klein?
I just don't think the Preds would trade Franson. At this point, he's by far our top prospect. The flyers allegedly wanted him in the Forsberg deal, but had to settle for Parent.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

it wasn't allegedly, Poile himself said that Franson was who they asked for first and Poile wouldn't agree to that.

Also, Laakso is more physical than Franson.

Old
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Sulzer has good size. And it's not like Franson is some Pronger-esque defenseman on the blue line. He's not going to spend the whole game overpowering players. He can do that at times, but he's more finesse than his size would indicate. Think more of a Jay Bouwmeester approach to defense.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 03-01-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old
03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Sulzer has good size. And it's not like Franson is some Pronger-esque defenseman on the blue line. He's not going to spend the whole game overpowering players. He can do that at times, but he's more finesse than his size would indicate. Think more of a Jay Bouwmeester approach to defense.
Bouwmeester is the exact style of defenseman Marc Crawford's system requires. Ideally, the Kings blue line will feature 6 players who can skate and move the puck as well as they can play defense.

Closed Thread